Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Not posting here much nowadays. So you have read the thread title....bugger! Had only ridden about 5kms and it was like someone flicked a switch. Down to one cylinder and stayed that way until I returned home. No misfiring or occasional firing just immediately dead on horizontal cylinder. Bike temp was only 70C.
I had a mechanic mate hook his diagnostics up to the bike. Bike showed a "Coil 1 attention" error. Cool, maybe not the ECU. It is an 03 so My thinking was that the 02 and previous bikes were affected by the ECU fail.

Ok easy I thought, just swap the coils to prove faulty coil. The problem stayed with the horizontal cylinder. Pulled spark plug after running the bike on one and the plug was not wet so no fuel and no spark?? I did swap plugs to prove the plug was ok. Its only 400kms old.

I have some questions.
Can you fit a reflashed ECU from an 02 bike to check or will the immobilizer prevent the bike from starting? Will it work only if the ecu was "virginised?
How do you identify pin 38 on the ECU to check continuity to coil?
What would cause both fuel and spark to fail on one cylinder?

Would the error code mean that there is an open circuit in the coil wiring or even internal of the ECU?

Its a bit of a bugger as the ECU has a Rexxer map reflash. I have just repaired an oil leak from the left hand engine cover now this.It might be time to upgrade 馃槱

Cheers everyone.

Registered
Yes I had this, for 18 months. Turned out to be the loom. Continuity test did not help as I had a 100 % check, but it only takes a few ohms to take out a coil or injector signal

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Johnny, I think I read your thread but never saw the conclusion. So after changing everything did you just replace the whole loom?

Registered
you need a immo disabled or virgin ecu for it to run in your bike. it's the first thing i would check, as it's the most obvious and if you don't then you're just wasting time imo. it might not be the issue, but that's step by step fault finding.

a logged fault may be inside the ecu if it is downstream of where the ecu considers itself to end. depends, but ime coils faults are just attention seeking, or indicative of dead ecu.

it would be unusual to lose both spark and injector on a given cylinder, as that's two distinct ecu outputs, but a common power supply with both the other cylinder and fuel pump.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
you need a immo disabled or virgin ecu for it to run in your bike. it's the first thing i would check, as it's the most obvious and if you don't then you're just wasting time imo. it might not be the issue, but that's step by step fault finding.

a logged fault may be inside the ecu if it is downstream of where the ecu considers itself to end. depends, but ime coils faults are just attention seeking, or indicative of dead ecu.

it would be unusual to lose both spark and injector on a given cylinder, as that's two distinct ecu outputs, but a common power supply with both the other cylinder and fuel pump.
Would a non abs ECU still fire up the bike regardless of the immobilizer? A may be able to borrow a reflashed one that has not been red keyed yet but from a 2002 non ABS. Seems the next step.

Registered
From what i can make out I had no fuel but it was tough to say. I did so much it was difficult to keep track. I gave up an threw it at the dealer who connected the diagnostic unit and the loom started to smoke. There were also som issues around the multiwire earth connection. Afterward she starts and runs fairly well.

Registered
Hi All,
Not posting here much nowadays. So you have read the thread title....bugger! Had only ridden about 5kms and it was like someone flicked a switch. Down to one cylinder and stayed that way until I returned home. No misfiring or occasional firing just immediately dead on horizontal cylinder. Bike temp was only 70C.
I had a mechanic mate hook his diagnostics up to the bike. Bike showed a "Coil 1 attention" error. Cool, maybe not the ECU. It is an 03 so My thinking was that the 02 and previous bikes were affected by the ECU fail.

Ok easy I thought, just swap the coils to prove faulty coil. The problem stayed with the horizontal cylinder. Pulled spark plug after running the bike on one and the plug was not wet so no fuel and no spark?? I did swap plugs to prove the plug was ok. Its only 400kms old.

I have some questions.
Can you fit a reflashed ECU from an 02 bike to check or will the immobilizer prevent the bike from starting? Will it work only if the ecu was "virginised?
How do you identify pin 38 on the ECU to check continuity to coil?
What would cause both fuel and spark to fail on one cylinder?
electrons from one terminal to another
Would the error code mean that there is an open circuit in the coil wiring or even internal of the ECU?

Its a bit of a bugger as the ECU has a Rexxer map reflash. I have just repaired an oil leak from the left hand engine cover now this.It might be time to upgrade 馃槱

Cheers everyone.
Open up the LARGE connector on the left side of the bike, near/below the fuse box and see if the terminals have turned green with corrosion. The connector housing warps over time and will let moisture in to start electrolysis do its dirty deed of spreading electrons from one connector to another wreaking havoc with the ECU. You don't have to ask me how I know this!
After a complete cleaning of all the male and female connectors all was still not well. I had to buy a rebuilt re-flashed "virgin" ECU. The bike now runs better then new!!
From my feeble research the dropping of one cylinder is one of the first signs of imminent ECU death. Mine would drop a cylinder whenever it felt like it with no rhyme or reason sometimes twice a day sometimes once in two months. Very hard to diagnose until it quite running altogether.
Best of luck.
All it takes to own a Ducati is time and money!
Ride On(a Ducati if your lucky)
Dave

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Open up the LARGE connector on the left side of the bike, near/below the fuse box and see if the terminals have turned green with corrosion. The connector housing warps over time and will let moisture in to start electrolysis do its dirty deed of spreading electrons from one connector to another wreaking havoc with the ECU. You don't have to ask me how I know this!
After a complete cleaning of all the male and female connectors all was still not well. I had to buy a rebuilt re-flashed "virgin" ECU. The bike now runs better then new!!
From my feeble research the dropping of one cylinder is one of the first signs of imminent ECU death. Mine would drop a cylinder whenever it felt like it with no rhyme or reason sometimes twice a day sometimes once in two months. Very hard to diagnose until it quite running altogether.
Best of luck.
All it takes to own a Ducati is time and money!
Ride On(a Ducati if your lucky)
Dave
Thanks Dave, Hardly been ridden in rain and always garaged. Will check out the connector. Strange that it had no prior symptoms just suddenly like a switch. Either way if the connector is a problem sounds like the ECU will be as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
abs/non abs is to do with the speedo drive factor in terms of ecu. reflashed does not neccesarily mean virgin.
Your saying there is nothing in the ECU that controls the ABS unit so a non ABS unit is the same as the ABS unit? Or are you saying the ABS not present in ECU will not prevent the bike running?

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
From my feeble research the dropping of one cylinder is one of the first signs of imminent ECU death.
Ok as expected on opening the plug it still looks brand new inside like the day it was made. Not quite as expected really.....

Registered
Your saying there is nothing in the ECU that controls the ABS unit so a non ABS unit is the same as the ABS unit? Or are you saying the ABS not present in ECU will not prevent the bike running?
the ecu drives the spedo, and the speedo ratio in the ecu file differs markedly from abs to non abs (# of triggers per wheel rotation), so you need an abs ecu to have the correct speedo reading. but not for any other reason in terms of running.

Registered
I found that the "important" wiring for the ECU does not use that large connector. They're pretty much directly wired to the ECU (with a minor connector on each input: TPS, CPS, Baro, Air temp, H2O temp.

Not sure about the coils, and where that wiring runs. I imagine it's direct from the relay under the seat, (this relay makes the coils +12V, the injectors, and also the fuel pump +12V and then the ECU provides Gnd. to make the magic happen at the injectors and coils).

Note that my 2003 ST4s was able to fire up using a 5AM ECU from a hypermotard. And it had the hypermotard map in it! I was a bit surprised that it fired to life so quickly (actually better than the DP map that's in it now!). But I just ran it for 1 min. in the garage, until I obtained a ST4s DP map...

Registered
His 2003 has a mechanical speedo. The ABS feature just reads the encoder wheels and calculates the magic for the ABS pump. 2004 on-up has the electronic speedo...

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Note that my 20004 ST4s was able to fire up using a 5AM ECU from a hypermotard. And it had the hypermotard map in it! I was a bit surprised that it fired to life so quickly (actually better than the DP map that's in it now!). But I just ran it for 1 min. in the garage, until I obtained a ST4s DP map...
Thanks Stick. Looks like I have a 1098 5AM being delivered to me tomorrow that was running a 03 St4s ABS bike being parted out. So if it runs I am good to go. Unknown what map has been flashed into it but I guess whatever it is the fuel trims will be off so will need to go through CO tune up again as they will differ bike to bike.

Registered
You're welcome. Not sure how I missed the mistake, but I should have typed "my 2003 ST4s was able to fire up using a 5AM ECU..."

And with this new format, I have not been able to go back into my posts to edit them...

Does anybody know how to edit their original post?

OOOOH I found it! and I just edited that post AND this one!

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Installed the ECU from the 1098. Must have been reflashed with the immobiliser still active. Bike will turn on and all funtions working including fuel pump but will not turn over. "Code"LED stays solid on tach. Bugger!

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Solved! With parts installed including the ECU, IMMO and ignition, the bike runs but needs side stand up and clutch disengaged. Now to find the threads about bypassing the side stand.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts