Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm supposed to pick my bike up from a dealer I chose to do the desmo service in the morning (as long as something else doesn't come up).

I would like to know all the things that are supposed to be done for this particular service, because unfortunately I have lost all faith in them.

It's a long story deserving of it's own thread, but...I think they may try to cut every corner that they can.

Are they supposed to list what shims they had to use for which valves (something that could be checked by another dealer in the future)? etc.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Your best bet is to find the service worksheet - it's available online somewhere. There are quite a few things they need to do that are pretty time consuming and hard to tell if they're done so if you don't trust your dealer it would be very easy for them to scam you.

·
Registered
298 Posts
They change the air filter and spark plugs. You could ask to see the old ones. They change the oil and oil filter. They check the valve clearances. They only change the shims that need changing. You could ask for the clearances of each valve because they make a worksheet for that. They put the bike on their computer and install any updates. They usually bill for 7 or so hours of labor. They updates can take a few hours. At my Porsche dealer the tech uses his cell phone to make a video of what he did and he sends it to me. You could ask for that. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
These bikes are time consuming due to removing bodywork and accessory items, you can probably save money if you start by removing all non-essential items. Be sure to NOT remove anything that will prevent them from safely riding the bike after the service is done. Filming a service would not be a bad idea but I do not know if it is feasable unless you plan on paying additional for the time spent filming. The porche mechanic probably has been doing it long enough that he takes little to no time (or works it into the bill) .

I worked at a dealer that allowed the customer to hang out next to the bike while service was being done, you might ask if this is possible. Insurance companies hate it (liability) and it 100% slows down the mechanic so some shops do not want to allow it. You might make a deal if that is the case and they will charge hourly instead of flat rate and then if you distract the mechanic too much it is on your dime. This I feel is a great way to go (yes with some issues) as you get to see what s really done and it helps (or hurts) your faith in a particular shop/mechanic. I did see more than one mechanic get let go from the shop because they could not take the pressure of having a owner looking over their shoulder all day long. Picture youself at work with you boss watching your every move and peppering you with questions....lol

I still have customers who travel very large distances simply because they have trust built by being willing to show the process , warts and all. Yes you may see things that are scary to watch and I have had customers have to leave because they did not want to see what was necessary. And yes on occasion we mechanics might enjoy that a little.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They change the air filter and spark plugs. You could ask to see the old ones. They change the oil and oil filter. They check the valve clearances. They only change the shims that need changing. You could ask for the clearances of each valve because they make a worksheet for that. They put the bike on their computer and install any updates. They usually bill for 7 or so hours of labor. They updates can take a few hours. At my Porsche dealer the tech uses his cell phone to make a video of what he did and he sends it to me. You could ask for that. Good luck.
I read elsewhere that they change all of the fluids. Brake, clutch, coolant. Is that true?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts