Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about a problem I have been having.

I have the Wasp Works intakes and related plumbing.

I am sick of all the oil spray from the open breather attached to the case. I have it run up high near the rear coil like Wasp illustrates to do, but every week or so the rear cylinder is dusted with oil.

Now, reading about the new Panigale, I see mention of a vacuum pump attached to keep vacuum in the cases, and thinking about the cars I have built using a evacuation system plumbed into the header to act as a venturi and create vacuum. I put 1+1 together and got thinking about doing this on my SC. First it would stop the misting of oil, second it might help with ring sealing and add some HP.

Here is a link to the systems used on cars ans planes.

ARC Racing: The Crankcase Vacuum System (CVS)

ET-Performance & Racing Products - Automotive

http://www.skydynamics.com/Information/IAC_Dec11_Pg12-19.pdf

I got it figured out in that I will use the 18mm bung fitting where the narrow band O2 sensor was fitted in the collector. I will make a small venturi tube angled at 45° and slash cut to create a pressure drop behind the opening. Next I will weld on a 1/2 SS pipe fitting to fit a catalectic check valve from a Chevy corvette (one way heat proof valve) Next connect this to the breather.

What'ch think? Madness or not?

Pics to come later/

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Can't hurt and may give good results. For years a company called Krankvent made outrageous claims of increased horsepower by using it. Every magazine test I read of the Krankvent showed zero gains. Haven't heard about them for years until now. Their unit looked like an aluminum cylinder about 4"-5" long and around 1.5" in diameter.

Will the Corvette one way valve open by negative exhaust pressure, positive crankcase pressure, or both? Some high performance crankcase vacuum pumps are electrically driven but that would be too complicated and heavy for a Sport Classic.

Keep us posted.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
The stock breather system pulls a vacuum on the crankcase but also returns any oil mist (caused by blow-by) to the crankcase. Won't your plan simply extract your oil out the exhaust pipe little by little? You need some sort of baffle to separate the oil out and send it back to the sump.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey JC, I have one of those I got from you, its for my project bike and I'm too cheap to buy another for my daily bike.

As far as a baffle goes - the case has baffeling cast into it, plus I will keep the breather/baffle in place and run it to the 1 way check valve. The valve will allow pressure out as well as vacuum in. I dont think anymore oil than I am already loosing will be a problem.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Sounds similar to some extent of the Aella Motor Breather system

Typo-"Babylonia" is supposed to be "blow by"

I have not had any noticable blow-by. The filter does turn rust/brown, but never saturated or wet.

http://www.britcycle.com/products/bunnbreatherkit/Bunn_Breather_Article.pdf

If there was HP to be found, they would patented it by now. It is a small market, with little profit to be made.

Adapting the Bunn two-valve system. You could have the "intake" valve set @ a higher cracking pressure & exhaust with a low cracking pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good article, thanks

Got some parts today

The Check valve -
1/2 stainless pipe -
18mm stainless bung screw -

I have to cut the pipe short and weld it to the bung, then find the thread position and mark it, to weld the venturi tube in the correct clocking.

Some pics

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welded it up and tried it out by blowing some compressed air over the nozzle. Sure enough it was pulling air. I need to find a hose to try it out.

Some pics

1 - 8 of 8 Posts