Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, I joined the forums to get some input on the 1198. I dont personally know any ducati owners, so I came here. I'm planning on bying a 1198 in the next year, but i owuld like to know how the acceleration is compared to a gsxr 1000. I've also been told that the maintanace on ducati are an issue or is not as easy as the jap bikes.

I'd appreciate any input....

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
there is plenty on the web if you are concerned with bench racing. Different mags. websites have all the numbers you need. As far as I know, bench racing is nothing but bragging and ego stroking. Unless you are going drag racing.
Ducs generally need more frequent maintenance. This is not due to poor design or quality. Different technology. Look up desmo valve engineering on the web.
A 1198 or gsxr 1000 or any liter bike are more bike than 99.9% of us mortals will ever need. I feel that only pro riders will truely push the limits of this bike

·
Registered
797 Posts
Power?

Your first statement is about acceleration, case closed. If and when buy a GSXR 1000. When peoples priorities go there first, that's mostly all they care about.

A Ducati is a lifestyle that is not measured by acceleration, but by an exclusive Italian machine with true soul. I got Jap stuff in my garage, no shame, just very little soul....

Cheers,
Mark

hi everyone, I joined the forums to get some input on the 1198. I dont personally know any ducati owners, so I came here. I'm planning on bying a 1198 in the next year, but i owuld like to know how the acceleration is compared to a gsxr 1000. I've also been told that the maintanace on ducati are an issue or is not as easy as the jap bikes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure that maintenance on a Japanese bike is easier! They may have longer service intervals on some systems, but digging into one of those inline fours would not be a simple task.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont get me wrong, I've always wanted a Duc, but is not till now that i can afford one. so what you are saying is that the jap bike have better straght line acceleration?

what do you mean as for the more frequent maintance?

the 1198 has desmo valves too?

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
In the 21 year history of WSBK, Ducati SBK have been champions 15 times.

The only thing I know is my 998 Testa (WSBK 2002 champion engine) has way more accel and power than I need. These babes flick left and right, and stop on a dime. The suspensions absord the bumps, and settle the machine beautifully through all the corners. The engine runs like a pussycat from ~3000-4500, and roars like a crazy ape from ~5500-11000 rpm's.

And all that just from a Monster. A SPBK would be even better.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Really, if you want straight line acceleration buy a Busa. A Duc is more the sum of its parts. An aural experience booming along. If you want one just to say you have a Duc you may be dissapointed. Besides IMO the 1198 is nothing special to look at.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
I have an 1198S with Termignoni slip-ons. So far....

Out-accelerated a CBR1000 (05), an R1 (04), and stayed neck and neck with a modified 08 Hayabusa ridden by a very good rider.

I made 157rhwp. Japanese bikes will make more, but none of them can touch the 91 ft-lbs of torque that the 1198S makes. Most all liter bikes make 75-81 ft-lbs of torque.

The Ducati is explosive in acceleration. It signs off the power at a hair above 10k rpm, as the other bikes go to 12-13k rpm. But the power curve up to the Ducati's redline is WAY more than the liter bikes. Case in point.

2009 R1 will make 2-3 peak rwhp more than a stock 1198. However, at 8k rpm, the 1198 makes a whopping 34 rwhp more than the R1. It's this torque and flat power curve why the bikes are very fast.

But if you're looking for bragging rights and freeway runs, just get a GSXR1000or a Hayabusa and be done with it. I bought the bike because of the exclusivity, the incredible handling, the lifestyle, and the massive amounts of PASSION the bike gives me as a rider whenever I ride it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A bike I would never get is a busa....just dont like them... I like to feel how the bike accelerates and leans on the turns. I live in Puerto Rico now, and busas are liek bicycles here, everybody has one..... on the other hand, I dont think i've ever seen anyone on a Duc super bike around. But then again.... I'd like to show em what ducati has when they pull next to me in a jap bike.

how about the sound...are they loud?

·
Registered
797 Posts
You make mention that this is not an imeadiate purchase, "a next year purchase" so you are not shopping today. In a year many things change.

Yet presently the 1198 is a great bike, yes it's a Desmo motor.

The Jap stuff is great if you want more power than anyone can use on the street. Anyone that says they can use the all the power of the current GSXR1000 on the street is full of crap.

Yes, if you make it to the service time of a Jap bike, it will cost bucks! Most people crash prior to the service time of the typical Jap superbike. I know, I follow the insurance companies salvage yards out here.

Everything cost big bucks for service today, if you want a Ducati, you want it for being a fantastic machine, not because of "straight-line" aceleration, which of course is incredible, but that's not the reason a seasoned rider buys one.....

Cheers,
mark

Dont get me wrong, I've always wanted a Duc, but is not till now that i can afford one. so what you are saying is that the jap bike have better straght line acceleration?

what do you mean as for the more frequent maintance?

the 1198 has desmo valves too?

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts

What is your bike experience and what are you looking for in a bike?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Buy the bike that you actually want to ride, not the one that laps some track you will never touch the fastest...

All the bikes are so powerful and reliable now it's really just comes down too which one you feel happiest whilst riding and the upfront/maintenance costs.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Everyone's journey through motorcycle ownership is different, so I am not trying to make any kind of statement, here. However, when I bought my first Ducati, I knew I WANTED A DUCATI!!! At the time, I had an FZR 1000, and I didn't give a damn if the 900SS I was looking at would compete with it. I was in love with the sound, looks, etc. I didn't have to ask anyone if it was right for me...I was going for it, and be damned what anyone else thought!

Take that as food for thought, or dismiss it as completely irrelevant to your situation.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As seen in other posts I have just bought my first Duc, have a history of at least 30 Jap bikes the last ten being one liter bikes, Gixxer 1000 and R1's I asked a similar question but a toss up between 1098 and the 1198, let me tell you no Jap bike even comes close, I was also worried about the performance hit but I am not disappointed in any way with my new bike I love it.
I went out for a fast run 300K ish ride, with some guys last Sunday 1098s, 848, new ZX10, R6 CBR1000 and a cruiser, by the end of the day the guy riding the 1098 who by the way is quicker than me and me on my 1198 were way ahead on the ride back, we murdered the ZX10 everywhere but especially in the turns as for straight line speed it was so hard to judge because of the corner speed of the Duc's he was never close enough for a comparison!!!! I will never buy a Jap liter bike again I'm converted oh and by the way if you buy a new Duc now the first two services are free!!!!! and free 24 month road side assistance even if you bin it they'll come get you!!!! forget the Jap bikes if you can afford it get a Ducati......its worth it for the looks you get!!!!!!!!! my 2 pence worth Colin. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
right now i own a 05 GSXR 750, but im looking in to something bigger....And im not really in to anykind of racing except for the occasional dash....but Eventuall i will gert in to a Duc.

Thanks alot for all the feedback guys!

·
Registered
618 Posts
when I bought my first Ducati, I knew I WANTED A DUCATI!!! At the time, I had an FZR 1000, and I didn't give a damn if the 900SS I was looking at would compete with it. I was in love with the sound, looks, etc. I didn't have to ask anyone if it was right for me...I was going for it, and be damned what anyone else thought!
+1

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I made 157rhwp. Japanese bikes will make more, but none of them can touch the 91 ft-lbs of torque that the 1198S makes. Most all liter bikes make 75-81 ft-lbs of torque.
That is because the 1198 has 20% more displacement, hence 20% more torque (theoretical maximum torque depends solely on displacement).

Tom

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
2009 R1 will make 2-3 peak rwhp more than a stock 1198. However, at 8k rpm, the 1198 makes a whopping 34 rwhp more than the R1. It's this torque and flat power curve why the bikes are very fast.
And there we have the japanese vs. ducati power curves in a nutshell, ladies and gentlemen. Pick a side.....or both! :cool:

·
Registered
66 Posts
The best thing to do is go to the ducati dealer and test ride one for your self. Before I got my 1098s it was 1000cc jap bikes only for the last 17 years until I attended a ducati dealer demo ride, and I was sold.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts