Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm using the correct terminology. On my 996 I posted here before how I had thought the little plug bolt underneath the mesh filter looked like it had been slightly leaking some time ago. Anyway at that time I decided to reseat/retighten it even though I had never messed with it. Anyway I couldn't find the torque value and so ended up overtorquing. My guess is I torqued to 25nm but later found in the book that that little plugs torque it like 9nm. Anyway I could tell I had overtightened as the little aluminum washer got crushed.

To get to the point today I decided to drain the oil and put on a new washer. But I think I can see that one of the thread furthest away, at the end of where the bolt would be, is not there. I'm guessing I messed it up.

Should I just use the sealant on the thread that you're supposed to use according to the boo, put on a new washer and hope it doesn't leak. Or do I need to learn how to retap. And how do I do that?

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
The bolt your talking about is a M12 bolt and I dont have a thread pitch gauge to tell but its fine pitch looks like 1.25. Now here is your problem. Its a fine pitch thread into alum. The fine pitch thread doesnt leave much material to be repaired and can make all the threads even thiner and more prone to damage. The tap will just chase the threads and it wont replace the thread that is missing. Chasing the threads will re-align all the threads back to spec. Once you chase it with a tap you are probably 99% secure with 9nm torque and a good sealant. If you want it 100% you need to drill it out and use a thread repair kit such as Heli-Coil, Permacoil or Timesert.

Thread repair kits will come with all tools needed and full instructions, you will have to drill the threads out. Tap it and put a thread insert it, using the supplied tools. So getting a dill at the exact 90 degree angle underneath your bike is going to be tough.

Tapping is not hard, use the wrench that comes with the tap kit, use some oil on the tap as cutting fluid. Motor oil works fine. Thread the tap in, just like a bolt, once you get some resistance back it off a half-turn then forward a turn or two then back it off another half turn. Keep going till you get the majority of the tap through the threads. This process is called chasing the thread. Where if you did this to a bare drilled hole, its tapping a new thread.

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/xq/asp/prodid.107/TID./qx/product.htm
http://www.threadkits.com/index.html

Also check e-bay.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK sounds like I need to take my bike to Richmond, VA (90 miles away) to have them do this. I'm not messing it up any further since I've never fixed a thread. I looked up again in the service manual and the torque is actually 12m. So I set my torque wrench up and tighten up with a new washer. Before I even get to the specified torque and as the washer is getting pressed down on I see a thread get pushed through the other end of. Where the mesh filter is. So I stop and take out the plug again and see what I expect. More threads messed up this time. Anyway I can actually still get the bolt in there fine. I guess even with just sealant at this point it will leak. Correct? I guess the bike is ridable but it will just have a slow leak from there.

Man I haven't ridden my bike since April 2005. And before then not since like July 2004. Might as well leave it at the dealer and have them consign it out. Stick to the track.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I have a tap and die set as I PM'ed you....and I might be able to get my hands on a Time Sert kit from my Wurth rep. from work!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's a Time Sert kit?

No problem getting it to your place. I could either tow or ride it up.

May not be till like a weekend or so. My freaking car's water pump died as I was getting back from my track day. So no car right now.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
grendels_arm said:
What's a Time Sert kit?

No problem getting it to your place. I could either tow or ride it up.

May not be till like a weekend or so. My freaking car's water pump died as I was getting back from my track day. So no car right now.
I propose next Saturday then...or maybe Sunday afternoon...depending...but that is cool...ride safe this week...and make sure you bring some Oil with ya when ya come up!...I know how picky you are on the oils that you use!....hopefully you can get your water pump fixed easily....BTW...I may know someone thinking of selling her unmodded and unraced Eclipse GS of the same generation if you are interested!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ACtually the only pickiness I have on oil is that it's not outrageously expensive. If I couldn't find Amsoil ($8 a quart) I'd use Mobil 1 like you do.

I should only have to ride the bike one day. The water pump is gonna end up costing $750 or so since they have to take off the timing belt, drive belts to get to the water pump.

Next car I get will ne newer,have super low miles and big warranty. And will be able to tow no problem.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
grendels_arm said:
I should only have to ride the bike one day. The water pump is gonna end up costing $750 or so since they have to take off the timing belt, drive belts to get to the water pump.
well...2 good things come out of you doing the water pump....new drive belts and new timing belt...2 maintenance items you won't have to worry about!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well here's my luck. It hasn't rained for like weeks and the weather forecast for tomorrow? RAIN! So I may bus and then metro into work if I can't get a ride.

I did the timing belt only 26K miles ago at the scheduled 60K service. So really I don't need the timing belt for another 34K (car has 86K now. Drive belts were done at 60K so it makes sense to replace them now. Timing belt is $100. Man what a ripoff. At least with the Duc I get two belts for $120. :)

Too bad the dealer didn't suggest I do the water pump at the 60K service. Wouldn't saved me some money now. However I did ask about the water pump when my head gasket was replaced last year and I think they told me $150. That's why I didn't do it then. I shoulda bought one then and had em throw it on. I was hoping it would last until the 120K service or at least until I sold the car. Oh well, by the time I'm through most parts will be replaced on my car. Knowing my luck someone will total my car soon or it will be stolen.

I need to start making car parts. I bet that's a good business.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts