Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 696, and I ride with guys with r6's and cbr 600s and ninjas, In the city I keep up no problem but on the highway they kill me, What can I do to keep up when they pin the throttle? I'm open for drastic suggestions, Turbo maybe?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have an 09 696, and I ride with guys with r6's and cbr 600s and ninjas, In the city I keep up no problem but on the highway they kill me, What can I do to keep up when they pin the throttle? I'm open for drastic suggestions, Turbo maybe?
honestly, you have the wrong bike for keeping up... Those other bikes you mentioned are inline4's right? You have a 2cyl 696... you're just not going to keep up highway racing...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anything to at least narrow the gap a little? I love the looks and how easy it is to throw around, but I may have to trade it for something else, would changing the sprockets, maybe gearing it a little higher, get somemore top speed then putting full exhaust and power commander, air filter? Or do I need an 848, I don't need to beat them, just not get left in the dust

·
Registered
249 Posts
Anything to at least narrow the gap a little? I love the looks and how easy it is to throw around, but I may have to trade it for something else,
You definitely bought the wrong type of bike. Try staying in the twisties or buy a Busa. At least your bike looks and sounds better than your friends ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you are willing to go and buy a 848 or put a turbo in, why not the streetfighter? That will be faster than your friends. :) And you get to keep the same style of bike you like. But if you just want to keep up, an Monster 1100 should do the job.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The authorities lose their sense of humor when you start running triple digits in a 55 zone.

·
Registered
172 Posts
don't be a squid. ride your own pace and let them get the tickets.
Thank you... I was thinking the same thing.

Did you have the 696 before you met your buddies? Come on now friend. Don't be those guys we hear about on threads who crash trying to keep up with their buddies.

I could care less if my "buddies" pass me up on the freeway. Once in the canyons is a different story...

Be smart.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
if you care about keepin up with your friends, keep in mind that's a slippery slope.
What if they get faster bikes next. Are you going to go out a buy an even faster one?
your 696 is plenty fast to get you a free night in jail.
if you want a faster bike, get it because you want something fast.
there is always someone faster.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my old bike. A 2000 ZR-7. Without an aftermarket fairing, it would top out due to drag at 120mph. With the fairing, it would start to wobble at 120mph. Those were the first and last rides with those "buddies." Too much exposure, too dangerous. Just to be clear, this was a similar mixed group, ZX14s, 954RRs, Ducs, Speed Triples, BMWs, RSVs, etc.

Not long after, I found my ST and ride when I can with another group that I knew beforehand. We all ride The Pace. These rides are actually much more fun and enjoyable, IMHO.

I'd recommend saving the "keeping up," whether it be slab or canyon, for the track. When the tension builts, I is say "enjoy the ride" to myself. It relaxes me and allows me to take in some senery and listen to the bike.

BTW, hanging on to the bars of a naked at triple digits gets old no matter how much power you want to put to the rear wheel.

Have a good one.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
don't be a squid. ride your own pace and let them get the tickets.
+1000
Ride your own pace buddy. Keep yourself and your bike in one piece.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts

Guess what... the 1100 isn't going to hang with those guys on the highway either should they decide to break out.

Ride your own ride... have a blast in the twisty stuff.

Enjoy a fine scoot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anyone can go fast in a straight line. That's boring, 140mph is fun, but I'll take a dragging knee at 45mph over it any day. It's sound to me like you don't have that much experience and prob shouldn't be on a faster bike. Just looking out man, don't take offense. I assume your crew is a T-shirt and Timberlands crew so spend money on leathers first, full leathers. I mean don't get me wrong, I like blasting down the highway with the street crews out of Brooklyn but I do it in a safe manor.

You got the wrong bike if you want to go fast in a straight line. Try taking it out to some twisties, you'll have a lot more fun there. If you want to go fast in a straight line get an inline four, anyone will do.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Well you bought the smallest beginner Duc, so I assume your a beginner?
Almost none of the air-cooled Ducati's will keep up in a straight line w/ those Japanese 600's. You can out handle any of them with some skill but if all you want to do is grip it an rip it then you bought the wrong bike, why not just join them, cost's a lot less if you scrape it up?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, there are no twisties anywhere near where I live, and its not that they ride 230 Kms/hr all the time but when they hit it on the highway and a couple of the female riders fly by it's a little humbling.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm not trying to sound insulting at all, but to me it sounds like this is your first bike so I'm going to give you advice as such.

#1. Find new friends because you will die trying to keep up with them even if you bought a bigger bike.
#2. Don't buy a bigger bike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Humbling!?

Yeah, there are no twisties anywhere near where I live, and its not that they ride 230 Kms/hr all the time but when they hit it on the highway and a couple of the female riders fly by it's a little humbling.
You are on a motorcycle. Humility is your best friend. That ego is what could kill you or someone else. Anyone can pin a throttle and hold on. Real riders don't give a F*** about their bike's top speed.

The best riders have tires worn to both edges, not flattened to the bead in the center with mile-wide chicken strips. Leave that to the SQUIDS.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts