Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After waiting for many many years to own my first Ducati, I finally bought one. Picked up a 2011 MTS Touring demonstrator with a little over 1000 kms on it and I am very excited just quietly!:) Pickup is on Saturday and cant wait!

You guys are making me nervous though about the reliability on these things with all the stories on here! :eek:

I have asked about the back brake and the dealer has mentioned the that service bulletin only applies to the bike if it is experiencing the problem which I am a little concerned about. The firmware they have indicated is up to date (2 flashes) since they have registered it. Also the warranty is the balance of the initial factory waranty of 2 years and not 2 years from when I purchased it which I suppose is fair enough.

I had a 2009 Triumph Daytona before I moved to the MTS and had a fair few issues with that but was so much fun - so it remained a love/hate relationship. I hope i dont have the same relationship with the MTS!.....

Question to you experienced people, is there anything else that I should be asking them before I ride off?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yogi,

First, congratulations on your first Ducati. There's nothing like starting with the best! My '11 Touring is my fourth Duc and, by far, my favorite. I wish it sounded a bit more like my '96 SuperSport, though.

I didn't look at your profile, so am not sure of your location. You mentioned KM's on the odometer, so I assume you're not in the US. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that demo bikes were sold as new and you'd receive the full 2-yr warranty, and not the balance you speak of.

Regarding the rear brake issue - I never complained about the weak brake to my dealer but still had the factory fix installed within a few months of purchase with no questions asked.

There was a promounced clunk in the front forks that was noticeable during slow speed over bumps and I brought this to my dealer's attention. They were aware of the issue (shims necessary), and they installed them at my request.

Did I tell you I love the bike? Am riding from Grand Junction back home to Colorado Springs today with several very scenic and twisty roads lined up. I have over 5000 total miles and the bike (knock on wood) has performed flawlessly.

Again, I would seriously consider getting that full two-yr warranty before you sign on the dotted line. Or perhaps arrange a good deal on the extended warranty...again, before you sign while you have the most leverage.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Regards

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
After waiting for many many years to own my first Ducati, I finally bought one. Picked up a 2011 MTS Touring demonstrator with a little over 1000 kms on it and I am very excited just quietly!:) Pickup is on Saturday and cant wait!

You guys are making me nervous though about the reliability on these things with all the stories on here! :eek:

I have asked about the back brake and the dealer has mentioned the that service bulletin only applies to the bike if it is experiencing the problem which I am a little concerned about. The firmware they have indicated is up to date (2 flashes) since they have registered it. Also the warranty is the balance of the initial factory waranty of 2 years and not 2 years from when I purchased it which I suppose is fair enough.

Question to you experienced people, is there anything else that I should be asking them before I ride off?
Adam

Make sure they do the Ohlin shims. Don't let them tell you that your bike has no problem with the Ohlins. Just tell them you want those shims installed.

I never had an issue with the rear bike. I have a 2010 and 16,000 mile on it. I replace the rear pads. Make sure you use the softest rear pads you can buy and don't worry about the wear. Stock rear pads tend to score the rotors.

I have had no experience with the countless other quirks that this model shows here at the forum.

The Ohlins drove me crazy, though. Especially when the Dealer told me they couldn't hear a thing.

Dan

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Good for you!
Just ride the darn thing and if it breaks fix it , don't go looking for problems ...
Extended warrantee MAY ease some of the doubt.
You should have 2 years to buy one.

ENJOY the ride and ride safe.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Clank! Front end

Adam

Make sure they do the Ohlin shims. Don't let them tell you that your bike has no problem with the Ohlins. Just tell them you want those shims installed.

I never had an issue with the rear bike. I have a 2010 and 16,000 mile on it. I replace the rear pads. Make sure you use the softest rear pads you can buy and don't worry about the wear. Stock rear pads tend to score the rotors.

I have had no experience with the countless other quirks that this model shows here at the forum.

The Ohlins drove me crazy, though. Especially when the Dealer told me they couldn't hear a thing.

Dan

Okay!

I thought maybe it was just the Multi or Ducati thing. I've riden several bikes and have owned 2 sport bikes R1 (sold for the Duc) and a R6 which I still have and it has 20k miles almost. I work on a military base and we have speed bumps. The front end clanks like if the fairings were loose or something isnt tight. I thought this was just the way the bike is. I saw you say something about shimes. is this what my bike needs? Im going in on next Tuesday for the 600 miles service. I already brought up the rear brake issue. Will this damage the bike if not fixed. I have a 2012 MTS S touring. Thanks

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
congrats and enjoy,

·
Registered
183 Posts
Okay!

I thought maybe it was just the Multi or Ducati thing. I've riden several bikes and have owned 2 sport bikes R1 (sold for the Duc) and a R6 which I still have and it has 20k miles almost. I work on a military base and we have speed bumps. The front end clanks like if the fairings were loose or something isnt tight. I thought this was just the way the bike is. I saw you say something about shimes. is this what my bike needs? Im going in on next Tuesday for the 600 miles service. I already brought up the rear brake issue. Will this damage the bike if not fixed. I have a 2012 MTS S touring. Thanks
I was told by my dealer's maintenance department that the clunking was not causing any harm, but they were aware of the issue and agreed to install the shims. They did the install gratis, save for the five hours I spent at the shop getting it done.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Congratulations. I'm a bit confused about your warranty situation though. All the demos sold in the US come with a full 2 year warranty from the date you purchase the bike, even if the demo sat in the show room for 4 years. That's an incentive given by Ducati to dealers for them to take advantage of (as far as I know).

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
enjoy the ride ... my advice is not take too much notice of what may go wrong .... basically it is the exception rather than the norm .....

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
Congratulations. I'm a bit confused about your warranty situation though. All the demos sold in the US come with a full 2 year warranty from the date you purchase the bike, even if the demo sat in the show room for 4 years. That's an incentive given by Ducati to dealers for them to take advantage of (as far as I know).
In Oz , if you buy a demo , you will only get the balance of factory warranty ( ie the warranty period starts when the bike was first registered )

if you mericans get the 2 yrs from when you buy a demo Duc, clearly there is an imbalance in the Force

·
Registered
181 Posts
I agree, ask for the forks and the brakes to be done in your next service-even if you have not experienced issues, worth doing because next owner will ask or your warranty will run out and you had wished it had been done.

put some pressure on that dealer of yours - I am sure hes happy about the sale but now is the time to make your mind up if you want to take bike back for servicing, after all the services will cost you a few bucks over the next few years and you want someone you can trust.

speak to their service dept (usually a different person than the slimy sales guy) and get it agreed/sorted for the next service - if they say no then start thinking about an alternative dealer.

bugs

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
The OP hasn't ridden yet and you are advising getting the forks and brakes done ??? Seriously ????

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
^^^
Yes a GOOD dealer will know about all service bulletens and Issues and have them ALL taken care of ,if the factory has let them slip thru.

I think it is very important to have a dealership or service Dept that you can talk to and that they look after the new bike buyer Promptly, Anyone who buys a new bike should be at the top of the list IF ANY issues arrise.
The service dept should squeeze you in Immediately IF something is wrong , They should take care of you as IF it was their mistake that they missed something during the PDI..

At work we fixed our own mistakes VERY QUICKLY and it took PRIORITY over everything else.

Bikes should be set up before delivery and looked over and inspected very closely by the selling dealer...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the fantastic information guys - really appreciate it. I'm gonna take the advice of most of you and just enjoy and not look for problems. If I get the feeling that there might be a hint of problem then I will raise at the next service whilst it is still under warranty. Seems like we Australian's get reamed when it comes to Ducati compared to the 'mericans! :) We seem to pay through the nose or is that just me!

Very excited ...wish it was Saturday....:D

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Adam

Just a couple of minor points that may help your Multi and prevent some unexpected quirks. The bike can be quirky. Don't give it any excuses.

1. Keep the bike on a battery tender whenever you are not riding it. Every day of the year.

2. Keep the key away from the bike when you are not riding. Do not keep it in that front holder. You do not need or want the key in constant communication with the bike sensors when the engine is off.

Seems like we Australian's get reamed when it comes to Ducati compared to the 'mericans! :) We seem to pay through the nose or is that just me!
I too would love to know why Aussies pay more than $30,000 for this bike. I do not understand the difference in the currency valuations, except that the US Dollar and the Aus Dollar are not equal.

I'm guessing that the income of Aussies (for the same comparable position) must be substantially higher. If a guy here in the States makes $50,000 a year: the same job in Australia pays $80,000?

If that is not the case then please tell me why you "Blokes" pay around $33,000 for a new Multi when we pay $22,000 for the same bike.

I'm probably not understanding the different monetary valuations.

I know if all things were "equal" people who live in Australia would not be charged $10,000 or more ...... just because they can get it from you without you complaining too much.

That just can't be.

Dan

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The PIN code. Get used to it, re-set the pin for security. Have the dealer walk u through the DES adjustments, traction control etc. I've met a few ppl have the "S" model but have never made any adjustments. Its super easy, and it will allow u to experience the bike to the fullest. If thats not ur thing, don't waste ur money and get the Base. The adjustablility of the DES allows for very different riding experiences.

Lastly, for fun, begin your ride in 100hp,,,,ride for a few miles then crank up the power and u'll be making all the right noises ala:woohoo,,,yiippeee,,,WTH,,,,oh mama!

Use fully synthetic oil,,, shifting will be smoother. I use the soft brake pads on the front, to reduce the grabbiness. The rear brake....?what rear brake? If the italians thought u needed a good rear brake, they would have put one on. Except for parking lots, U-turns,,,,the rear brake has gotten me into more trouble than its worth so....thx ducati,,turning off ABS may get u better results.

Enjoy! Invest in tires!

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
Dan - what Aussies pay

I haven't done the exercise with Ducati , but I did with Harley a few years ago comparing the retail price of a fatboy in the states v Oz. Over the 10 yr period there was no real change in the price of the fatboy ( particularly in the States ) yet over that same period our currency went from the around $1.80 to parity with the States . Huge profits have been made somewhere on the strength of the dollar.

Don't get me started :(

I see Ducati as the same issue atmo

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Adam

Just a couple of minor points that may help your Multi and prevent some unexpected quirks. The bike can be quirky. Don't give it any excuses.

1. Keep the bike on a battery tender whenever you are not riding it. Every day of the year.

2. Keep the key away from the bike when you are not riding. Do not keep it in that front holder. You do not need or want the key in constant communication with the bike sensors when the engine is off.

I too would love to know why Aussies pay more than $30,000 for this bike. I do not understand the difference in the currency valuations, except that the US Dollar and the Aus Dollar are not equal.

I'm guessing that the income of Aussies (for the same comparable position) must be substantially higher. If a guy here in the States makes $50,000 a year: the same job in Australia pays $80,000?

If that is not the case then please tell me why you "Blokes" pay around $33,000 for a new Multi when we pay $22,000 for the same bike.

I'm probably not understanding the different monetary valuations.

I know if all things were "equal" people who live in Australia would not be charged $10,000 or more ...... just because they can get it from you without you complaining too much.

That just can't be.

Dan
In most cases it has nothing to do with the standard of living. It's usually the import taxes the country imposes on the country of origin. In Turkey for example the median income is much lower than that of the United States. However, most imported motorcycles, cars, etc... will cost approximately 3X as much.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Dan - what Aussies pay

Don't get me started :(
Andrew

Actually,that was my point.

In most cases it has nothing to do with the standard of living. It's usually the import taxes the country imposes on the country of origin. In Turkey for example the median income is much lower than that of the United States. However, most imported motorcycles, cars, etc... will cost approximately 3X as much.
Gem

Never even thought of that.

That makes the most sense.

Dan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts