Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be welding a 848 exaust to my 996 dose anyone have any tips for welding stainless steel as thats what the exausts are made from

cheers!!.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i will make a thread for it when i come to do it!!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool beans!

i will have to practice, and get myself a tig welder as i only have mig at the mo!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
You can mig with stainless wire, tig will be cleaner but a good mig weld can look almost as clean as tig. No point buying a tig machine just for one project, unless you planned on buying one anyway.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Not sure if a cheaper MIG would do the job or at least a good job. I have played around with a few and usually if they come set up for gas their regulators are garbage and a lot of times its hard to get enough pressure to shield the weld
Just my 2 cents beings I have used industrial welders most of the time and every time I go to use a $300 to $500 unit it always seems to be a challenge

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can mig with stainless wire, tig will be cleaner but a good mig weld can look almost as clean as tig. No point buying a tig machine just for one project, unless you planned on buying one anyway.
<----What he said.

Stainless has 3x the expansion n insulation properties of mild steel, so you get a smaller, but more active, heat affected zone. Leave a larger gap, n tack in three or four places around the pipes before you run your beads. The stuff moves...

You can use mig and get good results. I'd say use whatever you're most comfortable with. If you've had plenty of practice with your mig on mild, bump the heat up and just know the arc will sound very different.

fill the inside/backside with shielding gas to lessen/eliminate sugaring. Most failed welds in exhaust tubing come from that. scroll down to fig. 8:

Miller - Ten Common TIG Problems: A Visual Guide
<---This too.

-What kind of welder do you currently have?

-Do you know what kind of stainless both pipes are made from? and how thick?

-Do you have extra material to practice on?(Jesse James says,"It doesn't matter how long you've been welding. Always do a test plate/pass.)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GOOD ADVISE!!!

i will be welding a 848 exaust sys to my 996 headers

i figure once i cut the pipes i will only get one shot at it!!

i have some stainless kicking about so i will have a practice.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
#1: Cutting the joints is probably the most important bit of the job!
#2: Filler rod is going to make a mess if you don't know what you are doing and a properly fitted stainless joint should not need filler
#3: Purge weld the joint with the appropriate gas or gasses.

If you don't know what any of this means, get someone to do the job for you.

·
Registered
279 Posts
yeah if you don't want bird shit everywhere definitely purge/shield with gas. you can quite easily seal up the pipes with some tape. how you cut and finish the two bits of pipe is important too as ducat said and definitely tack it in 4 places so it's nice and strong and it'll give you 4 nice beads to run that are not too long (especially important if you don't have some kind of rig that can turn the pipe for you). the gun pipe welding set-ups usually have the welder held still and rotate the pipe around. that's all well and good but takes a fair bit of practice to figure out exactly what setting you want on the welder and what speed you want the pipe rotating at. not practical for a home job so just break it up into 4 sections (at least). it's pretty robust so unlikely you'll blow holes in it but still try not to overheat the pipe.

tig is better but it can be mig'd and still have a good strong weld that looks ok too.

you really do need to practice a few welds joining some bits of pipe first though.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im a way off doing the deed as yet!!

i still have to sort my rear swingarm problems and powder caot......
.....(blah blah blah)

but i wanted the best ways to do this and thankyou for your advise im off to set fire to stuff i will let you know how i get on lol :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts