Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

I think I need to retap a thread...

1802 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  grendels_arm
I think I'm using the correct terminology. On my 996 I posted here before how I had thought the little plug bolt underneath the mesh filter looked like it had been slightly leaking some time ago. Anyway at that time I decided to reseat/retighten it even though I had never messed with it. Anyway I couldn't find the torque value and so ended up overtorquing. My guess is I torqued to 25nm but later found in the book that that little plugs torque it like 9nm. Anyway I could tell I had overtightened as the little aluminum washer got crushed.

To get to the point today I decided to drain the oil and put on a new washer. But I think I can see that one of the thread furthest away, at the end of where the bolt would be, is not there. I'm guessing I messed it up.

Should I just use the sealant on the thread that you're supposed to use according to the boo, put on a new washer and hope it doesn't leak. Or do I need to learn how to retap. And how do I do that?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,687 Posts
grendels_arm said:
What's a Time Sert kit?

No problem getting it to your place. I could either tow or ride it up.

May not be till like a weekend or so. My freaking car's water pump died as I was getting back from my track day. So no car right now.
I propose next Saturday then...or maybe Sunday afternoon...depending...but that is cool...ride safe this week...and make sure you bring some Oil with ya when ya come up!...I know how picky you are on the oils that you use!....hopefully you can get your water pump fixed easily....BTW...I may know someone thinking of selling her unmodded and unraced Eclipse GS of the same generation if you are interested!

· Registered
1,687 Posts
grendels_arm said:
I should only have to ride the bike one day. The water pump is gonna end up costing $750 or so since they have to take off the timing belt, drive belts to get to the water pump.
well...2 good things come out of you doing the water pump....new drive belts and new timing belt...2 maintenance items you won't have to worry about!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.