Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

I think I found my 998. Does this sound like a fair deal?

4K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  Lucille8 
#1 ·
Details:

2002 yellow 998 with 2500 miles
monoposto
one owner. no accidents, tipovers, wrecks, floods, etc...

here are a list of mods:

1. Termignoni CF 1/2 exhaust system with ECU.
2. Air restrictors in intake removed. This was done at the same time as the exhaust install.
3. 1 tooth down on the front sprocket.
4. Carbon fiber tank guard. Motowheels Carbon
5. Carbon fiber heel guards. Benfer Performance Carbon
6. Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder installed @ American Legend.
7. Evoluzione fender eliminator kit
8. Evoluzione sidestand bypass switch
9. Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs. Hi and low beam.
10. Yuasa battery.

He was asking 12K. I haven't seen it yet, but we agreed on 11K if it is everything he said it was. I've seen pics and it looks tight.

It has had the first service at the dealer and he did a subsequent oil change himself.

It has not had the belts, coolant, or brake fluid changed yet. Any idea what that will run? I know this is something I should probably knock out right away as the bike is almost four years old now. It also may need a new battery as it hasn't been ridden much and has not been on a tender.

So what you do you think? 11K sound like a fair deal on this one???

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
11K sounds like a real good deal to me, especially with the mods and mileage.

#3 ·
I have at least that in my 01 748 without half of those mod's and quadrouple the mileage. In other words, yes it's worth it even though it's probably more than the blue book. The blue book doesn't take in to account demand and availability as accurately as they should. Just my 2 cents, cheers.

#4 ·
if you feel no regrets in parting with the cash for that sale and for that bike...then go for it....but it is a Mono and you said you were looking for a BiPosto I thought....anyways....also you'll have to consider shipping as well!

#5 ·
no shipping on this one. it's local. it's about a half hour from my house.

i'm not too concerned about the mono thing. i've already got some leads on a biposto setup. i figure it should cost about 3-400 bucks to get the biposto parts and then i can switch back and forth as needed once i install the bi subframe. from what i understand, once the subframe is swapped, it's pretty easy to switch the tail out and mount the rear pegs.

#7 · (Edited)
I paid 500 more and mine has less doo dads, a bit more miles but more carbon fiber AND I had to travel 2 days RT (+ expenses) to get it. You can ride that thing home, although i would recommend against it since you're not familiar with it.

If he's not lying, then that's a great deal, given its newness. You will love it. There is nothing like a 4 year old bike that seems showroom new.

Belts were 160.00 from Ferracci (my local shop). I installed myself. Very easy to do, I have over 150 miles from when I installed mine and I just took the covers off for inspection and the area was free from black dust.

The first thing you should get is the Factory Service Manual. It will help out tremendously and show you how to to preform maintenance correctly. Then you can perform the brake and coolant changes yourself.

#8 ·
deputydog95 said:
from what i understand, once the subframe is swapped, it's pretty easy to switch the tail out and mount the rear pegs.
Yepp. If you have a complete Monoseat and a complete BiP seat, changeover can be done in under 5 minutes, incl. removing/adding passenger footpegs.

You will need to replace the lockpin on the mono, since the BiP lock is lower then the mono. But the 998 is proabably the easiest bike to do a Mono -> BiP subframe exchange, since the computer doesn´t sit under the seat, but next to the battery.

Exchange should take about 3-4 hours if your doing it yourself. for the subframe that is.

I can´t say anything about the deal.. I´m just jealous. Ducati´s seem ALOT less expensive in the US then here in Europe.

#9 ·
I think it is a great price with the mods and a local bike.....I paid 12k for a 02 bipos red with similar mods and paid $600 for shipping on top of that the kicker is you'll love it after you get it!!! Have fun!!!

GIDDY UP!!!
ALLEN

#10 ·
That's a really nice looking 998. I bought mine last Spring from a guy in NH for $8500. It's an '02 Bi-Posto with a half SilMotor titanium exhaust and the mono tail w/lights. He also gave me the Bi setup. The bike had 4K on it. It's pretty sweet.

FWIW, I thought I read that changing a Bi to mono was easy, but changing a mono to Bi was more difficult. Something to do with the subframe. Am I wrong about that?

bruce19

#11 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Probably going to look at/purchase this bike tomorrow.

Regarding the bipost conversion, I did it once on my Mille R and it wasn't too bad. Once the subframe was swapped, it was downhill from there.

I did have a question about the conversion though. There aren't exhausts specifically for the bipost are there? I would assume they're all the same but I saw some ebay listings for a "biposto exhaust". I don't really want to get involved with changing the exhaust too if this is the case.

I am assuming that all I need for the biposto conversion is:

bipost subframe
rear tail section
tail light (if it's not already included with the bipost tail)
rear seat
passenger footpegs
lockpin (still not sure what that is yet)

am i forgetting anything?

let me know about that exhaust question. i really don't want to change the exhaust or the fender eliminator that came on the bike.

#12 ·
one other question:

in the pic i posted, take a look at that plastic piece right below the gas tank. notice the gap?

is that somewhat normal?

i have a pic of the left side too. there is a gap, but not quite as big. i haven't really been able to find any good pics of other bikes for comparison, but that kind of looked funny to me after someone pointed it out.

do you think something's wrong or just a loose panel?

#13 ·
deputydog95 said:
one other question:

in the pic i posted, take a look at that plastic piece right below the gas tank. notice the gap?

is that somewhat normal?

i have a pic of the left side too. there is a gap, but not quite as big. i haven't really been able to find any good pics of other bikes for comparison, but that kind of looked funny to me after someone pointed it out.

do you think something's wrong or just a loose panel?
I have seen several pics of others and some seem to fit closer and others look like this one....perhaps just needs some adjustment I wouldn't think this is a problem. i just adjusted the fit on mine to get it closer.

#15 · (Edited)
deputydog95 said:
I did have a question about the conversion though. There aren't exhausts specifically for the bipost are there? I would assume they're all the same but I saw some ebay listings for a "biposto exhaust". I don't really want to get involved with changing the exhaust too if this is the case.
There isn´t a diffrence. Mono and BiP exhausts are the same. Atleast all off the ones I´ve seen and worked with.

deputydog95 said:

bipost subframe
rear tail section
rear seat
passenger footpegs

You might need a new heatshield, since they mount diffrently. Atleast on the Desmoquattro. I´m not really sure on the testastretta. You CAN modify your existing one of the Mono subframe.

The locking pin is the pin that locks your seat down. There is a hinge on the front (right by the tank). Those are okey, but the locking pin in the rear sits further down then on a Mono. Your dealer can get you a working lockpin for a few bucks.

And the actuall SEAT on a mono is shaped diffrently then on BiP. Try to find a complete BiP seat with seats, and taillight and you´ll be fine.

About the gap.
It could be that the front mounting pin on the tank has been bent down. The airbox seems to be aligned okey. When you see the bike, try gently to rock the tank from side to side (sitting on it, rock tank left - right). If it´s abit loose, then it needs adjusting. You´ll do it yourself in 5 minutes, It´s simple to adjust using a wrench or a piece of pipe.

The pin gets bent when your moving the tank on and off the bike alot or if you´ve gripped the tank hard with your knees on a bumpy road.

#16 ·
deputydog95 said:

bipost subframe
rear tail section
rear seat
passenger footpegs

let me know about that exhaust question. i really don't want to change the exhaust or the fender eliminator that came on the bike.
You'll also need the undertray, as the Mono one is larger and has some holes in different places, you could however cut the mono one down but you may not be too happy with the looks afterwards.

The lock pin is the part of the seat that latches into the catch on the frame and because the bip seat is thicker (due to pillion pad) the catch is shorter as it sits nearer to the frame - it is a low cost item.

The Exhausts are all the same but some of the larger pipe sizes can interfere with the bip footpegs - you may have to space them away from the frame to clear the pipes. :)

Edited to add; beaten to it by Amullo :)

#18 ·
bruce19 said:
That's a really nice looking 998. I bought mine last Spring from a guy in NH for $8500. It's an '02 Bi-Posto with a half SilMotor titanium exhaust and the mono tail w/lights. He also gave me the Bi setup. The bike had 4K on it. It's pretty sweet.

FWIW, I thought I read that changing a Bi to mono was easy, but changing a mono to Bi was more difficult. Something to do with the subframe. Am I wrong about that?

bruce19
Am I reading this right?

You bought an '02 998 with 4K mi, a half-system and both tail configs for $8500!?!

Where are these sort of clueless sellers when i'm looking for a bike, lol?

#19 ·
You read it right. I had been looking for a SS1000DS when a call from BCM put me onto this bike being sold by one of their customers. He bought a Multistrada DS from them. Seemed like a low price but it checked out OK and I put about 3K mi. on it without a problem. If there's a catch, I haven't figured it out yet.

bruce19

#20 ·
deputydog95 said:
what did you do to adjust the fit?
the right side was worst than the left, so I adjusted the air tubes, and moved the tank to one side spitting the difference, everytime you move the tank, you can adjust time. not a problem at all.

allen

#25 ·
I went and looked at it today.

The battery was smoked and it wouldn't even take a charge. Apparently the bike has been sitting for a number of months now.

I looked at the gas tank. It didn't move, but it didn't look like it was sitting right, as shown in the pic. Also, the paint was scuffed off where the left rear portion of the tank had been previously resting on the paint. Now the tank was shifted to the right, exposing the scuff.

There was a really deep 1.5" scratch on the front fender.

There some scuffs on the frame near the right rear set. Kind of weird as it would be in too deep for a boot to get to it.

There also were some scrapes on the top of the engine casing near the rearsets. Weird as they were on the center of the motor and I don't know how that would have happened.

The rear tire was totally smoked. The outside edges were blue and the middle was worn flat. Looks like it needs two new tires now.

Doesn't look like he is going to be able to come up with 600 mile service record or any receipts for brake fluid and clutch fluid changes. This really kind of bothers me as it makes it tough to sell the bike down the road. This forces me to do an abreviated 6000 mile service now to create some sort of service record for future resale.

Also, the belts definately have not been done and we live in FL. Talked to the dealer and they said it's a must do with the age of the bike to be on the safe side.

Now I'm second guessing this one. The lack of use, lack of service records, and the amount of money it's gonig to take to get it in rideable condition are starting to sketch me out some. Not to mention the strange tank fitment, scratches, and marks on the frame engine casing bother me a bit as well.

What do you guys think? I hate to pass it up, but I'm just not getting the warm fuzzies for $11K, plus another grand in tires and service to get it on the road. I would think for 11 grand it would be mint and ready to ride.

#26 ·
instinct

Hey,
If your gut tells you this isn't right...there is always another one...even better! Take your time

Allen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.