Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 801 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fren that likes good whiskey. If I can't find any Pappy Van Winkle what should I get? I set the price limit to $300.

·
18,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have a fren that likes good whiskey. If I can't find any Pappy Van Winkle what should I get? I set the price limit to $300.
Always liked Scotch Whiskey myself. Because everybody on the planet is drinking Bourbon I finally tried a bottle of Maker's Mark.

Never could get used to Bourbon. A friend told me to try Jameson's Irish.

It's better than Bourbon but still not as good as Scotch: and it sells for a bit under than $300 a bottle.

I'll have a Grey Goose on the rocks, please.

Dan

·
18,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
T.P. You are the Bourbon Man! Is that W.L. Weller easy to find. This is a gift for Paul. He was born and raised in Kentucky so that would even be great.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Which I know nothing about.

That's some good recommendations but I'd really like to get personal suggestions. What you've actually drank. I've never drank whiskey/bourbon and this is a gift for a friend. Really. :)
if you are strictly asking for a bourbon then I like the A.H. Hirsch Reserve a lot. Watershed Distilling's is very good. Elijah Craig is very good. Basil Hayden's is really good for the cost. my brother in law (not much of a liquor drinker) got some and liked it. had me try it and I like it a lot, actually. that said, I like LOTS of different whiskeys while many people only care for a certain style. I think your friend will appreciate pretty much anything you get him. I certainly would ;).

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
if I was going out to get a bottle right now, that I've had in the past, it would be Middle West Spirits
. Fantastic stuff. My first bottle had to be hand delivered by a coworker that lives just north of Columbus (made there). Now it's sold by a few local stores here. Their plain vodka is also great. The most recent stuff I've had of theirs is the whiskey blended with someone's Kentucky made bourbon
. Also great. The original is still my favorite of the two.

·
18,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I need to ho to our superstore and do some shopping. It would be awesome if they would let you sample before buying. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,735 Posts
A good whisky. Now that's open for a lot of debate. Price is not necessarily an indicator of "goodness" just popularity/perception. Domestics will be a bit less expensive than imports due to taxes. Now, you didn't mention what your friend likes...Scotches, bourbons, ryes...

I tend to gravitate towards the peaty flavors of the Islay single malts: Laphroaig, Ardbeg (sipping some right now), Lagavulin. Expect to pay $60 to $100 for these. I also like Old Weller Antique 107 (a bourbon) but at $24 a bottle, your friend can get it anytime he wants. A nice "gift" whisky would be a bottle of Hibiki. A Japanese "Scotch" that comes in a great looking bottle and tastes pretty darn good. A nice whisky for the collection at about $90. Another gift thought is the inaugural release of Kilchoman...a new (established in 2005) distillery in the Islay region. A little light on the palate but it'll be fun to compare to some more mature tastings from this distiller in the future.

Damn...now I'm thirsty! :D

1 - 20 of 801 Posts