Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Piss ya'll off as there are so many "I got a problem" threads here. BUT, I saw heaven and flew on the wings of angels today. Mighta spotted Jebus once in a corner, not sure, he had his thumb up while I went by. You see, its the first real ride on the new to me 996 today. I went for a 100 mile sprint round local area and am so glad I finally made the jump to Ducati. No knees down but then again I was on the street. I did strafe quite a few on/off ramps at a decent clip. We have mostly flat straight roads here in Indiana but I made the most of what I got. Yes, on then off and back again a few times. I musta looked insane going round and round. Ran her up to a leisurely 135 and it felt great. Smiling from ear to ear.....................

My hope here is to spread the joy and get ya'll fired up to get the repairs done and go ride. Thanks for listening, be safe.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
We have mostly flat straight roads here in Indiana but I made the most of what I got.
You are correct about that! I used to live in Cedar Lake. Not much up there in the way of curves. You need to find some roads that follow rivers. There appear to be some pretty decent ones in southern IN that follow the lines of the Ohio River.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, I can still recall my very first ride on a Ducati like it was just yesterday. But it was in 1976 on a yellow '73 750 Sport that i just brought for $600 + an old TY250 Yamaha. Took off and around the first corner, changing up through the gears could'nt believe how much power it had and how well it handled, something that i will never forget........Guess what?,,,,,,I've still got it!

·
Idiot Savant
1,187 Posts
I remember the first "real" ride I had on MY 996. It took a week to get the grin off of my face. :D
I wouldn't be surprised if I made Vroom-Vroom noises in my sleep for a while.

It was ALMOST as exciting as my OTHER first "ride". (almost)

Thanks for making me smile.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Track day is already planned for Mid-Ohio SCC. I cannot wait! I've been there on a Buell and a TL Suzuki. Not sure if Nelson Ledges is still operating. Just started the diet to lose those winter pounds so I can look svelt in leathers...................(well, as svelt as a 250lb ape can look)

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Check out Hoosier Hooligans too (DOC). Good group of guys and they should be able to point you toward some better roads. My family has a summer home in the Dunes, so yesterday I took the 996R on a ride over there an on to New Buffalo, Michigan before returning to Chicago.

·
Old Fast Guy
486 Posts
My face hurts after every ride..., from grinning the whole time!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I love success stories. I picked up my 998 and within a mile I marveled at the grunt it has. 5 miles later I whacked it to 140 and just giggled myself all the way home while thinking oh shit, what did this old man buy. My license will be toastarola.

11 years later I still get the grins when leaned into a corner and wheb coming out just past the apex, do a 2nd gear whack wheelie and straighten it out as it comes up then set it down near the limiter with a front tire squeak then hit 3rd. Yeah,, that's what these dago things is about!

·
Old Fast Guy
486 Posts
....years later I still get the grins when leaned into a corner and wheb coming out just past the apex, do a 2nd gear whack wheelie and straighten it out as it comes up then set it down near the limiter with a front tire squeak then hit 3rd. Yeah,, that's what these dago things is about!
Well said Slower!

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you nine16, will do. Looking forward to many a ride as this bike really speaks to my soul. Shoulda bought one much sooner. After having quite a few inlines and then a few twins, I know now that this is the one.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
and if you're coming over this far, you might want to check out Beaverun. Don't know when they changed the naming but here they are:

Pittsburgh International Race Complex

Edit: found it; changed this year. New owners are from Alliance, Ohio (my hometown) of all places.

Edit of the edit: and the owners of Coastal Pet.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and if you're coming over this far, you might want to check out Beaverun. Don't know when they changed the naming but here they are:

Edit: found it; changed this year. New owners are from Alliance, Ohio (my hometown) of all places.

Thank you sir. I used to live In Steubenville, Ohio 2 years ago. I had heard awhile back that they were to close Nelson, good to see they stayed afloat.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts

Because . . . . Beaver. Probably got tired of hearing the same complement: nice beaver.

I'm originally from PA, near Beaverdale. Too funny. Yeah, I know, childish. =-)

OT, kind of:
What a freakin' laugh. Not sure why the video is mirrored, but. . .

Have a good one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hate to say it but the good Indiana roads are down south....if you manage to get it to indianapolis you would be about 50 miles north of brown county....those are the best roads in Indiana...SR 135 south of Nashville Indiana and SR 46 between Bloomington and Bean Blossom are awesome stretches of roads.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Because . . . . Beaver. Probably got tired of hearing the same complement: nice beaver.

I'm originally from PA, near Beaverdale. Too funny. Yeah, I know, childish. =-)

Have a good one.
Could be but don't buy it. Trust me, I know of the funny looks and replies you can get. My parents grew up in Zelienople and Harmony but it was just easier to say Beaver Falls as it was the only nearby that an Ohioan (where I am from) might recognize. My family has life long friends in Beaver Falls, one sister in law lives in Beaver borough, almost every one of my aunts uncles cousins and other in laws live in or next to Beaver county.

Really kind of a dumb name, the current one. It's not really near Pittsburgh and is just a lame generic name, imo. Whatever, it is a nice facility with potential for even better things. Like the second track.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Ha! Too good. Eastern PA has richness in names (Blue Balls, Intercourse, Mars, etc.). Good ole farmers. =)

They did the same thing around here. Seattle International Raceway (SIR) that had a lot of history with cars and motorcycles changed to Pacific Raceways I believe also because of new management. Sometimes you have to wonder.

Although, with the opening of another competing track, PR is investing on some much needed improvements. If they increase the runoff areas a bit, I might even have to give it a run.

Have a good one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts