Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I really like the S4R and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions to share.

The bike I want has done 44 000km.

What kind of things should I check/look for when checking the bike? or what kind of maintenance should I expect with those specs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The owner says that the belts have been changed recently along with tires, air filter and oil. I wont believe him unless he shows some proof. I sent him a message asking about the valve and rocker maintenance as well as other records, lets see what he says. I really hope the bike would be in decent shape because I really like the S4R.

One thing that crossed my mind is the mileage. There's always people doing scams with mileage in various ways. Is it easy to fiddle with mileage with S4R or in Ducati bikes in general? I noticed that the S4R speedometer has a sticker with various serial numbers including the date of manufacture that I could possibly match with frame number or some other serial number in the manual, any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
If someone has played with the mileage and decided to set it at 44000 km that would be a little strange, wouldn’t it ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If someone has played with the mileage and decided to set it at 44000 km that would be a little strange, wouldn’t it ?
I don't know, more like if he disconnected the cables so it wouldn't record anything above 44000 km or that he simply bought one second hand from ebay. They're not that pricey on ebay.

S4R has a digital mileage so a powerdrill trick won't work.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Check the fuel tank for leaks. They tend to crack where spot welded to the rear frame mount. Look at the rear of the tank, on the left side. If its leaking, it'll drip on the low(kickstand) side.
Ask if the fuel filter has ever been replaced.
Fork oil?
Check if the regulator/rectifier has been replaced. Look at connector & the wires too. If is hasn't been, it soon will be.
Of course, make sure the seller has the red key, and the code card is nice too. Both these items tend to get lost.
Have fun!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the fuel tank for leaks. They tend to crack where spot welded to the rear frame mount. Look at the rear of the tank, on the left side. If its leaking, it'll drip on the low(kickstand) side.
Ask if the fuel filter has ever been replaced.
Fork oil?
Check if the regulator/rectifier has been replaced. Look at connector & the wires too. If is hasn't been, it soon will be.
Of course, make sure the seller has the red key, and the code card is nice too. Both these items tend to get lost.
Have fun!
Thanks for the tips, I'll add these in to my checklist.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you join a Ducati Owners Club, then u become eligible to join https://my.ducati.com/ where you "register" your Ducati bike/s. You will then have access to digital versions of the Ducati Card, the owner's manual and spare parts catalogue of your motorcycle. To register on my.ducati.com, first go to Ducati: Moto, MotoGP & Superbike , then scroll down to where it says join my.ducati ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I asked the owner about service records and if the valve clearance and rockers has been checked, he just replied that timing belts and service just done, rockers and clearance is fine.

To me it means he has nothing to show for the maintenance history and everything is based on words and trust. The only problem is that I don't trust people without actual proof haha. I'll still probably go and see it and do a test run but I'm not too convinced at the moment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts