Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
But MAYBE NOT! I know some of you all have some expensive toys, but check out this deal I got. I bought a 98 748 the other day for $6500 from a very nice gentleman here in norther Illinois. He has was the original owner and had all the dealer receipts (something like $4500) from the same dealer from the the day he bought it, now in my possession. The bike came with very nice front and rear race stands, a cover, and a flawless biposto tail. The machine has Arrow pipes, a chip, carbon fibre bits, and an 853 KIT INSTALLED 1200 MILES AGO!!!! I have to say I was not ready for that sound, this - bike - puuuuurrrrrs. Some of you will know what I mean when I say BLLAAAAAAAAT - UUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHMMM. Also it has some sort of 'racing clutch' and a carbon vented clutch cover. I have to contact this gentleman again to discus details like this and get it all written down so I can print it out, as he also said he had regeared it (the sproket) but I can't remember the number he threw out. Oh yah, the bike has 1200 miles on the engine but 9600 on the bike. The big service was done early with the engine kit, obviously.
The only thing I would complain about (let me tell you this runs flawlessly) is that the bike is a little 'stickered up'. Now I know some of you guys out there go for that sponsored look and that's perfectly cool, I understand the racing heritage you're going for, but it's not my style, and I'm 24. I'd rather let the bike speak for itself...when you're Jet Li there's no reason to talk sh**, you know?

Thanks for the minute guys, let me know how much you think this would be worth in clean red with a white tail, with everything in mind. It has the bronze frame and 3-spoke wheels. I have a number in mind but it really only matters what others think it's worth on an estimate (I know it's priceless to me!). No pictures yet, sorry.

Matt

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Jealous? Nah. Happy for you. And happy for me when I bought my '02 998 biposto last Spring. Came with additional mono tail and 1/2 TI Silmotor system...4K mi. on the clock, for $8500. Runs like a charm.

bruce19

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think that that is a good price. I'm originally from northern Illinois--now live in southern Wisconsin. To compare, around three months ago I picked up a completely stock, totally mint one owner 1995 916 for $6,700. The bike has 2,600 miles on it. I was looking for a stock bike because I'd rather do the mods myself--so it was a no brainer. During this time of year, in the area that we live, it's still kind of a buyer's market. If the bike is mint, the mods you have sound great. As long as they were installed properly, and it sounds like you have the documentation that says they were, it was a very good price.........

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW! Now YOU guys know how to shop! Especially that 916! Thanks a bunch guys I gotta go to class. Really I'm just so thrilled to have one, I've been waiting for like 3 years and been shopping for one since August and shopping in earnest since January, but you know how it goes, when I started I didn't want to spend much and just fix it up, but no buyers remorse yet! =) Honestly I think this is the bike for me and I'll probably have it for the rest of my life (I have loyalty like that)!

-one happy dude in Illinois :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmmm, the original owner rode that bike around 1350 miles a year (average), that's 112.5 miles a month :eek: That's exactly the amount of miles I do weekly on my commute to work. If I want a good return later, I guess I'm done riding for this month. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yah but he had a V rod with $10k into it in the garage and, get this, a '04 or '05 quadruple black z06 $100k total investment. When I say quad black: paint, wheels, top, interior. Part of that investment was an amazing suspension, it was lowered to the point of being like 2" off the ground. I jokingly said I'll bet you can't even get that out of the driveway, he looked at me and pointed to two 2" x 8"s on the wall... Now I'm a mopar guy but I wanted to hear it run so bad (completely new engine) but I didn't bother him about it.
This guy definately had other toys to play with. He said he hadn't really even ridden the Ducati much in the last few years because he's been playing with the V rod and, mainly, the Corvette.

·
Registered
835 Posts
i got my 98 916 (big bore 955) w/ plenty of miles, but 25,000 miles for trading my 04 yfz450..... its a great deal for me!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys I didn't want to start a new thread for this. The one thing the bike didn't come with is the owner's manuals and I'm wondering how you do all the suspension tinkering, as once I begin to get a feel for the bike I know I'll be the guy who's always messing with something trying to get it 'just so'.

Any advice is great, thanks.

Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.