Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding an 09 multi around for a while and having a great time on it. Picked up a 99 996s a few weeks ago, and all I can say is HOLLY SH*T!!!, AND it's a good thing I already have kids because it just about roasts my nuts off in any kind of traffic. :D

I've been having a blast on it and have found that you have to conform to it rather than have it conform to you. I'm 6'4" and might look a little odd riding it, but when I just let go (loose arms, low elbows, grip it with your legs, and push through turns) and let the bike do what it does best, it's such a thrill.

I think everyone should own a superbike at some point because it really makes you a better rider in my opinion. I think I've learned more in a few weeks and few hundred miles on it than at any point in the past.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and make my first post here.

·
Registered
130 Posts
996 in san francisco sound nice. up and down tholse hills? pacific heights? i'd live to come over on mine and have a go

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes... hills are lovely particularly when you get stuck behind about 5 cars on a narrow street on a steep hill and a stop sign on top and are doing the back break, clutch/throttle, stop-and-go dance up the hill with your nuts on fire!!!

Gotta get this girl OUTSIDE the city to really have fun!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
You think that sbk is teaching you something now? Go do some track days!

That's just about the only way to even come close to the amount of fun/learning you can have - even on one of these old Tamburini dinosaurs...

Not that I'm dissing them, far from it, they're awesome fun, I love mine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Congrats! Def a fun bike to ride and work on.

I love the 996. Love the look and ride.

Under seat exhaust looks AWESOME but yep.. Sitting at the light, Hum someone is BBQing rocky mountain oysters. Wait a minute...........

You can kill that heat a bit but not all with some heat shield and depending on if you like the look header wrap.
Under my seat I have this Reflect-A-Cool 010460 | Purchase DEI, CryO2, Ny-Trex, Boom Mat & SPA Turbo Products | Design Engineering, Inc. - Thermal Performance Products

and used the black header wrap.

Still gets a bit warm at longer lights but it's a night and day difference.

Best 996 daily rider mod in my OP.. Shorai battery and Motolectric starting circuit.
Turns over on the first click every time.

·
Idiot Savant
1,187 Posts
Congrats!!

Don't worry about being too tall for it. I'm 6'4" too and I've been riding mine for years, and loving it. The only tough part is getting your head below the windscreen when you're that tall. I picked up an aftermarket windscreen that's 2" higher and it helps. I don't have to bow my back as much. Not that I really NEED to be behind the windscreen on public roads but the bike does better on windy days if you minimize the drag and I just like the feel of hugging the tank. I'm a real ricky-racer. :D

OH... watch your knees. I found that while riding fast and squeezing the tank with my knees I tend to also press down on the side panels of the fairing with my knees too. After years of pressure on hot fairings I now have a slight indent on them. I just think of it as "customized".
:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Congrats to you. Yes, everyone should have a turn with the SBK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You think that sbk is teaching you something now? Go do some track days!

That's just about the only way to even come close to the amount of fun/learning you can have - even on one of these old Tamburini dinosaurs...

Not that I'm dissing them, far from it, they're awesome fun, I love mine.
That is the plan, but I probably won't be able to make it till the spring due to finances and time off. Fortunately there are some good tracks near here. Looks like most beginner days are Mondays or Tuesdays or both. For now, I'm just gonna ride on some of the awesome roads we have in the area. Next week gonna ride down the 1 and prolly take the 84 to STP and then back up Skyline to the city. Super excited.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...and I must say, it's hard not to pose a little on this bike. With a full Termis and an open clutch cover, I pretty much get looks on every block. I think she would rather go 130 than 30, so I'll not be doing too much of that. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congrats I have a 998 that I just got a month or so ago, and get the same smile when i twist that throttle and let that bike do what it likes to do. I am up in Napa, join the Nor cal Ducati group on Facebook and come ride this way sometime!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts