Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the 1200S Touring in Arctic White, I have only put about ninety miles on it so far but I have some issues. Does the ECM limit the power on this bike during the break in period? I have found the power to be kind of mild and yes its in "Sport" mode, the power comes on strong then as the throttle is rolled back it falls flat. After all the reviews I read I expected a more spirited ride, also my right heel is hitting the heat shield for the muffler keeping my foot from sitting straight (big feet), anyone make longer foot pegs or spacers?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm in the middle of breaking in my MTS 1200. I just cleared 600 miles (1000 km). The ECM does not limit power, but it modulates it based on mode (you already know that, it appears). What I have observed is that the power output is just very dependent on rpm. Just as the bike gets interesting, I had to back off the throttle but it has way more power than I can ever possibly use. I've "accidentally" pulled wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear and spun the rear wheel exiting a corner (puckered a bit, too. I'm not THAT good of a rider).
Perhaps what you could do is borrow the dealer's demo bike which has access to the full rpm range? Compare it to yours and if yours is not behaving appropriately, then it might be a computer control issue?

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
is the engine setting in 100 hp mode and not 150 hp mode...
Still breaking it in so don't be too easy on it or too hard on it...

·
Registered
750 Posts
is the engine setting in 100 hp mode and not 150 hp mode...
Good point.

To the OP, just because it says "Sport" mode, don't assume someone didn't screw with it and set it to 100HP. Either reset everything to factory settings, or go into the settings and confirm that Sport mode has power output set to 150 Hi (150 Low is stock Touring mode).

-SM

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just to add, the added HP in Sport and Touring doesn't even begin until nearly 6,000 rpm and mostly beyond that. At least per the manual, you probably shouldn't even be in that range until the motor's broken in (indeed, much debate on that subject, also).

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If you're coming from a powerful inline 4 the 150hp doesn't really translate the same way and might not give you the same feeling.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
deleted. double post.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
the power comes on strong then as the throttle is rolled back it falls flat.
A handful of engine braking perhaps?

IF you are following recommended break in guidelines and taking it easy, you ain't seen nothing yet. I've not heard anyone describe this bike as less than spirited.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something is going on with the ECM, I now have 300 miles and it has really picked up its game, after a hundred miles it really started to show some legs. I do like the short shifting power though, much more useful in town than an inline four.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my bike. I thought it wasnt too grunty when i picked it up from dealer.
Now, I have completed 1000km and the bike is noticably different, much more grunt .

I put it down to just a new motor being tight. It really hammers now, and still not fully brocken in.
A freind of mine hase the same bike and he says after about 5000km, it hauls ass!

I woudnt be too worried about it.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Isn't that what's supposed to happen when you back off the throttle?

Perhaps I misunderstood. :confused:
>>>>Funny ;)

I noticed the same thing, like it seemed a little down on power in the beginning, I even checked with the dealer...no problems...In the end I attributed it to my inital comparison was to the the very WELL:eek: broken in "loose" engine of the demo bike I tested before buying. By the time I reached 2000 miles, it was a vastly different bike. Much quicker to rev and really pulls hard to redline. I say give her some time, and you'll be rewarded, some just take longer to break in than others...Hell maybe the famous redlocktight man added some inside your engine just for kicks:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts