Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Solved! With parts installed including the ECU, IMMO and ignition, the bike runs but needs side stand up and clutch disengaged. Now to find the threads about bypassing the side stand.
Damn,
Decided to listen to the bike running again so tried to start again Friday. Bike is dead again. Back to not turning over. Aaarrgh! I need to say the words persistence and tenacity over and over again...........

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
earth wire on the ecu screw?
I always ensure that this earth is well connected as this is always removed for belt service etc so this is solid. Interestingly, as I was sure that the clutch switch has something to do with this issue I just wiggled the connectors down by the immobilizer. I actually tried to pull them apart to bridge the switch out to prove the fault location. Just moving them around has the bike running again so there must be a dry joint or similar. I will disconnect and clean the connectors tonight.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ouch, after all that expense!
May I suggest that you try replacing your old ECU to see if the problem was, in fact, those loose connectors after all...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ouch, after all that expense!
May I suggest that you try replacing your old ECU to see if the problem was, in fact, those loose connectors after all...
No it was definitely the ECU at fault. With spark and fuel absent on one cylinder it is the classic ECU fail. The difficulty has been with the start sequence differences between the maps. The old map only needed the bike in neutral to start. You could start it in gear if the clutch was disengaged. The new ECU map needs the clutch disengaged regardless. The ability to start the bike in gear with the clutch disengaged has been off and on over the years but it has never bothered me. Just slip in neutral if not working and start from there. Now it needs to be fixed and it may have just been the connections all this time although the connections are well seated. A bit weird to be ok and then not so quickly without doing anything.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.
I've been following this discussion with, I confess, a vested interest; I have a problem with the front cylinder refusing to fire. I solved it once by checking the CPS for swarf etc and by replacing the under seat relays, but it's happened again. When I have the time to investigate it again I'll be keeping in mind everything I have gleaned from these pages.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the clarification.
I've been following this discussion with, I confess, a vested interest; I have a problem with the front cylinder refusing to fire. I solved it once by checking the CPS for swarf etc and by replacing the under seat relays, but it's happened again. When I have the time to investigate it again I'll be keeping in mind everything I have gleaned from these pages.
I think the key to this to determine if there is spark and fuel together. Check for spark by pulling plug out and sitting on the motor and turning the bike over. No spark? Put plug back in and turn over again. Pull plug and check for fuel/wet plug. Both injectors, fuel pump and coils are on the same circuit so if a combination of fuel and spark is a problem I would say the ECU has failed. :-(

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I always ensure that this earth is well connected as this is always removed for belt service etc so this is solid. Interestingly, as I was sure that the clutch switch has something to do with this issue I just wiggled the connectors down by the immobilizer. I actually tried to pull them apart to bridge the switch out to prove the fault location. Just moving them around has the bike running again so there must be a dry joint or similar. I will disconnect and clean the connectors tonight.
Note that I thought I had a wiring/connection issue when I was troubleshooting my bad ECU -- strange things happened when I tugged on the harness area below the gauges while the engine was running. I did find one fuse that had a bad connection, right where it plugs into the fuse box. It was a low-amp fuse, like a 3A, and I think it was the bottom fuse. It was making intermittent connection and I believe it powered the IMMO along with some other small loads. I actually tore into my wiring harness before I found the bad connection on the fuse...

21 - 28 of 28 Posts