Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all/admin. By all accounts it looks like I've been screwed out of $500... a "tip" from a forum member who is now banned. I'd like to share the information with others on the site to avoid anyone else getting shafted. Am I allowed to do so?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks -- here is the deal...
Awhile back I posted a WTD ad for a set of slip ons for my new to me Monster 796. A few days later, I got a message from "Markelu" stating the following:

The last time I purchased Headlights from William Ward.
He mentioned he had for sale. Hit him up at [email protected]

Cheers Mate and stay safe

So I sent a query to the email above, and sure enough, William Ward did have a nice set of Termignoni's for sale, for only $500 -- less than half the price of retail. They were in perfect shape. I thanked him for the quick response but said I needed to wait until the end of the month to act on it.
Payday comes, I sell a few parts, and I have the necessary cash in my paypal account to go ahead and purchase. The email communication seems good, and he asks me to pay via friends and family so he doesn't incur additional (and quite frankly, annoying) paypal fees. Upon doing so he promises shipping information by the end of the day (this past Tuesday).
Well, nothing has come up.

I scrolled back in my messages here, and notice that Markelu has since been banned.

I made a claim with paypal (on the weekend, so I'll have to wait), but have realized that the email address for William Ward is different from the paypal address I paid to. And of course, it's listed as "outside of the US, unverified". My worry is that as I paid via Friends and Family, there is likely no buyer protection. A portion of the payment was made with my credit card, so perhaps I can claim something back there. It wasn't an "unauthorized payment" so I think I am out of luck with paypal.

A few hints -- re-read the bold text above... I don't mean to be xenophobic, but the first hint of something sketchy is poor English. Non-native English speakers usually apologize for their poor English (which is usually better than most people anyway).
Never pay for goods through friends and family. Selling via paypal and incurring fees is a cost of doing business. This does provide you the consumer with buyer protection.
If someone sends you a picture, do the "search google for image" trick... you may find it elsewhere online, which is a sure sign of a spam.

Karma is a bitch... I hope this guy/guys gets what's coming to them. Be careful out there, kids.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There's no restrictions about warning other's about a possible scam, tell us what happened, post away my friend.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ugh. Sorry to hear you got screwed like this. Good reminder, though, thanks. Scammers will keep getting creative and we should be cautiously skeptical, yet some trust is necessary in any virtual community too. When in doubt, bail.

·
Registered
1993 750SS
110 Posts
That sucks. I got an IM from probably the same guy. He used a different name though, and he's since been banned.

Andrew.Jack2233

[email protected]

^ Don't send anything to this prick

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is way less of this here than on duc.org. There it has been out of hand for a while!! Why I shut down my profile there...

But yes, anytime someone with low post count is selling stuff or recommending sellers/buyers, BEWARE.

·
Official Retired Person
7,355 Posts
Don't punish yourself too much. Learn from it. I was hit in the same way a few years ago. "Seller" had no intention of shipping anything. I felt like a real sucker afterward but figured later I had learned a good lesson. A $200 a session leason!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got off the phone with the credit card company. No coverage for any automotive purchases, and also because it was only a portion of the payment. Interesting. Read the fine print in your credit card statements! Paypal is my last hope... and I'm not holding my breath with them!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What hurts is I'm always lecturing my 80+ year old parents on interweb scams, and I got taken myself.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,319 Posts
This is the classic "third-party scam." You get contacted by someone saying they know someone else with the item you want and send you their contact info. You make the deal and nothing ever arrives. It is unfortunate, but there's nothing we can do here at the site about it except ban the scammer after someone has told us about the incident. If this ever happens to you, PLEASE TELL US ABOUT IT BY REPORTING IT TO A MODERATOR.

NEVER buy something from a third-party unless you are completely sure it is legit. Especially if the person referring you to them has no history on the forum.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep. It's official, no help from Paypal, so I'm out over $700 Canajun dollars. Fuck me! Hindsight is 20/20... there were some red flags that I should have been more aware of! Whomever this is, he/she/they will get theirs in the end!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
The timeline on your complaint (four days, right?) could mean it is still possible for a reasonable explanation, but it is not looking good. For what it is worth, I was not able to find that name or email connected with any similar fraud complaint on the 'net.

The other guy mentioned by someone else in this thread has been stealing since last September all over the place on forums.

You must have some sort of international fraud complaint department in Canada, in the US it might be the FBI. You should notify gmail at least.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
That sucks. I got an IM from probably the same guy. He used a different name though, and he's since been banned.

Andrew.Jack2233

[email protected]

^ Don't send anything to this prick
There is an open [email protected] case on this fellow

First hop:
16-Jun-20 14:53
102.89.3.66 andrew.jack2233 [email protected]
[ [email protected] ]
role: AfriNIC TEAM
address: Raffles Tower - 11th Floor
address: Cybercity
address: Mauritius
phone: +230 403 5100
fax-no: +230 466 6758
admin-c: CA15-AFRINIC

Second hop:
Nigeria:
16-Jun-20 06:56
197.210.64.55 andrew.jack2233 [email protected]
[ [email protected] ]
organisation: ORG-MN1-AFRINIC
org-name: MTN Nigeria
org-type: LIR
address: Yellodrome building, adeola hopewell street, Victoria island
address: Victoria island
phone: +08031230141
phone: +08039029004
admin-c: BRM1-AFRINIC
tech-c: ISP1-AFRINIC
mnt-ref: AFRINIC-HM-MNT
mnt-ref: MTNNIGERA1-MNT
mnt-by: AFRINIC-HM-MNT
source: AFRINIC # Filtered

person: Business Risk Management
address: Golden Plaza Building, Falomo roundabout, ikoyi
phone: +08031230141
nic-hdl: BRM1-AFRINIC
abuse-mailbox: [email protected]
person: Internet Services Planning
address: Yellodrome building, adeola hopewell street, Victoria island
phone: +08039029004
nic-hdl: ISP1-AFRINIC

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I'm sorry you got duped. I agree the fees suck, but that's the cost of doing wildly convenient global financial transactions.

If the seller asks for "Friends and Family" to avoid fees but you want the protection, buy it yourself. There are several websites that calculate what the sellers fees are. Plug in your value and they will calculate the additional percentage. Then pay that larger sum as a real transaction that provides some legal protections. Here's an example of one.

You could have made a standard purchase of $515.24 and had buyers protection, and the seller still recieves their $500 asking price.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts