Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 ST2--Pulled it out of the garage and hooked cables to my truck(not running) and when It started my dog jumped and knocked the ground cable of the battery and the bike sputtered and I put the cable back on and then the bike died..Tried to start it back up, turned the key and I usually wait until the fuel pump sound stops and then hit the button..But the fuel pump sounded different and wouldn't stop humming..Hit the button and the motor cranks but wouldn't start, pulled a plug and no fire..

Did I fry it?
Also under the seat, there are 3 fuses, what is the middle one for? It is blown, and blows as soon as i turn the key..

·
Mr Leakered
8,837 Posts
Wow. It doesn't sound good.

Some say that jumping Duc isn't good to start with, let alone other mishaps. The other thing is that these roll start very easily. Sorry. I don't mean to rub salt.

You may want ot check for any fried connections.

Good luck.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagram, one (7.5A) is for the fan, one (20A) is for the pump, coils, and injectors, and the 3rd (7.5A) is for the ECU.

I had to jump mine once from a running car, as I had left it in PARK all night and the battery was beyond dead. Actually, I had to attach it to the car and let the car run for 10 minutes before I could start the bike, and then had to leave both running for another few before disconnecting. No problem.

Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. It doesn't sound good.

Some say that jumping Duc isn't good to start with, let alone other mishaps. The other thing is that these roll start very easily. Sorry. I don't mean to rub salt.

You may want ot check for any fried connections.

Good luck.
I was in a hurry, so I jumped it...I thought the PO told me that the bike had some kinda theft detterent, you couldn't bump start and the keyswitch had to be turned at a certain time..I guess they were mistaken..

·
Registered
222 Posts
You may want to disconnect the battery from the bike & then hook your truck jumper cables to it; while the disconnected battery is charging off the truck you may want to check all the fuses on the bike and also look for any burned wires or melted connectors under all the bodywork. Some of the other members may have some advice about if your immobilzer system may have been affected by the incident, I really am not too familiar with that system and how it works yet.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
No factory immobilizer on the ST2, but sounds like the PO may have added something that could have fried.

I would also check the relays. From what you said that the fuel pump stays on after priming, might have fused the relays open.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure if it is priming, sounds almost like it is pumping on empty..Doesn't have the same sound as before the incident. But it does stay on as long as the key is on..Are there any fuses before the ECU?..can anyone put up a schematic so I can look..Obviously something happend because the bike started and ran before the last time I started it and then my dog knocked the ground off. Also what other Duc's use the same ECU incase I do need a new one, I haven't been able to source a used one on the net anywhere..

·
Mr Leakered
8,837 Posts
That's one of the problems. The ECU gets un-protected power. Spikes from a powerful charging system can frag it.

For some nice schematics, in color, visit ducatiwiki.com. Derek, a member here, did us the favor.

Good luck.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
thanks SE84..will all of those work on my bike? I have a FBF chip in mine now with termognini(sp) cans now..
I would first work out that the ECU is the problem or not. If it is, then I would have a chat with your dealer about what part numbers are viable to swap with your ECU.

With respect to the mapping on your current ECU, it might be possible, if the chip wasn't damaged, to swap it. Otherwise, you might be in a difficult spot unless you could source the exact chip for your cans and airbox configuration.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
That's one of the problems. The ECU gets un-protected power. Spikes from a powerful charging system can frag it.
A battery from a non-running vehile has no spikes, nor does a jump from a vehicle that does not have a regulator problem, even with a running engine, which is 99.999 % the case.

Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LEMANS: I think the spike may have occured when the cable was knocked off by my dog and then jammed back on by me...

SE84: Can I send you my ecu and can you hook it up to another bike without damaging the bike..My one and only dealer here is a all brands dealer and I really don't have cinfidence in there Ducati know how..

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Can I send you my ecu and can you hook it up to another bike without damaging the bike..My one and only dealer here is a all brands dealer and I really don't have cinfidence in there Ducati know how..
I apologize Yeller, but I have no way to test it. The ST2 and 4s use different computers.

Your best bet would be either to call Desmoto here in SF, or Modesto Ducati and see if either one of them could test your ECU and determine if there is a fault.

Desmoto: (415) 552-7729
Modesto Ducati: (209) 578-1330

·
Mr Leakered
8,837 Posts
A battery from a non-running vehile has no spikes, nor does a jump from a vehicle that does not have a regulator problem, even with a running engine, which is 99.999 % the case.

Tom
Tom,

This particular case notwithstanding, I tend to agree with you, but (5) 9s is a bit high don't you think? Cars, or any other motor vehicle in general, can hardly be considered a conditioned power source. I'm just sayin'.

Have a good one.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Unless the car battery is bad, there should be very clean power available, certainly better then the bike's system (due to the larger car battery).

Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK,since bike shops are closed on Monday's, I did some checking of the relays and fuses under the seat...Checking my elect against the schematic on the Ducatiwiki pages..My wiring colors and the coordinating fuses don't match up, atleast to me..I am having problems with the #1 relay(#1 marked on the harness attached to the relay) and having problems with middle 20A fuse..According to the schematic these don't connect that I can see..But I have continuity between the middle fuse and the #1 relay..When I put all 3 fuses and both relays in the #1 relay does some buzzing, ticking and then blows the middle fuse..When I remove the #1 relay and leave all 3 fuses and the #2 relay I can hear the fuel pump, when I slowly install #1 fuse I get the clicking and eventually blow the fuse..I have used both relays on the #1 side and both have the same effect..Am I not seeing or seeing something wrong..I am not sure if this has anything to do with my "not starting problem" I guess it would depend on what that relay energizes?..PS I keep hearing that one of the relays is for the fan, but looking at the color scheme I don't think either of these relays are for the fan..Also the 3 fuses on the schematic are labeled injection relay fuses...Any help would be appreciated...SOMEBODY yank the #1 relay and tell me if there bike still starts!

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
I'll check later today, but one relay is for the ECU, and the other for the pump/injectors/coils.

Tom

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a new 16m ECU if you need to buy one. Still in factory box.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts