Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good news!

I am now the owner of a 1996 model 916 SP3! It has a numbered triple clamp. Generally good condition, just not very used. I think it needs plugs. It stalled at the light a few times.

Anyway, no pix yet, but I will soon.

I guess it has twin injectors and can be changed to a 955 easily by simply swapping to 96mm pistons. Sounds good to me!

alexxx

http://books.google.com.sg/books?id...=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#PPA56,M1

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Nice one..

Just be aware that the 916 SP and SP3 is abit high strung, so stalling when the bike isn´t fully warm is something your going to have/get.

A friend of mine had one and it seems like a very nice bike indeed. The most highly tuned 916cc engine to ever leave the factory in a roadbike. Going 955cc is an option, but look HARD at that before you do it... Failures are not uncommon.

congrats!

//amullo

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
What are the differences on the SP3?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the SP3 has some nice bits:

NO--> twin injectors

Yes:
adjustable ECU has different modules in there so it's easier to change/tweak than 916
50mm throttle bodies
50mm exhaust
more aggressive cams
high compression that the 916
some stock carbon bits
ohlins rear shock
numbered triple clamp

I am still getting to know the bike, but hope I can get more ECU modules for it or figure out how to tune it...

Will let you all know.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
The SP and SP3 are the same..
916cc
P8 ECU, high lift cams, slightly raised compression, Ohlins rear shock.
CF front fender and airbox.

As for tuning.. The P8 accepts ultimap chips, but getting one for your bike might not be possible. A buddy of mine had a SP3 and i think he may still have his custom Powercommander map lying around. I´ll see about it and send it if you post up your email.

Tomtom at hypertrick did mine, so i know he has the hardware.. I´d talk to brad black at bikeboy.org or Tom at Hypertrick.net

//amullo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts