Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just got a job offer in Portland, I've been there a few times. How is the weather in the Spring and Summer? Percentile of sunshine? Do you love riding there? Short trem rental market?

Thanks for any input.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,956 Posts
erinpaul said:
Hi all,

I just got a job offer in Portland, I've been there a few times. How is the weather in the Spring and Summer? Percentile of sunshine? Do you love riding there? Short trem rental market?

Thanks for any input.
Welcome to Portland (if you take the job offer)!

Spring can be a little wet some years, dry in others, but mostly, it's the time when the snow finally starts to melt in the mountains and opens them up for more great riding. I don't know where you are now, but I suspect you'll find Portland and Oregon a little wetter than you're used to. The rain is what keeps this State so beautifully green and lush.

Summers are generally quite dry and hot. Summer temps can range between mid 80s to mid 90s. Sometimes, it gets into the low 100s, but not very often. There is little to no humidity here, which is exactly how I like it!

Can't quote you actual percentages of sunshine, but I expect you'll find that sort of stuff on the Web if you look. Oregon isn't exactly a Sunshine State, but I think we get plenty of Sun. I personally ride all year round. It gets cold and wet during the Winter, but you'll still be able to ride if you dress appropriately.

The riding around Portland is excellent! You have the Cascade mountains about 50 miles to the East and the stunning Oregon coast about 50 miles to the West. The majestic Columbia Gorge is also on your doorstep! You don't have to ride far to find spectacular roads. The hills around Portland are nothing to be scoffed at!
 

·
Still needs a life.
Joined
·
12,609 Posts
If the weather and roads will allow you to cross the Cascades, eastern Oregon offers the best riding in the PNW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Quality rain gear is a must, but if you're willing to get wet there will only be a few days a year you can't ride. And don't forget what a great place Portland is in general; the nation's largest physical bookstore, more breweries than any other city on the planet, more restaurants per capita than NYC, and a pretty decent Ducati shop to boot (except that they were out of Motrex oil last weekend).
 

·
Still needs a life.
Joined
·
12,609 Posts
Check the Frapper map and you will see there are quite few Oregon Ducs.
 

·
Site Sponsor & Senior Member
Joined
·
193 Posts
Welcome!
Yea, to what they said!
lil more trivia
population, aprox 2.8mi for the state,
60-70% live in the Willamette Valley. Medford to Portland
Portland's average rain fall, 33-36" a year, it takes I believe around 200days year to get it.
1/2 of the state is desert. or high savana's 300+ days a year of sun.
The eastern 1/2 of the state is quitely getting a reputation for some
very good riding, combined with low population. (= low patrol)
One trip I came across a group of guys from texas, 12 to 15.
Truck big flat bed trailer, one bike on it (crash damage) They flew in and one guy drive the bikes up!

Andrew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
sorry!!

supersparky750 said:
Quality rain gear is a must, but if you're willing to get wet there will only be a few days a year you can't ride. And don't forget what a great place Portland is in general; the nation's largest physical bookstore, more breweries than any other city on the planet, more restaurants per capita than NYC, and a pretty decent Ducati shop to boot (except that they were out of Motrex oil last weekend).
sorry andy!!!! (for being out of motorex.... we've got tons in stock again, btw...)
oh- and i agree with andy about portland. moved up here from santa cruz, ca, and i couldn't be happier! (well, if portland were a bit closer to the ocean, i could be happier, but not by much...)

kat
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,956 Posts
acpdx said:
Welcome!
Yea, to what they said!
lil more trivia
population, aprox 2.8mi for the state,
60-70% live in the Willamette Valley. Medford to Portland
Portland's average rain fall, 33-36" a year, it takes I believe around 200days year to get it.
1/2 of the state is desert. or high savana's 300+ days a year of sun.
The eastern 1/2 of the state is quitely getting a reputation for some
very good riding, combined with low population. (= low patrol)
One trip I came across a group of guys from texas, 12 to 15.
Truck big flat bed trailer, one bike on it (crash damage) They flew in and one guy drive the bikes up!

Andrew
...and here's some more trivia...

The whole of the British Isles will fit within the borders of Oregon State! As Andrew said, there are only about 2.8 million people in Oregon. There are about 63 million people in England alone (about 8 million of those are in London)! No wonder I find there to be a lot of space to move around here (as you've probably guessed by now... I'm English!)!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
english vs. english

pgeller said:
Yes, but he doesn't SPEAK English.

pg
paul- i think you mean he doesn't speak 'american english'. which is a whole retarded language of its own. (which i love)
but at least here 'fanny pack' means something much more inane....

oh- and we're all talking about portland oregon..... not the other one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey all,

Thanks for all the input. I declined the offer as it did not make sense for me right now.
I have visited the PDX neighborhood several times and think the city is great. I went to a slammin' party there at Cobalt (5 yrs ago), and had sushi at Tiger Room? Anyway, I will be back for a visit!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top