Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys start your bikes do you have your clutch lever in or you don't touch the clutch lever at all.(when in neutral) I always do, I want to know if it makes a different. Is it bad or not?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Normally I just roll the bike out of the garage and start her but, the other day I was showing off the bike to a co-worker, specifically the starter. I was standing next to the bike, put key in, noticed neutral light on, pressed the starter and the bike started lurching forward. I grabbed the bars both hands and the clutch and, almost dropped her! Damn false neutral! So now I give her a slight roll just to make sure were in neutral.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I habitually hold the clutch in, start her up, and then grab the front brake before releasing the clutch as a safety measure.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I usually hold the cluth just to avoid the lurcking problem mentioned above

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I wasn't specific enough, If the bike is in neutral and you move it and checked that it is. Does it matter if you started with the clutch engaged or not. I see some people don't use the clutch at all to start there bikes. I always used the clutch. Does it really make a difference if you do or not?

·
Registered
862 Posts
If it rolls you are good, but things happen. Always treat you Hyper like a firearm and never point it at anything you don't want to destroy. Even in rolling neutral I use the clutch just in case and slowly release it as a precaution.

I like calling it the maybe light.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
BTW- It's not a stupid question. The topic has been discussed at length here before.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
thanks finally somebody got it
How would it matter? The risk is false neutral or the possibility of it "rattling" into gear.I have started the bike while not sitting on it with clutch out, but it never fails to make me nervous.(especially with the auto-crank function)!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Touchy?

Sounds like Hypers are all are unique depending on how serviced, ridden, set-up, etc.......having said that, I feel relaxed starting in green, off the bike and also search for the green/clutch-out, at red lights, but only after the slipper has done all it can.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Always clutch in and let it out slowly to feel it bite if the neutral light is lying.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Maybe I wasn't specific enough, If the bike is in neutral and you move it and checked that it is. Does it matter if you started with the clutch engaged or not. I see some people don't use the clutch at all to start there bikes. I always used the clutch. Does it really make a difference if you do or not?
To the bike? No.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts