Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
i dont do forums very much but i need some input quick! i have owned 3 jap bikes before and in searching for my fourth one (i really wanted a 2008 black gsxr 600) i found a 'good' deal on a 2004 ducati 749 dark in good cond. with about 4k mi on it. for $6k. the guy has paperwork where it was serviced (by a previous owner) in march and had a full carbon fiber mivv exhaust, 'high pref.' ducati filters, power commander, carbon fiber bits & pieces and frame sliders installed and tuned. he also has paperwork from a few days ago where he (current owner) took the bike to get adjusted for this altitude (it went from mississippi to colorado) where they replaced the spark plugs, cheked fuel pressure, compression and re-dynoed it and found that "it performed better without the power commander" so they took it off. i have read enough about the pro's and con's of owning such a bike, i have also ridden it. from my experience, it seems like a good bike. the thing that worries me the most is the fact that it has been re-painted gloss black because "he didnt like the factory dull".
what are things to look for on such a bike?
can the power commander deal be true, or do they not know how to properly tune a PC?
how often do ppl run into a re-painted ducati??
questions to ask?
noises?
things to know?
maintance that should have been done by now? (i know the 6k is comin up)
general tips before i buy this bike?

i have given the dude a $100 deposit, just so he doesnt get rid of it, and i am supposed to go see it and most likely buy it in 3 days,
please help!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
How much money do you have set aside for routine maintenance? -Or, better yet, how mechanically inclined, and capable at learning are you? (certainly helps to keep costs down)

I always say get 'em... but I'm biased. :crazy:

There are a THOUSAND things to look for... search "What to look for when buying a Ducati" or something like that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It seems to me that your already set to buy a Japanese Motorcyle and I feel you should. It sounds like your trying to find a reason to buy a Ducati but have alot of questions(excuses)to do so. The Ducati is a maintance cow and will require more work than your Japanese bike. If you've ridden the 749 and didnt think it was all that great then it defenetly is not worth you buying...If it was, then go for it and enjoy it. Like the previous poster said"Do reaserch on the web"I always felt that if a person put alot of performance crap into the motorcycle it was for a reason......That reason being"To go faster" and possibly hurt the engine since it wasent built for that. However, you have seen all the paper work(dealer) and looks like the bike is good so I would buy it and take all that extra shit off. With the money you save you can get it repainted or buy a complete new fairing kit...Just my 2cents

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
willl do guys, thanks. im gonna reasearch (at work) tomorrow a bit more, and go from there. I'm really inclined towards getting it, so far no one has flat out told me its a bad deal. I am definitely prepared to give up things like long-range comfort and accept extra maintnance costs. My dad and I (I'm only 20 yrs old.)know how to do basic maintance, my dad has owned bikes for aprox 25 yrs. even then we take newer bikes to the shop for pretty much everything. I have been taking my bikes to sun enterprises in thorton, and rpm motorsports in lakewood, I'm not sure if they do Duc. maint.?? do you know of a trustwrothy mechanic. Im near 6th ave. & Sheridan??

thanks!

·
Registered
660 Posts
willl do guys, thanks. im gonna reasearch (at work) tomorrow a bit more, and go from there. I'm really inclined towards getting it, so far no one has flat out told me its a bad deal. I am definitely prepared to give up things like long-range comfort and accept extra maintnance costs. My dad and I (I'm only 20 yrs old.)know how to do basic maintance, my dad has owned bikes for aprox 25 yrs. even then we take newer bikes to the shop for pretty much everything. I have been taking my bikes to sun enterprises in thorton, and rpm motorsports in lakewood, I'm not sure if they do Duc. maint.?? do you know of a trustwrothy mechanic. Im near 6th ave. & Sheridan??

thanks!
Go see Brian Sharp at Boulder Motorsports in of all places: Boulder

http://bouldermotorsports.com/

He's the man when it comes to Ducati's. He does top shelf work for our local guys and the big boys around the world...

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
Walk away if there's a rattling noise from the clutch in neutral.

:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
apparently thats the same shop where it was serviced a few days ago by the current owner, definitely adds a little more confidence to the purchase if it's that good of a shop. thanks again!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Go see Brian Sharp at Boulder Motorsports in of all places: Boulder

http://bouldermotorsports.com/

He's the man when it comes to Ducati's. He does top shelf work for our local guys and the big boys around the world...
+1 on that! BMS rocks!!

You might just call Bryan and ask him point blank about the bike. He's a straight shooter with an impeccable rep.

Good luck,

John

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
drove it home yesterday (50mi drive :) ). so far so good, ive ridden it a bit over 100mi. (with plates from my old bikes haha) love the things that make it stand out from japs, the con's arent too bad. . . so far. i was surprised that it needs choke pretty much every start. i have probly used the choke once or twice on every jap bike ive owned, and that was during freezing cold colorado winters when i just wanted the fluids to circulate. I also need to get ahold of at least one more black key. most every question that ive came up with i have been able to research at least half an answer. thanks for the input guys.

come riding season I might take it to Mr. Sharp for a quick glance. although he worked on it about a week ago. i'd really like to ask him why he decided it would work better with the PC off??

thanks for the help guys!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
o right, where are my manners

Attachments

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
drove it home yesterday (50mi drive :) ). i was surprised that it needs choke pretty much every start. i have probly used the choke once or twice on every jap bike ive owned,
its not a choke ,its a fast idle lever .using it is no dfferent than holding the throttle part open when starting.likely the bikes a tad lean as it sits . fwiw the ecu richens the fuel when the bikes cold. congrats on the new bike,had my 749 since 04 and it still make me smile everytime i walk by it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts