Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been trying to get accurate information on installing Speedymoto Triple Clamp onto a Sport Classic. I am running Ohlins Paul Smart Forks (50mm/54mm)and understand that Speedymoto also makes Triple Clamps for the stock Monster forks which are also 50mm/ 54mm.

According to Speedymoto, they say our instrument gauges and headlight bracket will mount directly to these Triple Clamps. Can others confirm this, because I have searched and read on a few old forum posts that a special bracket would be needed.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I have the CNC Racing billet Monster triples http://www.bellissimoto.com/images/Triple_Clamps.JPG on my Sport 1000 which are very similar to the SpeedyMoto ones. The gauges will bolt onto the threaded ears on the upper triple. The headlight bracket will require a simple adaptor plate or two to be used to connect it to the upper triple but will screw directly to the lower triple. I dislike the stock Sport Classic headlight bracket but after seeing all the vibration islolating engineering that went into it, I used it to mount both the gauges and headlight just like stock. The thought of vibration damaged clocks or a headlight going out at night was the motivating factor.

Another thing is the top of the stock SC top triple swoops downward gullwing style about 3/8" to where the fork tubes pass through them. The billet Monster upper triple is straight across the top, even with the stem nut. If you slip the forks into the top Monster triple so they are flush with the top of the clamp, the clamp will be lower down on the tubes than stock by about 3/8" so the bike will be 3/8" lower up front. Hope this description is clear.

Addendum: Checking the CNC top clamp it too is cut lower than even with the stem nut so the bike will only be about 1/8' lower by eyeball. So ignore the second paragraph.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Soang and Duckyboy,

Do either of you have closeup pics of how you attached the instrument cluster and more so of the adapters you used for the headlight bracket.

I also considered using the Corse Dynamic headlight and completely removing the need for the bracket but vibration and mounting my turn signals were a big concern. Never liked the handlebar end turn signals.

What if I used the headlight bracket from an old Monster? I imagine it would bolt right up....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I also use the Corse Dynamic headlight which gets rid of the bracket and makes for a clean install. I currently do not have the oem gauge mounted to the triple. It is taken out of the housing and tucked under the tank waiting a motogadget solution. I also do not use front signals and rely on the old fashion arm signals.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The quality of the anodising on my Speedimoto clamps wasn't great. The lower clamp turned purple after sitting on the bench, out of the direct sun, after two months whilst I was away at work.
In this part of the world where I live in getting things done can be a slow process, the clamp was sitting at a plating place for 6 months before it got re-anodised and I kinda lost interest because of the time lag.

Don't forget to post pics once yours is done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sent the pics belows to DuckyBoy earlier this year, although he apparently went with CNC instead :D

I found that the instrument cluster was about a mm or so off (was told 30mm vs 29mm by SpeedyMoto back then); ended up using some hardware that I had laying around as adapters. I ditched the headlight bracket for the LSL brackets so can't comment on that swap. There's a pic over at SpeedyMoto that addresses both issues, though.

Pic

Pic

Pic

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Sent the pics belows to DuckyBoy earlier this year, although he apparently went with CNC instead :D

I found that the instrument cluster was about a mm or so off (was told 30mm vs 29mm by SpeedyMoto back then); ended up using some hardware that I had laying around as adapters. I ditched the headlight bracket for the LSL brackets so can't comment on that swap. There's a pic over at SpeedyMoto that addresses both issues, though.

Pic

Pic

Pic
Yeah, Cylus sent me some good pics of what is needed but I went a different route using the stock mount for gauges and headlight. This necessitated a simple piece of right angle aluminum with a few holes which was powdercoated black along with the headlight bracket. I have some Monster headlight brackets for sale.

The CNC Racing triples are art in metal with perfect machining and finish. On the bike they look the biz. IMO They're made of ergal (7000 series aluminum) rather than the 6000 series. Being harder they don't scratch as easily as 6000 series and can be made lighter with equal strength or stronger with equal weight compared to stock. They're still black as new after sitting 18 months in my livingroom. Yep, no wife. I didn't weigh them before putting them on. Don't forget to upgrade to tapered steering bearings when you change triples.

No pics at this time as there have been some delays while the bike is undergoing changes.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I had the Speedymoto triple and the Corse Dynamics headlight on my Sport1000.

I used both of them together so I did not have to make a mount for the headlight. The gauges mounted directly to the top triple.

Matt is the one that installed both pieces. He is currently putting together a "triple clamp and headlight package" for the Sport1000.
You can contact him at [email protected] or call him at 916.369.2509 for more details.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the great pics and information. I think I have all the information I need to install either the Speedymoto or CNC triples. I am leaning towards the CNC Triple after reading some of the reports of fading anodysing on the Speedymotos but then again Speedymoto's come with the tapered steering bearing... Decisions Decisions. Really wish I could order one of each so I can see the differences between the two myself.

Matt is the one that installed both pieces. He is currently putting together a "triple clamp and headlight package" for the Sport1000.
You can contact him at [email protected] or call him at 916.369.2509 for more details.
Moto,

I see you guys sell some of CNC items but don't list their Triple Clamps on your website. I will reach out to Matt to get more information on the package.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
reports of fading anodysing on the Speedymotos but then again Speedymoto's come with the tapered steering bearing... Decisions Decisions.
All anodizing eventually fades if left out in the sun and elements. Speedymoto has always exchanged faded product for us--unlike many other companies that we have dealt with.

-M

·
Registered
258 Posts
All anodizing eventually fades if left out in the sun and elements. Speedymoto has always exchanged faded product for us--unlike many other companies that we have dealt with.

-M

Ok, so Speedymoto will exchange faulty product with the dealer, but in my case the dealer ignored my email telling them of the problem. There were already purple blemishes on the bottom clamp when it arrived, which shows the dealer's quality control isn't faultless either, and after 2 months on a bench waiting to be installed the bottom clamp was completely purple, it wasn't left out in the sun or elements. The top clamp is still black after 18 months sitting in my shed.

I must get around to fitting it now that the bottom clamp has been re-anodised.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Just get them painted or powder coated before you even install them...save yourself the headache of dis-assembly later. The WILL fade..

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally had my Triple Clamps installed

·
Registered
465 Posts
Looks great! So those are Speedymoto triple clamps for a Monster? What Ohlins forks are you using with them?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct these are Speedymoto's Monster Triple Clamps for 50/54 forks. The forks are for a Paul Smart that were revalved. Here are a couple more pics...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts