Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
title says it all...:surprise:

Could it also be due to spark plugs that need replacing?

Kinda worried since that seems a lot of oil consumption....

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Oil consumption is not related to the spark plugs. You are either leaking it or burning it. If you are leaking that much, it should be fairly easy to spot oil on the engine case (and everything behind it). Wash it all off. Ride it a little bit and then it should be easier to track down the location of the leak. If you aren't seeing any leaks, pull the spark plugs. They will be oil fouled if you are burning oil. This will indicate either failed valve guides or piston rings.

Reactions: E-riko

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Could you add a little more info. Title is scant info. Year and Model. Miles/K's on bike. Are you the original owner or do you have maintenance history? Oil brand and weight being used? I am making an assumption that the 1.7L loss is after an oil change. Does your usage include prolonged high RPM's?

Is the crankcase ventilation stock? If no leaks are visible, make sure the crankcase ventilation is not plugged up, even if it is a new bike. Critters can get in there.

Is there any smoke from the exhaust? Oil consumption makes white smoke and smells oily.

Typically, you could be told that is within spec. However, a properly broken in and maintained motor may use none. My 15K miles Monster summer bike has used none in the 6K since I bought it used and it's 17 years old. No track days.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you add a little more info. Title is scant info. Year and Model. Miles/K's on bike. Are you the original owner or do you have maintenance history? Oil brand and weight being used? I am making an assumption that the 1.7L loss is after an oil change. Does your usage include prolonged high RPM's?

Is the crankcase ventilation stock? If no leaks are visible, make sure the crankcase ventilation is not plugged up, even if it is a new bike. Critters can get in there.

Is there any smoke from the exhaust? Oil consumption makes white smoke and smells oily.

Typically, you could be told that is within spec. However, a properly broken in and maintained motor may use none. My 15K miles Monster summer bike has used none in the 6K since I bought it used and it's 17 years old. No track days.
its a 2015 bike.

had only 10.000km on the clock, but was a Demo motorcycle....I have no recorded maintenance history...but being from an official Ducati Dealer I assume they have done the (limited) maintenance required during the time they had it as a demo...

When I bought it, the timer oil notification was on, not because it was beyond the distance, but because it was more than 1 year old.

My riding style is most of the time highways. Never thought about it, but I'd say about 70-80%
And when I do highways, I really ride hard, illegal high speeds...

No smoke or smell...

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
I burned more oil this change than in the past (I usually go through about 400ml per 4500mi). This time I ran through double that (about 1L per 4500mi). I was talking with the shop doing my service and they said there was oil on the skidplate and that the filter was leaking just a bit (assume it didn't seal perfectly). I never noticed the leak, no oil on the garage floor, no oil visible without removing the skidplate. The bike was into a couple shops for various small things and none of them noticed either.

I've read that if you really are going balls out that the bikes will use more oil. Not sure WHY that would be but might be worth experimenting for a while (if you can resist the go button) to see if consumption drops.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a 2015 with 37000 miles / 60000 km on the bike and I had mentioned the increase of oil usage when I brought it in for my Desmo service.

After my Desmo service, Ducati had the shop empty and weigh the oil. Then I was to ride 600 miles/1000 km then they would weigh the oil again.

After 622 miles I lost .5kg of oil.

This is the Shell Ultra 15w-50 Ducati recommended oil. That's at a price tag of $17 per liter bottle

.5kg is about 600 ml of oil.

Oh, that's normal and within spec.

So if I was to follow the recommended oil change interval of 9000 miles between oil changes

I'll get to dump 9 liters or another $153 +tax of oil into the bike before it needs another oil change. At that rate I should just swap out the filter I've already have gone through 2 oil changes of oil by volume.

I just broke this usage down. I believe I'll need to get a hold of the rep. That's ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
For comparison, my 2010 burns about 100ml per 1500km and has done for a couple of years. It's got about 110,000km on the clock.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got answer from the 3 dealers I mailed, basically they said its not abnormal my oil consumption, its even expected from the DVT

I am gonna see if riding differently (more cruising style) will affect oil consumption...will keep this updated

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
my 900SS used to burn a LITER every 100 miles :) that was "problem" anything under a liter per thousand miles is not considered a problem.

You should be changing your oil more often than 5600 miles, I do my oil changes every 3000 or less, usually loose less than a liter, which would be about 2L in 6000 miles or maybe 1.7L in 5600... if I wanted to ruin my motor by not changing oil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts