Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Monster 900 Sie and want to go with wire rims. what is the least expensive way to accomplish this? Any pics to make me even more envious?

·
Registered
142 Posts
look into finding some sport classic rims it bight be the easiest way to go

·
Registered
775 Posts
You could try finding a Sport Classic rider who is changing his wire spoked wheels for cast wheels. I just happen to know a guy in the UK who is in the process of this swop, the Marchesinis arrived yesterday!

Send me a PM if you are interested. I also have a carbon fibre nose fairing for a Monster.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would seriously consider whether to get wire wheels. Look at the sport classic forum, and you'll see that a lot of owners want to get rid of the rims because they're heavy and make the bike less stable. I had a sport classic, and would agree. They look great, but performance wise, I don't think they can compete. Alpina makes some nice ones though that I think are lighter and allow for tubeless tires, but they're expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
The one criterion you specifically mention is cost, so I will avoid detailed mention of the Alpina wheels from PAKBikes, a site sponsor here (though they may still have some first generation Alpina wheels on sale).

If you're just into cruising, and not going to do much high-performance or track riding, the Sport Classic wheels should work for you. You WILL feel a difference in handling, as they are a good bit heavier than your Brembo three-spokes. You might think something is wrong with your suspension, but that is the effect caused by the heavier unsprung rotating mass.

Go for the aluminum wheels off the PS or SC 1000, avoid the steel wheels from the GT.

Good luck ,let us know what you decide to do!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2001 Monster 900 Sie and want to go with wire rims. what is the least expensive way to accomplish this? Any pics to make me even more envious?
Try PakBikes, the Alpina wheels weight as much as the Brembo OEM 3spoke ones, this way the weigth difference wont be so noticeable...my $0.02

·
Registered
429 Posts
The SC1000 and GT1000 both come with the real heavy steel rims with spokes that everyone wants to get rid of (look for good sets for around $350.00.) The PS1000 had nice aluminum wheels with spokes.

So, get the PS1000 wheels, way lighter! I just saw a brand new never mounted SET sell on Ebay for $550.00. Keep your eyes open for them.

Spending $1700.00 on wheels for a bike that's only worth 3-4K is insane IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
The SC1000 and GT1000 both come with the real heavy steel rims with spokes that everyone wants to get rid of (look for good sets for around $350.00.) The PS1000 had nice aluminum wheels with spokes.
I am pretty certain my '06 SC has aluminum rims, not steel. Only the GT came with steel rims. Maybe you're referring to the newer bikes?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have a set from my Paul Smart that I'm considering selling. about 1500 miles on them, with the orignal tires, no rotors, still in great shape. I don't think these wheels are any less stable than the marchesini's I have now, I just wanted lighter wheels and to be able to mount 4 piston brakes.

which brakes are on the monster? if you have the 4 piston brakes the PS wheels may not work for you. if you have the two piston these will work fine. if you'd like the original PS brakes I have those too.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The 4 pistons will work if your comfortable trimming some material off the back or your calipers (kinda dicey to me).

What to you want to get for your wheels/brakes?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts