Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Have a 2008 hyper 1100 and had a low idle , I synced the throttle bodies and still low idle , I then drilled the caps on the idle air screws and counted how many turns the screws where out . One was 1 1/4 and the other was 3/4..
So I played with the one that was only out 3/4 ( I read here that they shouldn't need to be out more than 1 1/4 out ) and as I backed out the air screw a full turn = 1 3/4 it idled great and them I started to turn it back in as much as I needed and not more, I settled at 1 1/2 turns out and left the other alone and The bike runs great, Spark plugs are a nice tan color..
All this without a CO meter. How many duc owners adjust these without using a CO meter???and should I put something inplace of the caps I drilled out ( clear silicone )????

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
The caps are there because the feds don't want you messing with the idle screws... Leave them off.

On more than one occasion when my bike has started to idle low, and I know I set it up otherwise, I have taken the air filter out and cleaned the bead of gunk that builds up around the butterfly valves in the throttle bodies thanks to E10 gas (I say thanks to the E10, because I had my bike for several years before this stuff was everywhere and never had this happen). You can use a rag soaked in carb cleaner.

The bead of goo restricts the air flow when the throttle is closed (idle). You probably just swept the dirt under the rug by cracking the air bleed open to compensate. This may not be your situation here, but it has been mine on occasion. Worth having a look.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ty

Thanks, Ill take a look, it's a big job with the hyper to get at the air filter but sounds like I have to bite the bullet on this one...
The caps are there because the feds don't want you messing with the idle screws... Leave them off.

On more than one occasion when my bike has started to idle low, and I know I set it up otherwise, I have taken the air filter out and cleaned the bead of gunk that builds up around the butterfly valves in the throttle bodies thanks to E10 gas (I say thanks to the E10, because I had my bike for several years before this stuff was everywhere and never had this happen). You can use a rag soaked in carb cleaner.

The bead of goo restricts the air flow when the throttle is closed (idle). You probably just swept the dirt under the rug by cracking the air bleed open to compensate. This may not be your situation here, but it has been mine on occasion. Worth having a look.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,457 Posts
Just stick a bottle of injector cleaner or Seafoam in the tank and do it the easy way.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
easy way out ????

I was thinking the same thing last night and also I thought I read here that you pull the idle air screw out and plow some compressed air in to clear thing up a bit ??????? Not sure ?? Is this an option ??
In order to get at the air filter on the hyper the gas tank has to be lifted ( involves a lot of removing everything thats attached to it , almost everything is attached to the gas tank) BUT I think to get at the throttle bodies to clean, the air box may have to come off and even if it doesn't the gas tank will have to be taken off completely in which case I was hoping not to do till I check the valves to make all that work worth while....
Looking for the path of least resistance
Just stick a bottle of injector cleaner or Seafoam in the tank and do it the easy way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
SS904

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the throttle bodies. My bike was idling low to the point it would stall unless I kept the fast idle lever advanced all the time.

Cleaned the black rings built up around the butterflies and I am quite pleased that my ST is idling perfectly now.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
BobM, that's good to hear! Glad it worked for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts