Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm not in way over my head but I started the process to paint the frame on my Streetfighter today.

My wife Candie helped me and we made a day of it. I borrowed an engine cradle from Boulder Motorsports but decided not to use it.

Holy crap guys this is a lot of work and everything is as tight as possible on this bike... Yikes!

In case you're wondering, I pulled the pin on the swingarm moved the frame and put the pin back in
so the swingarm stays in place - less work that way.

The frame and wheels will go to the paintshop on monday or tuesday. Big snow again here today...

Painting the wheels the factory Marchesini gold from their racing wheels and the frame will be red.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Your a brave man Mike :eek:
Might pay to keep this thread from your dealer in case you need a warranty claim on something in the future!!! :rolleyes:
Can't wait to see the finished product.
good luck on the reassembly :D
Oh, and you definitely have the right wife!

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Based on your garage set-up, I'd venture to guess you are the right man for the job. I won't wish you good luck, because you already have that in your shop helper! Keep us posted.

·
Bon Vivant
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might pay to keep this thread from your dealer in case you need a warranty claim on something in the future!!!
I have the manual on it's way to me right now and it should be here well before I start the reassembly,
everything will be lubed, torqued, threadlocked, and done per the book and then I'll have the bike checked over by the expert guys at BMS.
I doubt there should be any grounds for denial should any warranty issue arise.

I'm gonna be very diligent with this reassembly.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
good time to lube the chain...:D

·
Registered
328 Posts
don't wait so long getting it painted you forget how to reassemble it. :D
I hope they eventually have a red frame, because I want a black one with red frame and having no garage it would be impossible for me to do what your doing!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
wow man...just wow...you must be crazy!! :)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Good lad Flyn, nice to see you doing summat diiferent. For a man of you calibre it should be a piece of piss......:D

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Painting is all done! I've been working on putting it back together all day.
Taking a quick break, will have it done tonight.
Pics to follow tomorrow...

:eek::eek::eek:
can't wait to see it...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Can't wait! thanks for keeping this alive...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
now we've got a picture thread!!go on and make a nice presentation there to set an example! :)

·
Bon Vivant
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's how my wife and I spent the day yesterday...

The paint is very fresh and scratches easy so we were very careful and went slow!
Candie had the Service manual up on the computer and looked up every torque setting.
We were armed with three different loctite strengths and about four types of lube.

My Father-in-law just gave me two Snap-on torque wrenches that were a joy to use. Man, good tools make all the difference!
(in case some of you outside of N. America don't have Snap-on - best of the best here)

We really had very little trouble with anything, even getting the wiring back in place was a breeze.

Attachments

·
Bon Vivant
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the bike came out great. The look is not really outstanding it just looks like it was meant to be that way. Exactly what I was hoping for.

The wheel color was a surprise but I really love it.
The color doesn't translate in pics well.

The paint finish is fantastic - I just hope it's durable...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Lookin good Flyn.......:D

It is interesting seeing how we as humans, go down different routes with our preferences:D.....:D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts