Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
The Dude
4,391 Posts
Sick.
Yamaha had the bike that year and Rossi never had pressure like he had from his own teammate on an equal machine. My guess is that that Rossi may never return because that situation will never be duplicated again.
I'm sure Rossi still has something close to what he had in the video, Ducati needs to give him a bike he can feel confident riding.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I am a ducatista to heart, and when rossi came into the family, its like all was good with the world. It saddens me to see such talent and true passion for the sport, get killed riding the current bike. Its hard to say, but if he is staying in Gp, than i would rather see him elsewhere simply to see an athlete at work, doing what he loves to do. :(
Now if he were to go to wsbk, and ride the panigale.... :eek:

·
Registered
194 Posts
You will have to buy him a Honda or a Yamaha then ;-)
hahaha !! funny but sad

I am a ducatista to heart, and when rossi came into the family, its like all was good with the world. It saddens me to see such talent and true passion for the sport, get killed riding the current bike. Its hard to say, but if he is staying in Gp, than i would rather see him elsewhere simply to see an athlete at work, doing what he loves to do. :(
Now if he were to go to wsbk, and ride the panigale.... :eek:
Interesting idea.. but i dont think he will leave the big boys league.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Something just occurred to me. Ducati has been very successful in WSBK (duh!) because you have to start of with a street legal bike AND they have generally had the rule advantages that allow 2 cylinder bikes to be competitive. Ad to that the fact that the top end Ducati sport bikes start off as much more expensive exotics compared to say Honda or Yamaha, which for all of their technology and performance, are still built to a different price point. Arguably, BMW and Aprilia are building bikes to a similar level as Ducati, but I have to wonder if BMW actually make a serious profit on their 1000RR or if is has been a "loss leader" so far just to get folks through the door. It seems to sell for very cheap considering what you are getting for the money.
With that said, Ducati's ACTUAL success in MotoGP has been fairly scarce. MotoGP 4 stroke racing in its 11th season IIRC and they have won how many times? Once. Yamaha has won 5 times and Honda has won 4. Sure, Ducati is spending a LOT of money in salary for Rossi, but have they ever really had the piles of cash to compete with the big Japanese makers? Look at recent F1 history. Sure you have the occasional head scratcher like Schumacher winning with Benetton and Brawn wining with leftover Honda gear and new Mercedes engines, but typically, it is purely a game of cubic dollars.....or cubic Euros as the case may be. Of course, that may change now assuming that Audi feels that MotoGP is worth the money and effort.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Given Stoner's recent and past immature comments. "Rossi has more ambition then talent" Post incident comment last year after the rain crash with Rossi....and then again his comment Rossi's talent is with the media (implying not with talent in riding). So, Stoner has been a bit of an ass......but if he were riding the Duc I think it would be up in the top 3.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Given Stoner's recent and past immature comments. "Rossi has more ambition then talent" Post incident comment last year after the rain crash with Rossi....and then again his comment Rossi's talent is with the media (implying not with talent in riding). So, Stoner has been a bit of an ass......but if he were riding the Duc I think it would be up in the top 3.
Not so sure. I think Stoner is very good but no better and maybe not as good as Lorenzo. I also don't think that he is a good as Rossi was in his prime. I may be wrong, but Stoner won his first time because Ducati appeared to have nailed the 800cc formula dead on the first year and the others caught up later. Yamaha won every year after that until 2011, when Honda was back on top. With that said, I think that Rossi's experience the last year or so at Yamaha indicated that the team felt that he was past his prime and that Lorenzo was now the lead dog, even though Rossi won in 2009. IMO, Rossi is in a similar position to Schumacher at MErcedes. Yeah, they are better than you and I will ever dream of being and still better than most of the guys in the field, but definitely a step slower than they were a few years back.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't think that Rossi is gone yet.

Two years ago at Laguna, no he didn't win but he did something just a spectacular.

Second race after comming back from that broken leg.
He was in 5th place, looking like Spies was going to pass him and put him down to 6th.

Rossi said to himself "that's not good enough"
Those last 5 laps he put himself up into third place.

On the cool down lap you could see he was just spent.

Give him a bike to ride, He'll do it again.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,892 Posts
Any other rider would have been penalised for leaving the track to gain an unfair advantage, which has happened to a couple of riders in various divisions the last couple of years.
That said I really don't think Rossi meant to put his bike on the dirt, I think he expected Stoner to bottle it and move over to let him through.
They both had a lot of luck that day as that manoeuvre had the potential to wipe them both out.

·
Official Retired Person
7,429 Posts
For a couple of years there, we got to watch Michael Schumacker and Valentino Rossi, both at the height of their careers and abilities, perform on the track. Both were fantastic to watch. I said several times during those years "We are watching the best driver and best rider ever!" I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted. We are not likely to see that happen again in our lifetime. I wish I was wrong.

Michael is driving again and he's still great to watch. Rossi is still riding and he's still great to watch. Enjoy each. Then, be prepared to tell your grandkids what you got to see.

·
comrade moderator
26,986 Posts
I remember watching a 250GP race in the mid-nineties and seeing Rossi take the lead, then a few laps later slow and drop back to fifth place, then repass those same riders to take the win by a margin.

:eek::cool:

:alien:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I remember watching a 250GP race in the mid-nineties and seeing Rossi take the lead, then a few laps later slow and drop back to fifth place, then repass those same riders to take the win by a margin.

:eek::cool:

:alien:
So skilled and so bored. Lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts