Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bike. This guy has my exact trailer and he tilts it to load his Aprilia RS250. I realize the 250 is probably 100 pounds or so lighter than my 916 and this guy may be taller than I am so therefore easier for him to load but...I wonder if he just hops on the back of the trailer when the bike is partially on there? Or if he is off to the side the whole time.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wrxtc...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey

Thats how I loaded my bike on a buddys tilt bed trailer. I thought it was going to be hard so I had my wife on one side and me on the other. I didn't even need her I walked it right on put it on the side stand and then locked the bed in with the pin. Then I put it in the tire chock and strapped it down. Real easy. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm curious, with this trailer that tilts, how would you keep the front from coming down too fast as the bike is being loaded? Or is the answer just move the bike slowly forward as trailer bed becomes level?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's my question. And how do you, by yourself, push the bike up the trailer enough. Sure you could start the bike and use the clutch a little. But that's just asking for trouble I bet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
that looks like an aprilia 250 hes loading on there... that doesnt weigh crap. I dont think I would try that with my bike.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Just take your time. You'll find the balance point and it will move down slowly. Be really careful, though. Keep your boot soles and the trailer bed absolutely clean of grease and oil. And don't do it yourself if there's any moisture at all in the air. With a tilt-bed trailer you're just asking for trouble if you do it alone when it's wet...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I dont have a trailer and will likely not deal with this ever in the near future, but we built a plywood decked handicapped ramp for my grandmother, I got this 4 inch wide sandpaper grip tape at home depot to put stripes on it. I would definitely reccomend that as ply wood can get real slick real easy when moist/wet. I spaced it out by the width of the tape, 4 inches, so even if you started to slip your foot could only slid at most a couple inches before catching grip again.

OH, and if your worried about lowering the trailer deck with the bike while trying to load, maybe cut a peice of 2x4 or something like that as a chock to keep it locked up while loading, then when your secure you could walk around, lift up slightly, pull the block and lower the deck? long as the bike's CG is reasonably close to the pivot point of the trailer it wont be much weight at all, which for what it looked like from the pics link you posted, looks pretty close.

Also if you put a block to lock it up while loading and you want to tempt using the clutch while started, this way you could be on the bike while loading. I dunno if thats what you had in mind already, but id be scared shitless to have a bike in gear on a ramp and play with the clutch while not on the bike and trying to step on a trailer. I imagine if you had the trailer bed locked up its be similar to parking on a steep hill, just ride it slowly up. Though still prolly want a couple people ready to help for first couple attempts.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Get a cheap ATV winch, mount it on the top end of the trailer (~$150.00), tow strap around the forks and you're in business.

Or if you're poor, rig up some pulleys :(

You'll be loading in style :)

2 people on a tilting platform with a 400lbs bike, that's scary.

Oh, you'll need a battery to run the winch, unless you can tap into the hitch wiring if your vehicle is equipped with one.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So basically it's what I thought. The guy in the pic was able to do it because he's loading a 300 pound bike and he's most likely a 6 foot tall giant. I hate tall people. Grrr.

I just saw that pic and was like "wow didn't think about that". I already have ramps being delivered this week. So I shouldn't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yep - we load my friends K1200GT w/ a cheap winch we got at Shuck's Auto for $50.00. Works like a charm!!

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
grendels_arm said:
That's my question. And how do you, by yourself, push the bike up the trailer enough. Sure you could start the bike and use the clutch a little. But that's just asking for trouble I bet.
Couldn't you just ride it up slowly with your feet down?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts