Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I splurged yesterday. :D

Traded in my '04 Multistrada 1000 DS with 21k miles for a used '09 Monster 1100 with only 5 miles. Yes, used. The previous owner bought it and displayed it, and then decided he didn't want it (crazy rich people...). So, I got it after initial depreciation settled in.

Anyways, she's completely bone stock. I don't plan on doing anything too drastic as far as performance is concerned (maybe a Power Commander in lieu of a Ducati ECU), but I do want to do some cosmetic mods, and I want her to "sound" better.

I've been lurking on the Multistrada sub-forum a lot, so if you have some simple advice for the Monster, I'll appreciate it. I'm gonna have to spend some time rummaging through the Monster sub-forum, but please share any major issues or tidbits of knowledge with me. Thanks!

So, here she is:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Congrats, that is the way to buy 'em! No issues, great bikes. Termi slip-ons work well, full system with ecu better.

A little carbon bling and you are good to go!

Mark Enjoy

·
Registered
120 Posts
That is a great find... it was a whole 9 miles less than my "Used Demo" 1100. :)

Pipes, Fender Eliminator, Remove reflectors on front forks, 14 tooth front sprocket, remove charcoal canister, touring seat, bar end mirrors.

No order...

I got rid of my reflectors, added the bar ends and touring seat from my 696.

Pipes and charcoal cansister are next, 14 tooth front at 600 mile service... this week (I did more than 250 miles on friday and saturday so I will be ready for my 600 mile service after 12-13 days of ownership - I'm sitting at 530 right now).

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,713 Posts
remove any visible frame emission decals/stickers. use a hairdryer, warm them for a few minutes, gently remove and either place them on a piece of cardboard or put them on the frame rails under the rear seat (remove it first).

removing the emission canister without removing the entire shroud doesn't make too much sense to me as it leaves a void. if you're going to remove the shroud, you're going to need to make a custom bracket to mount the rectifier and horn on the right side of the bike. i've seen a custom version of this mod in completed form, and while it shows more of the motor, it looks a bit unfinished. i'm still undecided as to which way i'll go.

a DP tail tidy is a must (already mentioned above), and i'd absolutely consider a set of adjustable rear sets (i went with Sato). i love the adjustability and grip of the pegs, and save a bunch of weight over the enormous oem hangers. i like the comfort seat over the stock one as it helps lessen some of the forward lean into the tank and looks great with the red stitching.

you won't believe the weight that can be reduced between all of these mods (termi full kit, rear sets, tail tidy).

i personally am contemplating going with marchesini forged aluminum wheels, next, and could easily be convinced into a set of carbon brake rotors. :D

enjoy your 1100, it's a great motorcycle.

iphone pics of the rear sets

·
Registered
334 Posts
I haven't done anything to my 1100 yet, and may not, except for I will probably remove / move frame stickers and maybe the front fork reflectors, and eventually the termi slip ons. Not that I don't like most of the mods I've seen, but for me right now, I'm very happy with the stock bike.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a great find... it was a whole 9 miles less than my "Used Demo" 1100. :)

Pipes, Fender Eliminator, Remove reflectors on front forks, 14 tooth front sprocket, remove charcoal canister, touring seat, bar end mirrors.

No order...

I got rid of my reflectors, added the bar ends and touring seat from my 696.

Pipes and charcoal cansister are next, 14 tooth front at 600 mile service... this week (I did more than 250 miles on friday and saturday so I will be ready for my 600 mile service after 12-13 days of ownership - I'm sitting at 530 right now).
All great ideas.

Just did the reflectors and decals earlier today.

Will do dry clutch cover and plate tomorrow (transferred from my old Duc).

Need to get fender eliminator next. End mirrors also quite easy. 14t sprocket by 600 miles = that's perfect!

Seat is actually fine for me. I just did 260 miles earlier today, with little ass fatigue. :D

I'm gonna powdercoat the exhaust cans when I go on vacation in a couple of months. That way, it'll look different without spending $1200 for the Termi cans.

·
Registered
230 Posts
what a score. and one thing, the power commander is not available for our bike, so you'll have to live with the low rpm surging, unless you get the Termi ECU, which reportedly helps with this.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Now that you have her, RIDE HER!!! Sweet find too.

New rear sets and an exhaust system of some sort is defiantly in order, as well as bar end mirrors, and tail chop too. The list is endless really.

Have fun out there!

·
Registered
120 Posts
All great ideas.

Just did the reflectors and decals earlier today.

Will do dry clutch cover and plate tomorrow (transferred from my old Duc).

Need to get fender eliminator next. End mirrors also quite easy. 14t sprocket by 600 miles = that's perfect!

Seat is actually fine for me. I just did 260 miles earlier today, with little ass fatigue. :D

I'm gonna powdercoat the exhaust cans when I go on vacation in a couple of months. That way, it'll look different without spending $1200 for the Termi cans.
Not butt fatigue... its the pressing-into-the-tank-and-smashing-man-bit fatigue reason for switching seats.

New clutch cover went on today - it came in the mail and was on in about 5 minutes. So much better.

I'm scheduled for my 600 on Thursday. Would have been tomorrow but their order of 14t sprockets doesn't come in until thursday.

You want to powder coat them or ceramic paint? ceramic keeps the temp way down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts