Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I weighed it twice because I couldn't believe it. 333 lbs with no gas, 345 with 1/2 tank :eek:! Boy, those old Supersports may not have much power, but they sure can be made lighter!! The only expensive (lighter) thing I've done is Marvic magnesium wheels, although the spaghetti headers, carbon fiber cans and street stuff removal did a lot too. Go for it :D!!
Joe

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Holy Crap ! what diet did you use? Not that the SP's were pigs, but I was pretty suprised when I weighed mine in at 415 with a full tank. Sure miss that bike :(

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy Crap ! what diet did you use? Not that the SP's were pigs, but I was pretty suprised when I weighed mine in at 415 with a full tank. Sure miss that bike :(
I was surprised too because it didn't seem like I did that much! The following stuff is definitely a lot lighter:

Marvic mag wheels
CR 1/2 fairings
Nichols aluminum rear brake rotor
Hindle carbon fiber mufflers and Silmoto spaghetti headers
Lighter (from ST3s) battery
Sharkskinz nose fairing
Woodcraft rearsets and controls
Barnett aluminum clutch plates

Removed:
Rear fender with turn signals and tail light
headlight
horn
sidestand (it was draging in the corners)
front turn signals
left handlebar switch, and probably more stuff that I forget. I also have Superbike forks, Penske shock, Cyclecat top triple clamp and bars/risers, 41 mm FCRs, etc, etc, but that stuff probably doesn't weigh less. With a Nichols flywheel, aluminum clutch basket, lighter Yuasa battery and more Sharkskinz stuff (seat), it could probably shed another 10-15 lbs.
Joe

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Not too surprising, as all that street equipment weighs quite a bit. My old Pantah race bike weighed 325# on the Daytona scales with 1/2 tank of fuel back in 1985, and that was with a tubular steel swingarm.

Try accomplishing low weight with street functionality and you will find the task much more difficult, but still possible, albeit with more cash infusion required. My '99 weighs just 363# with no fuel and has all street equipment, including passenger accommodations, all three gauges, two mirrors and a horn. The SS remains a good candidate for weight reduction, as its air-cooled motor and lack of attention to weight reduction by Ducati enable the effort.

That's why I'd like to see Ducati execute a new SS with a low-weight focus, to create something unique in the market - torquey, light, street-usable and affordable. Until the factory does a new SS, I'm keeping mine.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Now that sounds interesting. I went to Nichols web site and they don't list it.
Yoyodyne sold me a ti rear rotor some years ago. Not quite as light as aluminum, but about 1 1/2 pounds lighter than the stock rotor. It doesn't do much for stopping the bike, but I don't use the rear brake except for holding the bike in place when stopped anyway.

There are plenty of places to reduce weight. Another is the shock spring, if you have an Ohlins unit. Ti replacing steel results in another 1 1/2 pounds, I believe.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Now that sounds interesting. I went to Nichols web site and they don't list it.
I bought the last one Nichols had a few years ago. I think it weighed 6 oz. They discontinued it because I guess they were worried someone might actually try to brake with it :rolleyes:. I don't use my rear brake at the track. You can see it in this pic:

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
I weighed it twice because I couldn't believe it. 333 lbs with no gas, 345 with 1/2 tank :eek:! Boy, those old Supersports may not have much power, but they sure can be made lighter!! The only expensive (lighter) thing I've done is Marvic magnesium wheels, although the spaghetti headers, carbon fiber cans and street stuff removal did a lot too. Go for it :D!!
Joe
hallo,

thats really light, my SS weighs 345lbs and thats with everything for the street like lights,indicators,sidestand,... removed.
i also have magnesium marvics,carbon fuel tank,light weight battery,light digital dash,...

henk!!!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Henk, is yours a pre-1999 with 1/2 fairings? I think the FI bikes were a bit heavier and the 1/2 fairings save a surprising amount of weight.
Joe

·
Registered
322 Posts
moto wheels has some lithium batteries under 2 lbs for something like $250. that has to be the most weight savings for the least $.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Henk, is yours a pre-1999 with 1/2 fairings? I think the FI bikes were a bit heavier and the 1/2 fairings save a surprising amount of weight.
Joe
hallo,

yes it is the old supersport frame.
it has a complete light weight fairing like from a supermono,it's my trackbike.
like a said the weigt was with magnesium marvic's,light weight fairing,carbon fuel tank(soon to be replaced with an alu tank and kaemna cover),alu velicchi swingarm,carbon frontfender and clutch cover,alu rearset and clip-ons,small battery,...
so i done quite some things to get the weight down.

henk!!!

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I bought the last one Nichols had a few years ago. I think it weighed 6 oz. They discontinued it because I guess they were worried someone might actually try to brake with it :rolleyes:. I don't use my rear brake at the track. You can see it in this pic:

Joe
Dang, that is very light. I wonder what the issue is with aluminum brake discs? too much wear? too weak? Maybe they just don't feel good or something.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Joe
THAT is light!:eek:
My brothers 1098 racebike weighs in at ~380 with 1.5 gallons of fuel, and that has full CF fairings.

//amullo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts