Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

I think something is wrong/off with my seat

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  batman137 
#1 ·
new to me 2015 1200S DVT

It came with the seat riser already on (no rear riser), and it's obviously rubbed a little on the side panels (see pic). I figured something wasn't quite right and so I looked online at some diagrams, and I noticed a few pieces that I didn't seem to have on my seat, and on the frame of the bike where the seat rests.

I ordered the bracket (part #3) and two "special screws" (part #6) and installed it on the seat pan (it is installed in the pic).

The seat is much more level now (thank god), but it slides back and forth even more now. Additionally, before I added the bracket, the seat riser was rubbing marks on the side panels (you can see it in the pic). With the riser on, it doesn't rub anymore, but the very front looks way off. I'm kind of confused.

Additionally, there is a threaded hole that seems to be missing something. It looks like it is part #8 and #9, but I don't know what it is. It seems that it interfaces with the seat somehow?

Here is a link to the parts diagram (go to page 112/113 in the link)
https://issuu.com/ducatiomaha/docs/ducatiomaha_2015_mts1200s?e=1222863/14468486

Any help info would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
In your first picture the seat is nowhere near being attached in the front. From memory, it looks like you have the riser on upside down but I could be wrong on that. It it's certainly not engaged with the tabs that it slides over. Let me see if I can grab a pic.

#3 ·
Ok. I’m wrong about the bracket being on upside down, but I’m still certain your not engaging it in the slots in the front

Pic 1 is how the seat should fit
Pic 2 is the bracket
Pic 3 is of the slots below and behind the tank that the bracket slides into.

#5 ·
I have the bracket installed on the seat the same way you do. Strange that it wasn't on the seat to begin with. I guess the previous owner took it off.

I'm pretty sure it's interfacing with the slots on the bike correctly but I will double check.

Can you take a pic of the entire underside of your seat and the seat area on the bike so I can compare if there is anything else missing (like the bracket was), because I still don't know what goes into that threaded hole in the bike.

Also, does your seat slide forward or backwards at all when it's all together?

#7 ·
I'll get more pix this evening. I honestly don't think the riser could possibly be socketed correctly into the slots on the bike. The front of your seat sits at least a couple inches too high for that to be possible. Looks to me like the riser is sitting on top of the slots.

And no, the seat doesn't budge once it's down.

#8 · (Edited)
ok...what in the hell is that? Any idea what it does?

If you look at the bottom of the seat pan, on that side, there is a cutout that seems to interface with it for some reason. Perhaps that is something I need to keep the seat from sliding forwards and backwards? That, or there is some other thigns attached to the bottom of your seat pan that I don't have.

After further inspection, that round silver thing I am missing must be there to keep the seat from moving backwards. I ordered one from Ducati Omaha, but of course it will take them a week to get it in stock.

#19 ·
Just wanted to give an update.

The part came in and now my seat is how it should be. It lines up correctly (like all the other pictures online), and it doesn't slide back and forth at all.

It also changed the angle of the seat to a much flatter profile. I'm no longer angled towards the tank, and my butt is much better off. I don't have to stand up for relief nearly as much.

Huge improvement!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.