Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Beaudry is all gone. I got a buddy that lives in Boise that used to track a 916. He's talking about getting back into it. I think you have to go west - way west - for decent roads.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Picked up my new Multistrada 1200 S Touring from MotoCorsa in Portland, OR on October 11 and rode it the long way home to Boise.

Know of two other Multistradas in my group of ride buddys, a 2009 and a 2010.

·
Señor Member
8,041 Posts
When I retire in the next few years I plan to move to Idaho. Looking out towards Meridian or Nampa. Will look for you rare Duc riders.

"in God we trust"

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm here in missoula, and even though there's less people in the city than fit into michigan stadium we have a very comprehensive dealership, less police, and way better pavement. plus our speed limits are ballin awsome. and we have a track with open days. let me know if you ever cruise through and come ride-

·
Still needs a life.
12,408 Posts
When I retire in the next few years I plan to move to Idaho. Looking out towards Meridian or Nampa. Will look for you rare Duc riders.

"in God we trust"
Sr. Potata Roja: Having lived in both the Potato State and the Golden State, I can understand why you would want to retire in Idaho. The best riding is in Northern Idaho. Check out the Moscow and Coeur d'Alene areas before you make any final plans.

·
Still needs a life.
12,408 Posts
I'm here in missoula, and even though there's less people in the city than fit into michigan stadium we have a very comprehensive dealership, less police, and way better pavement. plus our speed limits are ballin awsome. and we have a track with open days. let me know if you ever cruise through and come ride-
Having ridden in Idaho and Montana, I agree with everything you said except the "better pavement" part. There are many Montana roads marked "70 mph" where I did not feel safe going over 60 due to the condition of the pavement.

My aunt lived in Missoula in the 60's while I was a high school student in Lewiston, ID. I remarked to her that roads in Italy built by the Romans were in better shape than the streets of Missoula.

·
Señor Member
8,041 Posts
Sr. Potata Roja: Having lived in both the Potato State and the Golden State, I can understand why you would want to retire in Idaho. The best riding is in Northern Idaho. Check out the Moscow and Coeur d'Alene areas before you make any final plans.
What I've heard about living in the northern part of Idaho is, how to put this gently, most folks don't look too kindly on us who's skin tone is less than gleaming white. I'm not trying to be offensive, just what I've read. I hope I'm wrong and it's just an urban legend.

"in God we trust"

·
Still needs a life.
12,408 Posts
What I've heard about living in the northern part of Idaho is, how to put this gently, most folks don't look too kindly on us who's skin tone is less than gleaming white. I'm not trying to be offensive, just what I've read. I hope I'm wrong and it's just an urban legend.

"in God we trust"
There was an Aryan Nation compound in Hayden Lake (near Coeur d'Alene) in the 90's. Those bozos gave a black eye to the entire state and are long gone. The state is still recovering from the bad press. You probably have similar types in some of the backwoods areas of California.

Moscow is a universty town and very diverse. Lewiston has a small college and is the center of some great riding. Coeur d'Alene is large (for a town in Idaho) and close to Spokane. I suggest you come up some summer and check the area out for yourself.

The Boise area is nice in that you have the amenities of an urban area without having to put up with the hassles of a heavily populated area, but I cannot take living in the desert.

·
Señor Member
8,041 Posts
Thank you for disproving those myths, nothing worse than basing something on old rumors. You are absolutely correct that we, too, here in Cali have some pretty ugly places to live that aren't very inclusive to the general population. At one time here in SoCal we had the head of the western KKK living in a very nice area. Now what about the weather up north, in particular winters? I've read that it can be pretty heavy in the northern part of Idaho. I have friends that live in Meridian, work in Boise, and say it's not too bad there.

"in God we trust"

·
Still needs a life.
12,408 Posts
Winters in the Idaho Panhandle can be rugged. Lewiston is the lowest elevation in the state and is considered a Banana Belt, but you would get tired of just riding the adjoining canyons without being able to get up on the prairies. Depending on the winter, you wouild have an 8-9 month riding season.

I don't know whether or not you would have a longer riding season in southern Idaho. The best riding there is north into the mountains, where you would run into the same winter conditions as northern Idaho.

If I moved back to Idaho, I would consider getting a dual sport bike as there is a lot of good off pavement riding, especially in the canyons south of Lewiston.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Man I'm late getting into this forum. Just bought a ST4 and I live in Boise. Big Twin in boise used to carry Ducati and Guzzi but that's a whole new thread in itself.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Moving on and in

I returned to the Seattle area after a nearly forty year absence. I've had my fill of big city life, traffic and local politics. Also, with the passing of my parents, The Spousal Unit and I decided it would be good to be near family in case one, or both, of us are floating belly up in the aquarium. My daughter and her family wound up in Mountain Home.

I'm retired Air Force, and I have been to Mountain Home. But, I've finally come to realize that not every place has every thing you might want or need. Yeah, three Ducati dealers in the area are handy, but here they are all owned by one corporation. But, even that is better than no Ducati dealer.

So, for better or worse, we have a pending offer on our house in Washington and we are waiting to close on a place in Mountain Home. Any input, tips, ideas would be helpful.

Frankly, I would have rather bought a new bike than another house! >:)

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Greetings. Wow, a thread with 30+ responses here! ha ha. There's talk of what rides our club DesmoNorthwest, will undertake in 2017. Lolo pass is on the list. If that happens, we can bring some Ducati spirit to you! Afterall, "Northwest" is part of our club name (centered here in Seattle area). Perhaps I can ask some of you for your thoughts of our route intinery (sp) when we get closer to resumption of riding season! Ciao for now.

·
Registered
494 Posts
A reply from someone in Seattle..O k a y.
Well, we haven't moved, yet. That event is in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure the riding season is shut down in Idaho, but, when the dust settles and the snows melt, I'll explore and let you know what I've found. Thanks for responding, and sorry it took so long to get back to you.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Well, the move took place in the middle of the local blizzard, of course, but spousal unit and two parrots are now bonafide Mt Home, Idaho residents.

So far, summer weather is hot, but there is usually a breeze. Rain gear is not too useful. I think I have the only Ducati in town. The nearest dealer is in Salt Lake, 230 miles away. There are two relatively close roads that are fun to ride, but one requires an I84 run to Boise. However, the speed limit is 80 mph on i84, so the 30 mile run to the twisties is thankfully short. Since I have stock gearing on my ST3, the bike is happy at the speeds it was designed for. There is one road to Sun Valley that features fast sweepers. Unfortunately, both roads are not really loops, so a turn around is required. The run out of Boise to Idaho city takes about 3 hours. The run out of Mt Home to the Featherville cut off takes about an hour and a half.

The great thing about riding in southern Idaho is that the traffic is minimal compared to western Washington. So far, no one has tried to run me off the road, yet. I just avoid riding on weekends with the drunks in their pickups. The scenery is spectacular, but not Cascades level. People are friendly and you don't really feel like carrying a weapon is vital.

Come to think of it, I haven't been panhandled since I've arrived here. Being panhandled was an almost daily occurrence where I lived in King County.

So far, so good. I love the sounds of the F15s at the base. The sound of freedom. All I need now is someone to ride with. :smile2:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts