Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..except, our single Ducati dealer went bankrupt and the closest one is on the other side of the state. My current ride is a 2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC with 5,000 miles that I bought new in Aug 2016. I can do an oil change but that's about the extent of my mechanical know how.

I'd like to buy a new Monster but on this (and elsewhere) forum have read about the frequency of repairs, the difficulty of repairs (due to the bike's design), and the difficulty of the supply chain for parts. On another forum one rider was lamenting that his bike is inoperable and the part has taken months to get here.

Is the Monster a good bike for an occasional rider/never wrencher? I like the way the Monster sounds, plus it's about 200 pounds lighter than my TEX.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Do you have a local mechanic for your TEX? If you don't then buying a Ducati would put you in the same situation. If you do, go ask if they can handle the routine stuff needed on them.
The supply chain has been messed up for months but for the newest series of bikes still under warranty there are plenty of parts stateside.
So sort out how you feel about this before you ride one, that 200lbs lighter makes a lot of difference and I bet you will love it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a shop that works on Triumph, etc, but they do not do warranty work. When you say "newest series of bikes", would that include 2019 new/old stock?

I am concerned about voiding warranties, etc. For example, if one were to put an aftermarket exhaust on a Monster, does that void the warranty?

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
You know what happens with that. If you buy what the dealer carries and have it installed there, you’ll probably keep your warranty ( ask first) . If you want to do it yourself, you need to clear it with the dealer. The problem for the dealer is that exhaust system changes may require tuning to avoid engine damage. Maybe you can install and they can tune ?

·
Premium Member
4,126 Posts
I want to buy a sandwich, I will not tell you what type of sandwich but want information on whether I will like this mystery sandwich.

If you are looking at a New-er monster (2008 and newer) I suggest you run it by the independent or plan on making the drive for service. I do not get the feeling you plan on working on the bike and with no dealer nearby you may be better off buying something with a dealer close by if that is correct.

As to weather a Ducati is more or less reliable than a brand X then I would say they are fine which means more or less all brands equally sucks. Every brand has issues,defects and terrible dealers. check the dealer out well and if it is known as a good service shop I would feel pretty comfortable. If they are only known for selling bikes cheap and no one uses them for service... not so much.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It's a knuckle sandwich. You're not gonna like it. ;)

If you have a decent Indy shop the only issue I see is that some, maybe all, the newer bikes have to go to the dealer for software updates. And the Indy shop is not allowed to buy the Ducati specific software. So, Mine could change the oil, but not turn off the oil service light, or update software. Indy shop told me to go to the dealer last time for software. I think they cannot diagnose check engine lights without the Ducati software. Such in my understanding.

I'm glad to have more than 1 dealer not far away, and I love my Monster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You know what happens with that. If you buy what the dealer carries and have it installed there, you’ll probably keep your warranty ( ask first) . If you want to do it yourself, you need to clear it with the dealer. The problem for the dealer is that exhaust system changes may require tuning to avoid engine damage. Maybe you can install and they can tune ?
..except, our single Ducati dealer went bankrupt and the closest one is on the other side of the state. My current ride is a 2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC with 5,000 miles that I bought new in Aug 2016. I can do an oil change but that's about the extent of my mechanical know how.

I'd like to buy a new Monster but on this (and elsewhere) forum have read about the frequency of repairs, the difficulty of repairs (due to the bike's design), and the difficulty of the supply chain for parts. On another forum one rider was lamenting that his bike is inoperable and the part has taken months to get here.

Is the Monster a good bike for an occasional rider/never wrencher? I like the way the Monster sounds, plus it's about 200 pounds lighter than my TEX.
I just advertised a 2018 Monster S 1200cc in the classifieds. Well under KBB in the event you should need to travel or ship the bike.
-Randy-

·
Registered
716 Posts

If you have done 5k in almost 4 years you're not going to need a dealer.....

Oil changes you can do yourself, i don't know about warranty law there but there's nothing stopping an independent shop doing 1st service work or other services, belt changes etc and voiding your warranty, at least not here, YMMV

As far as reliability goes anything mechanical can have issues, but by and large Ducati are just as reliable as any other bike, ie. if you don't know what you're doing and fuck with it, you will have issues, this is usually followed with lots of public moaning on forums about how the bike is shit etc. Forums highlight the best (sometimes) but mostly the worst of everything because mostly, people sign up to solve issues or piss and moan....

If you only do low miles, and it looks like you do, why not find a late model with the exhaust you want already on it but out of warranty and save yourself a pile of cash? no issue with needing a dealer at all, just make sure your trusted independent can/will work on it or find one that will before you buy anything.

Changing the oil yearly yourself, belts are what? 5 years now i think? if you can lube the chain, pump up the tyres and change the oil, which i'm sure you can, you won't need to see a mechanic until belts or tyres need doing. Major services are quite long these days and they are mostly dictated by usage (wear and tear) so with the miles you do even with a new one you can easily avoid the stea..... err, dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just advertised a 2018 Monster S 1200cc in the classifieds. Well under KBB in the event you should need to travel or ship the bike.
-Randy-
Pity you're not in Tulsa. I'm not a fly and ride kinda guy. Good luck. Good bike. Good price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why not find a late model with the exhaust you want already on it but out of warranty and save yourself a pile of cash?
I'm looking viz Cycletrader. But Ducatis, like Triumph, are in extremely short supply in Oklahoma. Our roads are flat, straight, level, and intersect at 90 degree angles. Harley is king. Our sole Ducati/Triumph dealer is on the other side of the state.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts