Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a rubber ducati corse one, but dangles and the metal from the keyring touches the paint..

i'm anal sometimes and would like something better.. or i'll just use the key by itself...

anyone have something cool?

i'll have to slightly mod mine i guess

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
get a big thin rubber O-Ring and do a half hitch through the key and attach a fob if you want or not...if the O-ring is gummy enough or flexible and rubbery enough...you can use it as a wristband to have your key with you easily at times when you aren't on the bike!

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
I can't stand rattling keys/chains or anything rattling or dangling, I just use the key and have a clip on my other keys to clip it to when I'm not riding, I do the same in my car as I don't like anything rattling there either. :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dam, i love both ideas!
thanx!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
ducati955 said:
just got a rubber ducati corse one, but dangles and the metal from the keyring touches the paint..

i'm anal sometimes and would like something better.. or i'll just use the key by itself...

anyone have something cool?

i'll have to slightly mod mine i guess
The key is, so to speak, is to have an all rubber fob.

And also a SMALL ring that connects fob to the key. The ring must be small enough that no metal parts reach the painted surfaces. The ring in my pics is about 1.3 CM or 1/2".

The fob should be all rubber or leather, with no metal whatsoever, so that it does not harm the surfaces.

Also, I completely remove or bypass any metal that typicaly comes on the fob, as that will make the whole thing too long and cause the metal to reach the bike.

UPDATE: Here is a video I shot today using a cheapo camcorder. I do a closeup of the key and fob for you, so you can see that nothing is touching the bike surface. See other threads for camcorder setup and how I converted this for posting.

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/900warmup1min.wmv

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I also hate the sratching up of the key area. I did a first aid course where as a gift they gave you a little packet cantaining a CPR mask. It's just a piece of plastic with a tube for the air to pass through. Thing is it come in a little nylon type pouch. I have had that on for a few years now.. I also like to believe that so long as I have it I'll NEVER need it. Bit like the first aid kit under the seat. haha No tools but a first aid kit.,. what does THAT say??

Mal

I'll post a picture tonight when I get home

·
Registered
401 Posts
I actually have one I bought while ridding "The Dragon". Cool looking rubberized dragon and a real small ring. Ring doesn't touch anything except the key and the FOB and "The Dragon" doesn't scratch anything.

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
Check out the key ring my action figure is holding in my avatar. The yellow Superbike is a Photoshop covering up the "Seattle" of "Ducati Seattle".

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Get one of the European neck holders. They have a big loop you wear around your neck with a plastic snap buckle like fanny packs use. There's a small loop that has the keyring on it. When you're not riding you snap the little keyring into the clasp on your neck loop. Great if you wear leathers (no pockets) because it gives you a really secure place to keep your key. You never lose it or drop it with one of these. If the key loop allows the buckle to contact your paint, just shorten it a little or get another clasp of the same size and velcro it to the bike then plug the buckle on the key loop into it when you ride. That will hold the buckle away from painted surfaces.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Why even use a keychain? All you really need is the key all by itself, but if a reminder is needed, a bright orange Zip tie works well....

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
hank said:
Why even use a keychain? All you really need is the key all by itself, but if a reminder is needed, a bright orange Zip tie works well....
There is one school of thought that anything except a key is unsafe. Anything else dangling from a key ring could break off and lock up your steering if it fell into the wrong area.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Here's another thought. Not sure if it could happen..but it's something that's run across my mind. Say you're at a track day and you get into a bad wreck. Or say you're in a bad street wreck. Somehow your key comes out and goes flying wherever. Then unless you have a second key on you or someone else does you're SOL getting your bike going. If all you have on it is a little metal ring or something you'll never find it. But if it's brightly colored like that pink Tribble from Star Trek VIVID1 has on hers, you might find it. I might try that.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I used red and green gimp from a hobby store, and weaved my own. I can always locate it in my pocket...

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
hank said:
Indeed, I only use the key but which I clip on to the alarm remote control but whilst my bike was at a dealer some years ago, I gave them the key with alarm remote and they used the key with the remote attached and got it jammed between the steering damper and tank whilst pushing the bike around the shop and broke my remote - I wouldn't want that to happen whilst riding the bike.

Personally I think it's dangerous to have anything attached to your key, especially on the 916 series bikes as there really isn't space for anything and you'll end up with minimum a scratched tank and worse a crash!

But I have seen people stick a piece of velcro on the tank and on the key ring so it stays stuck to it.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
grendels_arm said:
But if it's brightly colored like that pink Tribble from Star Trek VIVID1 has on hers, you might find it. I might try that.
You sure you're not just making excuses to get a Girly key-ring? :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
grendels_arm said:
But if it's brightly colored like that pink Tribble from Star Trek VIVID1 has on hers, you might find it. I might try that.
Not so sure about that, I had "one", but I left it in the bike in the garage one night. I went out the next day to find by bird feed bucket on the floor, "empty", and several hundred of those Tribble key fobs running around the garage....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts