Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Hell just replace the plug wires, If they are the originals it's about time lol. Plus not alot of $$

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
The plug wires look totally fine. I did cut a bit off (it was too long anyway), and reinstall them, and it makes no difference.
Then I remembered something slightly peculiar. When I got the bike last year, I of course went through the carbs, that was the first thing I did. It was my first time working on a carb that has a main jet held on with a bracket like that, right?, so I took everything apart, cleaned cleaned it up, put new gaskets and reassembled them the way it came, not knowing that the way it came, the main jet was installed upside down (tube side down, so the o-ring up). I learned of this error, so when I took the carbs apart to clean this time, I did install the jets right way up. And now I'm wondering that it might have leaned out the mixture at the top end because un-metered gas is no longer passing through the o-ring seal that wasn't sealing properly. Of course it doesn't explain why it was fine just over a week ago, but I'm trying to just focus on the symptom at this moment. In a bag of bits that came with the bike, I found 150 main, so just out of curiosity, I put that in (it originally had 140), and voila!, the misfire move from 7000rpm to around 8000rpm. That's a progress! I'm going to get 155 or 160 to see what it would do. I have to say though, I think it's rich in the middle range, but at this point, it's a science research project.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mmmm, done the pickups, no change. I'm gonna check the plug wires now. I'm getting a bit desperate.
The pick up coils can start misbehaving when hot. I've seen reference to this, possibly on this same forum. Needless to say, there's a YouTube clip of someone testing for this with an ohm meter and a heat gun. Might be worth researching as such a fault would cause the symptoms you describe. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Is the engine stock? If so I cant believe you would need that size main jet but then it depends where you live -I am in Florida on the east coast so basically dead sea level. I am running 135 main & it runs great

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Also did you set your float levels? the spec I think is 14mm, but I had to set mine @ 15mm to work correctly but my issue was in the low speed circuit-my issue was dialing in the idle jets

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I am also running a stock airbox un-modified w/ K&N filter

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Is the engine stock? If so I cant believe you would need that size main jet but then it depends where you live -I am in Florida on the east coast so basically dead sea level. I am running 135 main & it runs great
I believe the engine is all stock. It came with the slip-ons and open airbox with K&N filter with acorns, so I did get the new filter last year. Like I said, it came with Dyno-jet needle/spring, etc. I'm at the sea level, too.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I too have nice throaty slip ons --but with the open top air box I could see you needing larger jetting to compensate for way more air.--something you could try is find a stock un-molested air box top put it on and go for a ride and see what you have --those are easy to find and not expensive

Reactions: J.B.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Interesting result from the needle change. What exactly are your spark plugs? Brand, Part Number and gap you are using. You took off the little screw on caps on the plugs, right?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Interesting result from the needle change. What exactly are your spark plugs? Brand, Part Number and gap you are using. You took off the little screw on caps on the plugs, right?
The plugs are NGK DR9EA, the one that I believe comes with CA Cycleworks coils. And yes, the little screw-on cap is off. Mind, I'm still running the old plugs that I cleaned up, still waiting for a new set.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I order spark plugs from Rock Auto, several sets at a time, quite reasonable, price wise....

Fred

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Just asking a question--Is there any reason not to run the oem plugs on these bikes -owners manual says-Champion, RA6HC --

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just asking a question--Is there any reason not to run the oem plugs on these bikes -owners manual says-Champion, RA6HC --
I don't know, actually. When I found out that the coils weren't original, I looked up and saw that it was CA Cycleworks ExactFit coils, and DR9EAs are what come with it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have no problem with Bosch or NGK plugs --hell Bosch owns NGK, --I was just wondering about the Champion plugs, it looks like the original plug is probably discontinued and they replaced it with an 809 number. It looks like the 809 covers a wide range of old Champion numbers so the heat range may not be correct any more it may just be a compromise plug now

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Champion still makes the copper core ones - the 809 is the current packaging but they also make a powersports version of it for air cooled engines - I have been using those and am quite happy with them as they last a little longer in the hot summers here, imo. The 809's are cheap enough that I will swap in a new set just for going on a 300 mile ride at altitude, I must have 6 pairs laying around barely used.

Chris - correct me if I'm wrong, but you included the NGK's just because they also agreed to make up a pair of wires to include with your coil kit, right? NGK are fine, I use them in my Mini and the Toyota truck, but I use Champion in the Chevy V8 Jag and the Ducatis.

Before you go too crazy on other solutions, you must put in fresh plugs, the shops usually have the Champion since they fit lawnmowers(!) - don't skip this step.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The have for many years 25 or so

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Is that so??? I didn't know that.
No, that is not true, NGK has bought other firms over the years but they are still the parent company. Renn - you are thinking of Denso (since WW2 actually )- different company.

Established NGK SPARK PLUGS MALAYSIA BHD.
Started the manufacture of temperature sensors for automobile.
Established NICHIWA KIKI CO., LTD.
Started the operation of Kagoshima-Miyanojo Factory. (Kagoshima prefecture)
Established SIAM NGK SPARK PLUG CO., LTD.
Established NITTOKU UNYU CO., LTD.
Established NGK SPARK PLUG (U.K.) LTD.
Established NGK SPARK PLUG MFG. (U.S.A.), INC. (Manufacturing company)
Established PT NGK BUSI INDONESIA.
Established NTK CERAMICS (U.S.A.), INC. (Ceramic manufacturing company)
Established BUJIAS NGK DEL ECUADOR CIA LTDA.
Established NGK SPARK PLUGS (DEUTSCHLAND)., GmbH (the present NGK SPARK PLUG EUROPE GmbH)
Established NGK SPARK PLUG (AUSTRALIA) PTY. LTD.
Started the manufacture of quick glow system(QGS).
Established NGK SPARK PLUGS CANADA LIMITED.
EstabIished KAMIOKA CERAMIC CO., LTD.
Established TONO CERAMIC CO., LTD.
Started the manufacture of oxygen sensors for automobile.

NGK SPARK PLUG MFG. (U.S.A.), INC. changed its corporate name to NGK SPARK PLUGS (U.S.A.), INC., by merging with NGK SPARK PLUGS (U.S.A.), INC. and NTK CERAMICS (U.S.A.), INC.
Established TAIWAN NGK SPARK PLUG CO., LTD.
Established IIJIMA CERAMIC CO., LTD.
Started the manufacture of glow plugs(ceramic type).
lnvested in WOOJIN INDUSTRY CO., LTD. (Korea)
Established CERAMIC SENSOR CO., LTD.
Established NGK SPARK PLUG INDUSTRIES EUROPE S.A.S. (FRANCE)
Started the operation of Europe Technical Center.
Started the manufacture of bio ceramics.

Total number of production of NGK spark plugs exceeded 5 billion units.
Established BUJIAS NGK DE MEXICO S.A. DE C.V.
Started the operation of Brasil Technical Center.
Established NGK SPARK PLUGS (FRANCE) S.A.S.
Established Nakatsugawa Ceramic Co., Ltd.
Established NTK CUTTING TOOLS KOREA CO., LTD. (the present NTK TECHNICAL CERAMICS KOREA CO., LTD.)
Started the operation of Ise Factory. (Mie prefecture)
Established NGK SPARK PLUG MFG. (U.S.A.), INC.
Established NTK TECHNICAL CERAMICS (TAIWAN) LTD.
Established NGK SPARK PLUGS (U.S.A.) HOLDING, INC.
Started the operation of U.S.A. Technical Center.
Started the manufacture of NGK "Iridium" plugs.
Started the operation of Komaki Technical Center.
Started the manufacture of organic IC packages.

2000s
Started the manufacture of NGK "Iridium IX" plugs.
Established NGK SPARK PLUGS SINGAPORE PTE LTD.
Started the manufacture of oxygen concentrator for home oxygen therapy.
Started the operation of Komaki R&D Center.
Established NANSEI CERAMIC CO., LTD.
Restructured former NGK SPARK PLUGS (U.S.A.), INC. and NGK SPARK PLUG MFG. (U.S.A.), INC. Established newly NGK SPARK PLUGS (U.S.A.), INC. and NTK TECHNOLOGIES,INC. according to the product market.
Established NGK SPARK PLUG MIDDLE EAST FZE.
Established NGK SPARK PLUG (SHANGHAI) CO., LTD.
Established NTK TECHNICAL CERAMICS POLSKA SP.Z O.O.
Started the manufacture of new high temperature ceramic glow plugs.
Established NGK SPARK PLUGS (THAILAND) CO., LTD.
Started the manufacture of hydroxyapatite cement.
Established NGK SPARK PLUGS (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
Total number of domestic production of NGK plugs reached 10 billion units.
Established NGK SPARK PLUGS SA (PTY) LTD.
Established NGK SPARK PLUG (PHILIPPINES), INC.
NAKATSUGAWA CERAMIC CO., LTD. changed its corporate name to NTK CERAMIC CO., LTD. by merging with KANI CERAMIC CO., LTD. and IIJIMA CERAMIC CO., LTD.
Established CHANGSHU NGK SPARK PLUG CO., LTD.
Established NGK SPARK PLUGS (VIETNAM) CO., LTD.
Capital and Business Alliance with EASTERN CO., LTD.
Tono Ceramic Co., Ltd. changed its corporate name to SparkTec TONO CO., LTD.
Established LLC NGK SPARK PLUG (EURASIA)
Established Spark Tec (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
Established NITTOKU DENSHI CO., LTD.
Started the operation of SparkTec TONO CO., LTD.
Nino Headquaters Plant.
Acquired 100% ownership of NIHON CERATEC CO., LTD.
Acquisition of all the share relating to WELLS vehicle electronics business.
Nittoku Seisakusho Co., Ltd. changed its corporate name to SparkTec WKS Co., Ltd.
Started the operation of SparkTec WKS Co., Ltd.
Headquaters Plant.
Nihon Ceratec Co., Ltd. changed its corporate name to NTK Ceratec Co., Ltd.
Established CS Nakatsugawa Co., Ltd.
Established NTK Ceramic Co., Ltd.
SparkTec (Thailand) Co., Ltd. changed its corporate name to NGK SPARK PLUGS (ASIA) Co., Ltd.
Established Sharing FACTORY Co., Ltd.
Acquired 100% ownersthip of CAIRE Inc.
Established MORIMURA SOFC TECHNOLOGY Co., Ltd.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Also did you set your float levels? the spec I think is 14mm, but I had to set mine @ 15mm to work correctly but my issue was in the low speed circuit-my issue was dialing in the idle jets
Float level - mine is set at 12.5mm actually (according to the caliper). It came that way, and it was fine, so I haven't change it. I was wondering about that, too.

One funny thing...I've taken the carbs off, and/or took the left side cover off so often in the last couple of weeks, I'm getting really efficient at it. It's a weird feeling of familiarity, you know. I used to work on Yamaha RDs a lot. I got so good with it that I could drop the engine in less than 1/2 an hour, even without rushing.

Anyway, the search continues. I gotta get the new plugs, and I also want to try a stock airbox lid if I can, that sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Don't see the airbox as helping above 7k rpm, its something else. Have you got a clear inline fuel filter - placed where you can safely peek down at it when you are experiencing this issue at speed? If the filter is empty you would have your answer quick.

I suppose you could add to your list the possibility of one or both exhaust cans being plugged, not too hard to check. Obviously the headers themselves are not flattened from accident, correct?

21 - 40 of 137 Posts