Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Administrator
5,811 Posts
Gee, I own a Ducati and I find I am hated on the Ducati forum.

LOL!

Seriously, I hear the same old stuff too.
I just drown out the noise with my Termis.......

Now about oil and watermelons....

·
Registered
332 Posts
What i think is funny is that in my neck of the woods the ongoing joke is that people on ducatis are slow. I love blowing by them on the I4's at the track! Kinda makes me feel good when I pass a r1 or r6, etc.

·
Registered
246 Posts
GTV said:
There are stereotypes attached to pretty much each brand. Be yourself, do what you want, and suffer fools amicably.
+1 on be yourself. Anytime someone brings this kind of stuff up in my face, my best reply is always: "OK, well, let's just go for a ride!" Usually shuts'em up. If they actually take me up on the ride, they get a spankin'. Every once in a great while, I find a faster rabbit to chase!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not sure if this is a hate thing, but on the local squids forum the general feeling is that Ducati riders are too snobbish to wave at other riders.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
H/D vs. Everybody

Kinda sorta off-thread, but I find it interesting that most non-H/D riders know much more about H/D's than H/D riders know about other brands/types of motorbikes.
Yet, H/D riders often are the most vocal critics of "other" motorbikes.

I'm not posting this because I dislike H/D's, heck, I like all motorbikes (well, the image of that new Victory Barcalounger tourer just crossed my mind, and I have to retract that....) OK, I like almost all motorbikes, and I think H/D's are a great "niche" motorbike. I respect what they can do well, and understand what they don't do well.

I just don't think a lot of folks really care enough about motorbikes in general to really become educated about them.

JMHO....
guido in Houston

·
Registered
926 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised to hear how many negative comments/attitudes people have gotten from non-Ducati owners. Frankly, I don't get it...I mean, yeah, I don't like the stereotypical Gixxer rider but I still wave to them and, heck, they're still riding something with two wheels.

So far, I haven't encountered any Duc-hatin'...at least, not to my face! ;)

Oh, and I second the gratifying feeling of passing an R1 on the track. :D

·
Registered
944 Posts
The fact that this thread was started and has received so many replies so quickly shows that many Ducati riders are worried more about image than anything else. Get a life and show yourself what a great rider you are, and NOT ON THE STREET!!!!! That is so brilliant that challenging some jackass to a ride off in the local canyon or expressway makes you king shit Ducati, give me a break. We are doing great right now in MotoGP (that's right "we", I grew Casey Stoner in a test tube to win the GP title :)), but I doubt that is the reason people bitch about you riding a Ducati. It is probably a combination of a lot of things that maybe started with there mommy not kissing them enough, and ended up with some stuff shirt on a Ducati being snobby. I know my friends in CMRA give me a hard time for riding a Ducati, but it is in jeast because they like me and respect my abilities as a rider. Ride well, be respectful, and be nice, and I am sure you will get the same result.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The majority of comments I've gotten on my bike have been really positive. If it's parked, a lot of times they'll ask me to start it up so they can hear it. :) The worst I've gotten were pretty much just ambivalent. :mad: Can't remember ever hearing anything negative. Closest I guess was my Grandmother - "why didn't you buy a red one". It is a red one. I have a lot of friends and coworkers who ride, only one of them rides a Duc. The rest cover the spectrum, including HD's. They're all cool. It's the 2 wheels that matter most. (I've been waved to by lots of HD riders. I try to wave first, but I always wave back.)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just remember back than H.D. owned Aermacchi which became Cagiva which owned Ducati, it's a small world. I also think those title winning bikes were made by that little old bike maker bimota. HDB1, HDB2, and a 500cc twin cyclinder two stroke with four carbs the HDB3.

·
If you ain't first, you're last!
834 Posts
people fear what they dont understand and ducatis are complex as they are the best i get like 50%good comments and 50%bad i dont care i love mi duc and theirs nothing or any other bike that can change that and that 50% of the bad comments is because they whant a ducati je je

or it can be because ducati is cheating on moto gp yes yes i said cheating
is not fare that stoner is riding a ducati is much better that the other bikes je je je

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Haven't met any haters.

I did meet one harley guy who overheard me talking to a woman about bikes since she was looking for another bike & really liked the look of the ducatis. (goes without saying) among bikes i mentioned were the new 695, SV650, triumph bonnieville/thruxton.

harley guy pipes in, "you don't want one of them ducatis. they got them demonomic valves." the woman rolled her eyes.

I've met people wanting to know a little more, and a few that have only halfway heard something wrong, but believed it, and people who've never seen one in person that hoped I wouldn't mind if they gawked for a minute.

I just keep it humble when the "rich guy" comments pop up by telling them, "you'd be suprised. i found the bike i'd been in love with for around the same price as a yamaha or honda 600 sportbike."

·
Registered
62 Posts
littlebeast said:
Closest I guess was my Grandmother - "why didn't you buy a red one". It is a red one.
:D

I have only had two bikes, and they were both Ducs.
I like the way they sound...and their styling. Also like the fact that you don't see them as often as the japanese sport bikes.

The most common negativity i get is "...those require too much maintenance".

·
Registered
923 Posts
DBD34GS said:
Anytime someone brings this kind of stuff up in my face, my best reply is always: "OK, well, let's just go for a ride!"
I usually like to point out two things, before I offer a ride-along: miles on the odo and chicken strips (or lack thereof). If they don't shut up after comparing tires, most of them become my new buddy after looking at my clock.

There's a great biker bar near me that I frequent, which is usually rife with HDs and custom barhoppers. I get the usual snubbing and snobbery when I turn up, on either Ducati - but whatever. I did have one turkey on a Screamin' Eagle Road King put money down to go for a ride. We compared tires, and I showed him the clock, but he was adamant. So we hit the 1/4 a couple times, and then decided to do a little follow-along. He never even showed me a wheel in the 1/4s and after he followed me out one way, decided there was really no point in me following him back. Case closed. :)

Put up or shut up, people. All there is to it. :)

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
fasterdammit said:
I usually like to point out two things, before I offer a ride-along: miles on the odo and chicken strips (or lack thereof). If they don't shut up after comparing tires, most of them become my new buddy after looking at my clock.
Yep, that works for me too. I have 70,600 miles on my ST4s odo now. Most people look at the odo, then the bike and can't figure out how I've put so many miles on a 'sports' bike. :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
unicron said:
The most common negativity i get is "...those require too much maintenance".
That's one I get all the time, and from BMW K1200LT owners! It takes 3 hours to R&R the bodywork on an LT.

·
Registered
778 Posts
bevel450 said:
We ? We ? Anybody here a Ducati Corse employee ? Nope, didn't think so.
May I humbly suggest that it is "they" who are doing the winning ?

Any claim to "we" should be supported by a Ducati payroll stub, or a picture of a major ink portrait of Claudio Dominicali or Carl Fogarty on the claimant's rump for judgement by an assembled committee.
I help pay Capirossi's and Stoner's salary. :D

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yeah, the one thing that I've noticed is all Ducatista that I've met have been very nice and friendly people. In fact, people have been so nice that it pleasantly surprised me. :)

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Ducati hating as a pastime is rife in Australia as well! Sad isn't it. It doesn't matter if I am stopped at the lights, or stopped at a country motel, riders of Japanese bikes ignore us. I see mention on other forums of how many Honda's, Suzuki's, Yamaha's etc, could be bought for the price of 1 Ducati and how those Japanese bikes would go faster, be better, all for less money - these people just don't get it. Sad for them - don't know what they are missing.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts