Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I received the correct spacers and installed them yesterday with no issues. Hopefully it will warm up here a bit more in several hours and I can go for a ride to see the difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
At Last... Multistrada screen spacers are back!

I found this thread and jumped on the opportunity to buy the Iconic Parts windscreen spacers for my 2014 Multistrada 1200S. In a lengthy discussion in the thread "How's the Wind Protection" https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/642058-how-wind-protection-4.html , you will see the saga of many owners trying to fix the only deficiency on this otherwise perfect motorcycle - wind buffeting due to a poor windscreen design. Going way back, there were spacers such as these that we made for a while by Aztec. Not in business any more.

I am thrilled that I will get a chance to try these. I truly believe that by letting some airflow come up the back of the screen, that the buffeting will not be pulled down by back-pressure to hit us in the face - as it has done with the stock screen for years (apparently - seeing 2018 model complaints still coming in).

BTW... contrary to an earlier post, Iconic has a web page for easy ordering: https://iconicparts.uk. but I guess you guys know that, now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For reference i have the puig touring screen with the blade on. im 6'3" and after i made and fitted my spacers i have removed the blade. mostly ride around with an open face lid too.
Interesting... I had gone to a short Puig screen, but now I have the Iconic spacers for my 2014 Multistrada 1200S. I went back to the stock screen with the Iconic spacers, and feel a definite improvement.

I also have the the Puig touring screen with an MRA X-Screen Tour blade on it. Going to try that with the spacers next. I'm 6' 2".

How's the mechanical stress with that big screen on the spacers?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Interesting... I had gone to a short Puig screen, but now I have the Iconic spacers for my 2014 Multistrada 1200S. I went back to the stock screen with the Iconic spacers, and feel a definite improvement.

I also have the the Puig touring screen with an MRA X-Screen Tour blade on it. Going to try that with the spacers next. I'm 6' 2".

How's the mechanical stress with that big screen on the spacers?
I have the exact same set up. I'm 5.10 and I can now ride the bike with the touring screen. Before, it was completely unrideable for for me and so far, I am happy.
I'll see how good it works in September, I'm off to France for 11 days, with 4 days in the Alps and 2 500 mile+ days. Fingers crossed.
There is a bit of movement of the screen and the Navihalter but I can live with that.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just installed these spacers behind a Cal Sci large windscreen, I have to say they work really well. Maybe too well. Prior to the spacers I never had much buffetting w/ the Cal Sci, but the noise at even surface street speeds was atrocious. Ear plugs were mandatory equipment for me on this bike. With the spacers the noise is gone, I can comfortably ride without earplugs. That's the good news. Bad news with such a large windscreen, at 6'2" my entire head is now sitting in a pocket of still air. Helmet vents on my Neotec don't work at all, even riding with the faceshield up doesn't really help. Would be unbearable on a hot summer day. Next I'll try with the smaller Cal Sci shorty screen.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just installed these spacers behind a Cal Sci large windscreen, I have to say they work really well. Maybe too well. Prior to the spacers I never had much buffetting w/ the Cal Sci, but the noise at even surface street speeds was atrocious. Ear plugs were mandatory equipment for me on this bike. With the spacers the noise is gone, I can comfortably ride without earplugs. That's the good news. Bad news with such a large windscreen, at 6'2" my entire head is now sitting in a pocket of still air. Helmet vents on my Neotec don't work at all, even riding with the faceshield up doesn't really help. Would be unbearable on a hot summer day. Next I'll try with the smaller Cal Sci shorty screen.
Hi @AXSPwr , what size of the CalSci did you install? I'm 6'1", probably would use the same or maybe one size smaller.

My current setup is a PUIG Touring with the Iconic spacers, no buffeting at all, but a lot of wind noise coming from below the helmet once I'm above 60mph.

·
Registered
279 Posts
@fipenna I have the large Cal Sci, as well as the tinted shorty. I thought about getting the XL, but I'm glad I didn't, because as others have mentioned (it's the reason these spacers exist) the size of the screen isn't the issue on the MTS, it's the location and angle.

I've ridden bunches of bikes w/ screens on them, never encountered anything quite like the pocket of dead air I've now got with this bike/screen combo. A bonus, though, is that I'm getting no bugs on my faceshield, and somehow fewer on the windshield too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
@fipenna I have the large Cal Sci, as well as the tinted shorty. I thought about getting the XL, but I'm glad I didn't, because as others have mentioned (it's the reason these spacers exist) the size of the screen isn't the issue on the MTS, it's the location and angle.

I've ridden bunches of bikes w/ screens on them, never encountered anything quite like the pocket of dead air I've now got with this bike/screen combo. A bonus, though, is that I'm getting no bugs on my faceshield, and somehow fewer on the windshield too.
Got it, thanks.
Well, if after testing the shorty you decide for that solution and want to sell me your CalSci L screen, do reach out....

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm going to give my experience because I think it's relevant. I purchased the Iconic spacers for my '10 Multi. Installed them and little did I realize I had 3 different size screws. One ended up poking completely through the nut holder, coming out the back. Very disappointing. Even more so was some time behind the screen. I really did'n get much difference at all. I have the buffeting issue above 70ish and I hoped these would help but they did not.

I tagged Jamie on FB, where I got the info about these from, and never got any reply. Couple months later he did reply to a post where I was showing and telling of my experience. Water was already long down the stream at that point.

So moral of the story, IF you do order up parts, make sure your screws are sized correctly. And maybe think about a clip on deflector to divert wind instead. The results of these parts are very minimal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I too installed the Iconic spacers and the GPS mount. My decision was based solely on this thread. I did not know such a thing existed until I read it here. Totally impressed with the zero buffeting at highway speeds. Totally worth the money IMHO.
As for the GPS mount, again, another outstanding product, well engineered, easy to install and positions that little sucker just right to be seen over my tank bag.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Tried the spacers with the CalSci shorty screen today, still really impressed. Wind noise with this combo is about like a naked bike, just clean air. Before the spacers, this screen was funneling air right into my face/ear area, which lead to tons of high pitched wind noise, and my faceshield getting coated in bug guts. Somehow it seems the entire front of the bike isn't attracting bugs nearly as bad as it did pre-spacer, either. After two decently long rides I'm convinced that's not coincidence, but have no explanation for why. Whatever the reason I'm not complaining, these little pieces of plastic seem to have solved two of my biggest problems with the MTS.

That said, I can't give these things a perfect rating, because the way they're designed makes swapping screens a bigger pain in the ass than it should be. The riser for the bottom of the three mounting screws doesn't attach either to the bike or the windscreen, so the whole assembly just kinda falls apart when you remove the screw, with a high chance you'll drop at least one of the small pieces on the ground in the process. It's not a good design, and could be improved by making the spacer screw in to the bike like the top ones do.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts