Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today when I went to start my 848 the dash would flicker and turn on briefly and very dimly. I would sometimes see error 0005 SW and hear a ticking sound from the middle of the engine. First thing I did was check all fuses which were all fine. I then checked the voltage of the battery and it read 12.9v with the bike off but when I turn it on the reading drops to 5-5.5v. When I plug in the battery tender the same thing happens with the days, flickering even when the bike is off with the key removed. I assume this is a sign of a dead battery? I really hope it's something this simple!

·
Registered
847 Posts
You need a new battery.

Erratic electronic/dash instrumentation can be a first indicator of battery problems. A number of instruments use the battery voltage as a reference, so when their sensor voltage changes the readout changes. This also means that if the reference voltage changes the readout changes.

When you increase or decrease the electrical load on the battery the battery voltage output will decrease or increase. The larger the battery, and the healthier the battery, the smaller the voltage output change in response to load changes. A voltage drop from 12.9V to 5V just by turning the key indicates the battery has reached end of life.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Your battery is fubar--get a new one

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Just grabbed a new Yuasa at the local Cycle Gear. Hope this works and I can get a ride in tomorrow!

·
Registered
2001 S4, 2000 750ie Sport
359 Posts
Youll be right.
See if it starts but im betting you're going to be riding tomorrow.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANK YOU all for the advice. After leaving the new battery on my tender for 5 hours and waiting for it to show the battery was fully charged I installed in back into my 848 and everything worked as expected! I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is most likely that the battery has gone bad but if you have a loose or coroded ground it can exibit the same symptoms. Check both end of the ground wire to make sure there is no corosion and that it is tightened sufficiently. Also, a battery can show plenty of volts but have a bad cell and therefore not enough amps to be useful.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Hook it up to the tender while not riding, it should last longer.
I guess since you have one, you knew that already.

What really sucks is when the battery dies without warning while you are pumping gas, miles from home.
OK, only happened to me once, but that was one time too many.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What really sucks is when the battery dies without warning while you are pumping gas, miles from home
Yeah that's my worse nightmare. Whenever I ride it's usually far from my house in the canyons so if I break down I'm totally hosed. I think maybe I'll just make the battery something I regularly replace perhaps every two years. It's a small price to for piece of mind.

·
Registered
2001 S4, 2000 750ie Sport
359 Posts
I had a battery die while parked at the back of Mt Glorious.
All good, I've got a mate with a ute and ramps that will help me out anytime.
He was riding with me at the time.
An hour for him to get home, another hour and a half for him to drive the ute back.
We had already spent 45 minutes trying to push start the bike before he left.
I was glad when he finally arrived.
I was even happier that he remembered to grab me a drink on the way to pick me up.
Never leave home without a drink bottle.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Never leave home without a drink bottle.
Yes on that. If you get stuck out on the back 40 you may really need it.
I have been on a ride where someone crashed in the middle of nowhere and it took a couple hours or more to get a tow. Good thing they were not hurt, riding off the road and down a cliff. :rolleyes:

Had a flat way out on Angeles Forest once and the tire was destroyed. No cell service, I flagged down a car and they called me a tow when they got cell service. Was still there quite a while. The AAA towing comes in handy now and then. I was probably at least 50 miles from home. No charge to take me and my bike there.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had a flat way out on Angeles Forest once and the tire was destroyed. No cell service, I flagged down a car and they called me a tow when they got cell service. Was still there quite a while. The AAA towing comes in handy now and then. I was probably at least 50 miles from home. No charge to take me and my bike there.
Oh man...I am headed up to Angeles crest and highway 39 next weekend!!!! I hope to have better luck than you!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Oh man...I am headed up to Angeles crest and highway 39 next weekend!!!! I hope to have better luck than you!
Could have been worse. The bike gave me a nasty tank slapper, and the rear tire was the culprit.
I was able to get stopped on the side without crashing.

Always bring a drink and a snack. And a cell phone. Maybe consider a spot or one of those emergency devices.
Plus zip ties and duct tape, even though you are not planning a kidnapping. :p

If you believe WC Fields, always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snake bite.
Furthermore always carry a small snake. :LOL:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts