Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this has been covered many times on this fourm, and I'm most likely I'm beating a dead horse
ok dont get me wrong, I love my bike and understand that these things are a bit more rare then other bikes and really dont see myself selling my anytime soon, then the whole SC "bubble" etc.

Why is this SC 1000 hitting almost 17000 on ebay
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUCATI-SPORT-CLASSIC-/130724523824?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item1e6fc9ef30),

I'm wicked happy for the seller and wish both him and the future owner all the best... but [email protected], am i missing something? its not the PS, SE, or ever an 1000S...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Perceived value. Anything is worth what a buyer is willing to pay. The free market is a beautiful thing...

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Ha! The sale still has to close to be legit. I wouldn't be surprised if it falls through.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hell, so do I... Free market and perceived value IS a great thing…

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
It's the bike from Tron and there are a lot of tech nerds with high salaries these days. That's my best guess. But considering that most of the bids have been by bidders with 1 or 0 feedback, I'm guessing there's some faking going on here. Would love to find a way to know if this sale really goes through.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Absolutely Amazing!!

I am in total shock. There was another posting yesterday that had this Ebay listing and I said that it would never sell for $15K. I guess I may be proven wrong. Let's see if this sale actually closes.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
^This..
What's the difference between perceived value and "real" value?
The 1972 Ducati 750ss started off the same way.:cool:
As I understand it, the 70s and 80s bevel Ducs spent the 90s being though of by many as unreliable, shoddy electrics, and :eek: ugly. As a result, you could pick one up for a song...

This bike is certainly pushing the envelope of just what these are worth, but I truly do think bipostos are quite rare, only as a result of prior low interest and therefore low production numbers

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought the bike to ride and have enjoyed the hell out of it. They do speak to me (the SC) like no other modern bike, in fact I was not that big of a fan of Ducati’s until I saw my first SC in early 2007 on a chance visit to the local duc dealer with a friend, and they (duc's in general) have been growing on me since, more of an addiction now:D. Don’t get me wrong I’m wicked excited that I was able to get one, but as these things climb in value...true or perceived...part of me almost thinks that I’m doing something wrong riding mine, as I don’t quite fit the profile to "collect vehicles"… just been lucky i guess... or that I'm going to piss my pants if someone looks at it funny. (sure as hell not going to stop riding it). It’s not like TRON was the box office slayer in 2010, how many people actually wanted a SC because of that movie, is this turning into the 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California from Ferris Bueller, the 1950 Mercury from Codra (best part of that movie), or why every baby boomer, Gen X'er hippy, hipster, doctor, lawyer, etc I meet rides Harley’s after watching Easyrider?

why there was not a push by the public to jump all over these things from 2006 to 2009 (2010 for the GT). What is it about this Black SC? I’ve seen others on ebay that have tasteful mods in similar condition stay under 12K? The last PS was hovering around 18K when sold right? Regardless didn’t mean to start a rant or polarize people, It’s a wicked cool feeling we can have to know that we are riding what can almost be seen as a modren classic/collectable.

At the end of the day it’s much more bad ass to tell you grand kids that you thrashed your PS SC 1000 (s) in turn 7 of “X” track. Then to have it hermetically sealed in some plastic box in your house at age 65.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pricing on motorcycles, scooters, atv's, etc...always spike up during the summer months.

The SC line is cool, but anyone who thinks the SC is "collectable" has been misinformed. Ducati built too many units for an SC to be considered collectable.

·
comrade moderator
26,761 Posts
^This..
What's the difference between perceived value and "real" value?
The 1972 Ducati 750ss started off the same way.:cool:
Do you really think you're sitting on the modern day equivalent of the 750SS?
Wait til the rest of those tanks expand and Ducati finishes flipping everybody the bird. Don't buy now...that's all.
One out-of-control ebay auction does not a market make.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
awesome....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do you really think you're sitting on the modern day equivalent of the 750SS?
Wait til the rest of those tanks expand and Ducati finishes flipping everybody the bird. Don't buy now...that's all.
One out-of-control ebay auction does not a market make.
"Do you really think you're sitting on the modern day equivalent of the 750SS?"

We'll have to wait 25 years or so to find out. But I don't see why not.

"Wait til the rest of those tanks expand and Ducati finishes flipping everybody the bird."

I have a brand new tank sitting on a shelf for just such an occasion. But you're right about Ducati flipping us the bird.
The reason I didn't buy my bike new was because of the tank issue. I'm guessing that's one of the reasons they didn't sell that great and thus were discontinued.

"One out-of-control ebay auction does not a market make."

You're right, One auction doesn't set the market. But I haven't seen many SC's go for under 12K on eBay that were in decent shape. The black bi-posto is a rare beast (very few for sale anyway).

In any case, doesn't really matter if you already have one and don't intend to sell. My SC has been one of my favorite bikes and I don't have any intention of getting rid of it.
Like London Dutch says, just sucks if you are just now looking for one.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
my guess it is his buddies bidding up the price to get one stray bidder...wait, that would never happen on fleabay...i'll take the over under that the sale "falls" through.. most every sale i have seen has been in the 10-12 range

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm calling BS.

I hope I'm wrong. I love seeing the SCs climb in value, real or perceived. (Is there a difference:confused:). But 17K seems way too high for a non PS, LE, or MH. I'm betting some ghost bidders are artificially inflating the auction.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
At present there are two more SC Bipostos for sale on EBay. One is a black one (with alot of mods) holding at 10,100 and the other is a Yellow one (mostly stock) holding at 12,000. I agree the 17,000 one is probably artificially inflated.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 20 of 39 Posts