Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first off i am new to the forum so hello to all. I will try and describe my situation as good as possible.

My Duc starts fine and idles great until it gets warmed up. Once warmed up it seems as if the idle is to slow and will stall everyonce in awhile like when i pull up to a stop light. If this was the only thing going on i wouldn't be worried and should be an easy fix. However, once the engine is HOT as in sitting in traffic to and from work, the idle climbs to about 3000 rpm's, way to fast and loud. If i ease the clutch out just a bit as if to almost stall the engine and bring the rpm's back to around 1000 it will stay there for about 5 seconds then climb to 3000 rpm's again without me doing anything.

The tricky thing here is the idle is low at first and high later so i don't think that i can just adjust the idle. Not sure if this is relavant but it is chiped with the fast by (someone) if i recall and has a full set of Term's. Both were already installed when i purchased the bike last summer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, i have no problems taking it to the Ducati dealer (literally 10 minutes away) but i don't want to get ripped off with the super high hourly rates they have. I would prefer have an idea of what is wrong first. The bike is completly ridable to take out for joy rides and around town but i would like to drive it to work more often and that involves driving into Washington DC evary day and with the traffic my clutch hand gets severly cramped bringing the rpm's down.

Thanks everyone and i will try and get some pics of my Ducati posted soon.

P.S. How do you search the forums, can't seem to find the option, i know it is sitting right in my face but i am blind to it.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
More specifics please. Was the bike running properly until recently? How many miles on the bike. When was the last service performed? When you say "full termis" what exactly do you mean?

Look at the part # on the chip and cross reference it with the FBF web site (www.ferracci.com) to make sure it is the right one for your bike and pipes.

Tony

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike would idle low when i purchased it and assumed it would just need to be turned up. It won't stall all the time but enough to be annoying, i am more concerned with the fast idleing issue when the moter is hot. I have Termignoni full exhaust (carbon) and i believe the guy i bought it from had the correct chip as he was very miticulous. My bike has ~13000 miles and had the 12000 mile maitance done according to the seller. I will verify the chip tonight when i get home to make sure though.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I´m going to go ahead and guess that your TPS is off.. If that is off, it gives strange values and the bike can stall alot when cold and just act "funny" when it gets hot enough to turn on the fan.

Talk to your dealer about checking and aligning the TPS.
It COULD be the CO, but I´m thinking not. Could possibly also be a sparkplug issue, but then you´d have problems during steady speed riding..

Is the bike hard to start when cold? (IE: do you need to twist the throttle at startup)

//amullo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike is not hard at all to start and i do not have to touch the throttle. You have to excuse my stupiditly but i am new to Ducati's, could you please tell me what TPS and CO's are? Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
The ECU (Electronic Control Unit) on your bike controls the fuel mixture. It gets its input from multiple sensors to decide what is the best mixture for the conditions. Some of the input to the ECU come from TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), Pressure Sensor, Coolant temperature sensor, rpm sensor and...

Since your bike is idling fine when cold and then starts misbehaving when it warms up, my first inclination is that your temperature sensor is failing.

On the 748, there are two identical temperature sensors. One goes to the temperature display unit and the second one feeds the ECU. If your temperature display unit is working fine, You can swap the ECU sensor and the temperature display sensor to see if your problem goes away.

If you do not have a service manual, go to:

748 Manual

and download the manual for your bike. Locate the two sensors in the manual and swap them. There is also a procedure listed in the manual that will help you to determine if your sensor is bad.

It is not a bad idea to also check your TPS sensor. As mentioned the proper adjustment of the TPS sensor is critical for correct mixture ratio correction by the ECU.

-Fariborz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts