Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has to be the most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden. :(

Ok so I have only owned 4 bikes in my life but this is unreal, I used to take my ZX6 from Toronto to Tennessee in one day! I wouldn’t even think about that on this bike! I just got back from a 600km (that’s right KM) ride today and I’m in a lot of pain, as this is my road bike (I have another track bike) what do you guys recommend to make this great bike not be as painful to ride?

Keep in mind I live on ON so don’t say hang off it in corners as we don’t have any! lol ON is as straight as it gets.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Either that or some heli bars. I put them on my 748 because I could not ride it more than a couple of hours before my wrists and neck were screaming. Of course, I'm old.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
come ride my sport classic around for 30 minutes, you'll think your bike is a Cadillac!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Doesnt the power and finesse of this exotic somewhat cancel the level of discomfort? My 1198S is good for about a tankful before i have to rest _ and stare at the beaut. I guess my note is, these Ltwins are made to rock and they do a farkin good job at it. Hang in dude, and get bike B for crusin.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My solution...buy another bike for comfort.

YZF600 for a dedicated track bike.

a comfy cruiser (Multistrada 1000)

and the 999...for setting my hair on fire while screaming and laughing like a madman while riding. I can only do about 100 miles at a time, but it's worth every damn cent. Yeah and 170lbs 5'10" helps too.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I think that your choice of a SuperSport for a road bike was an error. This is kind of like complaining that your McLaren is uncomfortable...........

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I find my 999R very comfortable for long, multi-day rides, much more than my ST2 or SS.

If I want uncomfortable, I have my LeMans.

Tom

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Not having any curvy roads hurts because riding them forces you to move your body around and thus your not stuck in one spot like riding the slab. Just being on the new bike with the different ergos will take time to adjust and the first 4 or 5 times will be more painful before things settle down and your wrists get used to the new position. Thats not to say its going to be like riding a cruiser, its just going to get better. Mechanical aids like raising the handlebars is the age old remedy, getting a better seat helps as well. However, I found with my 916, aka "torture rack" a Sargent seat was nice but it was thicker than stock and therefore put me in a higher sitting position. I contended this put me more into the handlebars. I midigated that by slapping on a set of FBF bracket risers, spendy but they really helped. I liked the fact it was a ten minute install compared to the old Cycle Cat set up. CC had more adjustment capability, but alot of that in my case was blocked by the nose fairing getting in the way.

Should have bought a 999, it had a three position adjustable seat and multiple rear set holes. I just threw that in there as a dig because I think Ducati should have left those features on when the 1098/848 came out. I suppose they wanted to erase PT's design ideas, but they overlooked the fact adjustability had nothing to do with design, it had everything to do with function. That was PT's legacy. Probably had everything to do with cutting costs. Moving the seat around in conjunction with the sets more or less customizes the ergos to suit your body type. End of mini rant since this doesn't apply in your case, but eventually you can help matters with aftermarket rear sets. Doing this and other things like the risers and seat improvement will help matters much. However, I've also heard of cases no matter what you do the bike is just not the right fit. Some people even have a difficult if not impossible time with a more upright position, as strange as that may sound. But its true, but generally the more you can get into a modified upright position the more theoritically you relieve the pressure on your wrists. In my case, I start to hurt in the hips first then the knees after being on the road for a while. Recently I have been adjusting the seat and rear sets and in fact moved the seat up tonight so I can test that position on the next ride.

Good luck, once you get your "sportbike" legs in order things will get better.

·
Registered
170 Posts
When I was on my s4 I was uncomfortable. I traded it for a 999 and it was way comfortable. Now with the 1198, it did take a few rides to get use to the wrist position. What is uncomfortable is the seat and I think that has to do with the extra heat the bike generates. I thought the 999 was hot, but it's got nothing on the 1198. Even leathers are no match for the heat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The stock set-up on my 999 was beating me up pretty bad, being 6'3" 215 lbs then I started playing around with everything that adjusted the riding position but left the suspension alone. The thing I noticed the most and gave me the most relief was moving the rear-sets. It doesn't look like much when you're moving them but once you're on the bike its quite significant. I don't know what the adjustability is with what I assume is an 848? But I'd say start with the rear sets so you're not chewing on your knees.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
The stock set-up on my 999 was beating me up pretty bad, being 6'3" 215 lbs then I started playing around with everything that adjusted the riding position but left the suspension alone. The thing I noticed the most and gave me the most relief was moving the rear-sets. It doesn't look like much when you're moving them but once you're on the bike its quite significant. I don't know what the adjustability is with what I assume is an 848? But I'd say start with the rear sets so you're not chewing on your knees.
Thats why I brought up the fact the 1098/848 series are nil and void for adjustability; no multiple mounting holes for moving the rear sets nor is the seat adjustable. You have to go with aftermarket rear sets, but you still can't move the seat which adds more flexibility and likely a more comfortable set up.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
what do you guys recommend to make this great bike not be as painful to ride?
I´m guessing you´ve set your suspension up? Sag aswell as compression rebound?

Look into the Corse seat (better padding)
Higher clipons, there are afew options.
Aftermarket rearsets/footpegs. Both lower and slightly forward helps.

Other then that.. I put a higher windscreen on my SPS and that helped some on long straight rides. Getting a lighter spring for the throttle return is also a good idea.

//amullo

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I´m guessing you´ve set your suspension up? Sag aswell as compression rebound?

Look into the Corse seat (better padding)
Higher clipons, there are afew options.
Aftermarket rearsets/footpegs. Both lower and slightly forward helps.

Other then that.. I put a higher windscreen on my SPS and that helped some on long straight rides. Getting a lighter spring for the throttle return is also a good idea.

//amullo
I haven't done anything yet, I just got this bike. its not my wrists that hurt its my azz - killing me after about 100miles

I think if i do a new seat and suspension setup it will be a lot better

·
Registered
228 Posts
worth a try

To the OP and anyone with a 1098 or 1198. If you don't like the riding position of your new bike; Im willing to trade you a 99 SV 650. Hope this will help anyone out looking for a more comfortable riding experience. By the way you bought a Duc, please be happy. Most motorcyclist would give there left nut for one. Then again that might help your riding position.

·
Premium Member
12,322 Posts
This has to be the most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden. :(

Keep in mind I live on ON so don’t say hang off it in corners as we don’t have any! lol ON is as straight as it gets.
Be glad you don't live in Saskatchewan , if you don't like Straight....You can watch your dog run away from home for hours...

No advice here Just trying to let you cope a bit better

·
Registered
620 Posts
My solution...buy another bike for comfort.

...a dedicated track bike.

...for setting my hair on fire while screaming and laughing like a madman while riding. I can only do about 100 miles at a time, but it's worth every damn cent. Yeah and 170lbs 5'10" helps too.
+1

1098 for general awesomeness and setting my hair on fire.

GSXR 600 for track and street beater duty, and my body not hating me when I get off of it. Compared to the 1098, the used GSXR was cheap, parts are cheap, and maint. is cheap.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts