Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess Im the next victim in the dreaded spreaded tank saga,came back from a long ride saterday and as allways when I park I grab my tank to check to check for play,well I shit myself when it came straight off,holy crap I was just doing a 160 mile ride a speeds up to 125 mph.how f#@ken unsafe is this.so I did the washer thing and for now its ok I guess,but now what,do I call my dealer,any advice.or just wait for the alum tanks.man Im pissed.

·
Registered
674 Posts
go to ducati soho. talk to marco if you can. bring your bike. he will check the free play on the tank and decide that you need a new one. then wait 3 months and there you go.

same deal happened to me.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The good news is that if your tank spreads enough to come out of the cups while on a ride it'll just flip up and hit you in the chest. No big deal...just pull over and push it down again. I have a few rubber bands holding mine to the frame and it seems to be working great at speeds under 75mph!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The good news is that if your tank spreads enough to come out of the cups while on a ride it'll just flip up and hit you in the chest. No big deal...just pull over and push it down again. I have a few rubber bands holding mine to the frame and it seems to be working great at speeds under 75mph!
what about when you do those wheelies?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I guess Im the next victim in the dreaded spreaded tank saga,came back from a long ride saterday and as allways when I park I grab my tank to check to check for play,well I shit myself when it came straight off,holy crap I was just doing a 160 mile ride a speeds up to 125 mph.how f#@ken unsafe is this.so I did the washer thing and for now its ok I guess,but now what,do I call my dealer,any advice.or just wait for the alum tanks.man Im pissed.
What year is your bike? The unsafe factor is not the spreading tank but you doing 125 on public roads...lucky you didn't spread more than your tank!

But then again...I suppose I would ride like a bat-out-of-hell too if I was escaping from Brooklyn.

·
Registered
126 Posts
go to ducati soho. talk to marco if you can. bring your bike. he will check the free play on the tank and decide that you need a new one. then wait 3 months and there you go.

Or you could go to a reputable Ducati dealer and get the job done quickly and correctly. Sound advice especially at the speeds you ride. I wonder how face TimDog rides down Queens Blvd.?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I wonder if the weight of a full gas tank contributes to tank spreading? I'm too lazy after each ride to gas up, so the bike gets parked with the tank nearly empty. There has been no tank spread so far.

·
Registered
517 Posts
+1

Took the bike to Ducati soho last October. There was a technician from DNA there that day. Him and Marco briefly looked at the tank, automatically knew about the problem, and said they'll order a new one, no questions asked. I winterized the bike with them (from November till April), and got it back in April with a brand new tank.
The current tank has some free play, about quarter of an inch... :eek:

·
Registered
251 Posts
and you definitively ride at 125+ mph routinely!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

3 months:eek: My dealer just ordered one for my bike last week. He told me they usually get them in two weeks. I hope he's right.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
what about when you do those wheelies?

Easy - I upgraded to the Ducati Performance rubber bands and the tank somehow manages to stay put. :p

This tank design is sweet looking, sure sucks on a practical level eh!!? If I were you - I'd go get a new one through your local dealer, shop, or DNA. But - I'd keep the new one in a box on a shelf and ride the warped one until it was no longer manageable.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Driving that fast probably used centrifical force to hold the tank down! The point isn't that you drive fast (don't admit it on-line too often) but that the tank is unsafe at any speed. This problem speaks volumes about Ducatis concern about customer safety. You just don't keep replacing bad tanks with bad tanks. Blah-blah-blah....

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cant beleive ducati hasent done to much on the subject,its a wonder how were all not getting hit in the face with tanks.an observation on my part:when this happened to me my bike was hot and I was very low on fuel,when i released the vapors and the tank cooled down I could not pull it out so easy.I think its a heat plus vapor thing streching out the tank.any way its still a krazy desighn flaw.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Yes, it's a disappointing design flaw to say the least. And when I bought the bike I thought the plastic tank was a good feature because I wouldn't have to worry about rust! Always something.

The tank on my GT has been ok since getting it shimmed a year ago. My DP tank bag helps hold the tank on too. :rolleyes:

Debby

1 - 15 of 15 Posts