Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We had a gully washer today; rained pretty hard for a couple of hours and the bike was parked outside.

After work, the bike would turn over but failed to catch; put in neutral and the bike started but the oil pressure light was on then dimmed until it went out. Squeezed the clutch and put in gear but the clutch didn't release (stuck in first gear). I had to snick gears to upshift/downshift.

Finally after riding a few miles, the clutch began working (would disengage when squeezing the clutch) but the turn signals would not work. After cycling left/right a dozen times, the light started working.

Is anyone else dumb enough to leave their bike parked out in the rain? Is WD40 and handy tool to have around?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Finnicky buggahs

I had similar symptoms on my 748 once when I decided to wash it like it was a boat. I used the hose with no discrepancy and found out the hard way how susceptible the bikes are to electric problems with water. I never left the bike out in the rain, because I'm lucky enough to have a garage, but every time I washed the bike thereafter I removed the right side fairing, placed a plastic baggy over the square bunch of relays, and then replaced the fairing to finish the washing. From then on I never had any other problems with it!

If you just take off the fairings and let it dry out in some nice cool, dry weather for a day or so, the moisture should dry up and you'll be back to riding it good as new! It may even be fine as is.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I haven't had electrical issues with mine due to washing or rain but the open clutch is definitely an slight issue. You really should figure out where H2O is affecting the electrical system. Generally the high voltage ignition wires are most vulnerable because at 10,000 volts, water is an lesser resistance path back to the coil that the open gap of spark plug. Check wires carefully.

When you start a cold bike with a wet open clutch you just have to give it some time to heat dry. Obviously if your starting in neutral this is pretty easy.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
My 748 has sat in the rain for a couple of days during US Desmo rallies and I've ridden in thousands of miles of wet weather. I've never had any issues with the bike when it gets wet. About 6k miles ago I went through the wiring and put dielectric grease on many connectors to avoid any potential issues, but I didn't have any wet-weather issues prior to that.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My 748 has sat in the rain for a couple of days during US Desmo rallies and I've ridden in thousands of miles of wet weather. I've never had any issues with the bike when it gets wet. About 6k miles ago I went through the wiring and put dielectric grease on many connectors to avoid any potential issues, but I didn't have any wet-weather issues prior to that.
+1
My 748s have been fine in the wet aswell, never any trouble. Even with washing them without avoiding to spray water into the electronics, it started right up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm changing oil soon and will have both fairings off anyway. I'll hit the connectors with WD40, blow them out, then seal with dielectric grease.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 999 faired very well being left in the rain after I took it to work one night and forgot to check the weather forecast. It was a major downpour I might add.

To my surprise she fired right up and all electronics worked. Gawd, I hope my next Duc is as reliable as that 999 was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts