Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its a 98 916 w/ the 955 kit put in by ducati...... is it better to run only 97? and which gas station sells this, sunoco?

i have no clue about this...
thanx guys

G

·
0 Posts
use 91 or 93...whatever the highest available is in your area..
i've never seen 97 anywhere....usually its 87,89,91, or 93...and some places will sell 100+ octane race gas (but its leaded and i'd advise against using it)

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
Ok lets try to understand something, Who told you to run 97 octane? A Ducati shop that installed your 955 Kit or the engine builder? Do you know the Compression Ratio?

I dont have the exact numbers regarding compression ratio's. It comes down to who built the motor and how they set everything up. Standard flat top pistons or is it running high comp pistons? Most Ducati's from the factory run 10.5:1-11.5:1 compression ratio. The 05 99R runs at 12.3:1 and runs on 92 octane, plain super unleaded. Im pretty positive most big bore kits 853/955 will set up for a 12.3-12.5:1 ratio and will run fine on pump gas. Running a higher ratio means you will have to run race fuel 97 and up to 110 etc...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
very good point............ i have no clue, i'll have to make some phone calls and verify some things.......

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Check whether whoever told you to run 97 octane was European or American - the Euros usually specify their petrol/gas grades in the RON standard, which runs about 4-5 points higher in numeric value than the equivalent American gas standard (Ron+Mon)/2 ....so UK 97 = US 93 or thereabouts....

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Normally you should always try to run the lowest octane possible in your bike, because it will make more power that way.

Higher octane gas burns slower and has a higher point of combustion, reducing "pinging" or "Dieseling" of your engine.

I run Euro 95 octane in mine (the lowest possible in Sweden) and I have no problems with compression 12:1 and VERY high revs.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
'05 749s=12.3:1 on 89 with no problems at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts