Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally. After at least 15 years of lusting, a false start, and a month of searching (externally and internally).

I really love my VFR. Some here believe it to be a souless bike. I disagree, I think it has a very refined soul. Before I bought it I road tested an ST4, but got scared off by the required maintenance. Seven years later the Ducati itch is finally getting scratched.

I scored a nice '07 ST3s-ABS with bags (never mounted), 5600 miles, stock but for a ZG tinted tall screen. It has a few little dings and a tip over boo-boo, to be expected I guess, but I'm sure she'll clean up just fine.

Now begins the dialing in, suspension settings, ride height etc. And then there's that gawd aweful surge! :eek:

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Closed loop fueling. Surging due to lean idle settings, and then enriching as the RPMs come up. The Fat Duc is what I believe is needed.

·
7,733 Posts
Congrats on the new ST3"s". You're going to love it. Lets us know about your VFR's "soul" after you dialled your Ducati in. ;) Some closed loop models have been tricky to dial in, but can be done. Check out the O2 Manipulator at Desmo Times to see if it fits the '07 ST3 ecu, and so some research in this forum re dp kits. You may find you'll be kicking yourself in the butt for waiting so long to cross over to Ducati. I did. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
The surge is gone...

I put the Fat Duc and a 14 tooth front sprocket on my 07 ST3 and the surge is gone. The bike just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter the more miles I put on her. She is my daily driver so I get the joy of riding nearly every day.

I think you will really enjoy the soul of your Ducati.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sorry I must have missed something.
What surge?
It's another "undocumented feature" of the '06 & '07 ST3. :D

It used to be fixable by merely handing your dealer $1200 to $1800 in cash, for which he would install a "performance" (i.e., REPLACEMENT) ECU which allows the fuel injection to work the way it should have when it left the factory.

I understand that now there is an $80 item that effectively does what needs to be done (is that the "Fat Duc"?).

In addition, the ST3 comes geared WAY too tall, so dropping a tooth on the front sprocket will help low-speed (starting, cornering, 2-up) handling.

Finally (well, on this topic), swapping out the throttle cable cam on the handgrip (easy peezy) with one from G2 Ergonomics (www.g2ergo.com) will work wonders with the "all or nothing" throttle experience. See other threads on this board for more about this.

Best wishes.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts

I understand that now there is an $80 item that effectively does what needs to be done (is that the "Fat Duc"?).

In addition, the ST3 comes geared WAY too tall, so dropping a tooth on the front sprocket will help low-speed (starting, cornering, 2-up) handling.
The Fat Duc:

Review:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/fat-duc-o2-sensor-manipulator/

Ordering:

http://www.fatduc.com/

@ 14-tooth front. Bill Anderson and others have echoed that the 14T front sprocket, on the ST specifically, has a decreased radius that can cause the chainguard to be chewed up, sometimes to the detriment of the swingarm. Most concur that increasing the rear to 42 or above is a better option. This necessitates lengthening the chain by two links.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
The sprockets of the 07 ST3 should be 15f & 42 rear standard, which is fine (well mine is)...

I have the DP chip and Staintunes and K&N filter - measured 106.5 HP at the wheel...

Don't know about the FatDuc tho'...not tried them...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congratulations on the recent acquisition.

I just picked up an 06 ST3s having ridden the last 12 years on a 97 VFR. I agree that the VFR is not souless and is able to manage all types of riding without complaint. The ST3 though simply has a whole lot more soul, and wants to go fast out on the open road.

My ST3 has a 14 tooth front sprocket, and while I don't get a "surge", I find the Duc not well behaved at low speeds. To a point where I sometimes hold the clutch when approaching slow corners in the city.

Enjoy your ST3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts