Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok - looking at another bike for the motor. Stated as 944. Any visual clues from the outside on the jugs, or am I going to be able to tell without taking it apart and measuring?

j

·
Registered
154 Posts
No way that I'm aware of to tell from external visual clues . 944 kits use stock cylinders bored and replated from 92 to 94 mm. A compression test should give you an idea . Every 944 piston I've ever heard of is higher compression than the stock one . My haynes manual states that on a stock engine the compression should be approximately 150 psi . My 944 with BCM pistons advertised as 11:1 is over 200 on both cylinders , with ported heads and FCR's on stock manifolds . Be advised that stock bore drop in JE 11:1 pistons will also show much higher compression than stock .

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Many of the replated cyl.s I've seen have had the mfg. casting marks ground off.These are located in the belt run area,you might have to remove a tension adjuster to see it though.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys

·
Registered
662 Posts
Compression check would get you most of the info you need and it would tell you a bit about the top end condition as a bonus.

The hi-comp engines do sound different as well, at least if you hear them before and after. Might be a stretch to say you could walk up to a random bike and pick it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts