Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, this is not my first rodeo. But I haven’t been in Monster world since my 20th anniversary M1100s. My first bike was an M620, then an M900 followed by a Panigale 1199 and an MTS1200, etc. Always had Ducatis — this will me number 11 — and am now coming back to Monster-land with a 2019 1200s Anniversario.

On the ride from Hamburg to Berlin yesterday, I noticed, at 6’3” and 46 years old, that I’m going to have to make the kind of mods I’d long forgotten, since I’ve been riding a Multistrada and an XDiavel for a few years — I need more legroom and/or knee replacement surgery.

What are other taller riders doing to help? I’ve ordered the touring seat, but I fear what I really need are adjustable rearsets THAT ALLOW LOWER SETTINGS. Is there anything out there?

IIRC the lowering-peg kits from MFW Vario and others push your feet out so far it’s hard to hit the shifter/brake pedal. But I’ve only found rearsets that raise the footpegs.

I wonder if anyone’s gone the extra mile to machine his own? Or am I missing something on the market?

Thanks, Matt

PS I know clearance can be an issue, but I’m less concerned about that than I used to be. I’ll ride my multi on trips to the Alps and a V4 on the track, so I really just want this Monster to be a comfortable commuter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is the touring seat taller? I don't have a 1200 so I can't comment on rearsets but, since you're tall to begin with, you could afford to add some padding to the seat. Making it higher will reduce your knee bend.

I have tried the vario footpegs on my S2R. They do cause the pegs to stick about an extra half inch so you have to angle your foot inward slightly to operate the brake pedal and shift lever. That alone didn't bother me and I have tiny feet. If your feet are wide then it may not be that much of an issue. The only reason I didn't continue using them is that I wanted to bring the pegs forward a little but the lever/pedal don't have enough adjustment to not make it feel awkward. I bought mine from here MC Motoparts Motorcycles Parts Online Store They aren't very expensive if you want to give them a try. The company is a Chinese manufacturer but I've ordered a few of their parts and found them to be of good quality. They aren't going to be as bad as off brand chinese junk on ebay. I'm actually still using their footpegs since they're very grippy. I just removed the piece that allows them to be adjusted around their axis.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi there, this is not my first rodeo. But I haven’t been in Monster world since my 20th anniversary M1100s. My first bike was an M620, then an M900 followed by a Panigale 1199 and an MTS1200, etc. Always had Ducatis — this will me number 11 — and am now coming back to Monster-land with a 2019 1200s Anniversario.

On the ride from Hamburg to Berlin yesterday, I noticed, at 6’3” and 46 years old, that I’m going to have to make the kind of mods I’d long forgotten, since I’ve been riding a Multistrada and an XDiavel for a few years — I need more legroom and/or knee replacement surgery.

What are other taller riders doing to help? I’ve ordered the touring seat, but I fear what I really need are adjustable rearsets THAT ALLOW LOWER SETTINGS. Is there anything out there?

IIRC the lowering-peg kits from MFW Vario and others push your feet out so far it’s hard to hit the shifter/brake pedal. But I’ve only found rearsets that raise the footpegs.

I wonder if anyone’s gone the extra mile to machine his own? Or am I missing something on the market?

Thanks, Matt

PS I know clearance can be an issue, but I’m less concerned about that than I used to be. I’ll ride my multi on trips to the Alps and a V4 on the track, so I really just want this Monster to be a comfortable commuter.
Rizoma eccentric foot pegs are likely your only option for lowering the pegs...should be a direct bolt on...and every rearsets I've come across are more suited to raising with the exception of ducabike...but that's an assumption made by their use of eccentric foot pegs as well

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for those answers, team! I guess I will try the eccentric footpegs since they’re not very expensive anyway. It can’t hurt.

I wonder why I’ve never heard of anyone machining his or her own rearsets? It can’t be that hard.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks for those answers, team! I guess I will try the eccentric footpegs since they’re not very expensive anyway. It can’t hurt.

I wonder why I’ve never heard of anyone machining his or her own rearsets? It can’t be that hard.
Its a big part...my RSV rearsets from Thailand cost as much as the aluminum would have

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Modding a bike has to beat knee surgery. I say try that first.

Where do you draw the line between tall and very tall?
I ask because my perception got warped a while back when I met a real estate agent who was extra tall. According to their web site he was a former pro basketball player (go figure) and was 6'11". Wow. Tallest person I have ever met. Would not want to piss him off, LOL. I am all of about 5'8", so anything over 6' is tall to me.

·
Registered
823 Posts
@showerfan (Matt),
Lowering the foot-peg will give you more leg-room but will reduce cornering clearance.
If I were tall like you, I would raise the seat with more padding which will also add more comfort.
You have a problem more easily solved than a short guy.

·
Registered
951 Posts
At 6'3'' myself it was the exhaust that kept me from the Monster it was
always against my rt leg and I couldn't deal with it just always being in the
way.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven’t noticed that as a problem. I had read about it but didn’t notice the exhaust at all, other than the sound. I’ve actually already ordered the full termis but I frankly wouldn’t mind saving the money and sticking with this exhaust — it’s ok and legal. Off topic.

I am only 6’3” but it’s all in the legs. I have a 36” inseam, which makes sporty Italian bikes difficult to fit on. Will definitely raise the seat more.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way, not sure if I’m reading this right, but it looks like the CNC rearsets can go 20 mm lower than stock!

Anyone tried them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Luckily I raised my seat all the way and at 6'2" haven't had any complaints.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found the answer and it is glorious!
Had a custom seat made and I don’t know why I haven’t been doing this for 20 years. It’s 6cm higher than stock. Perfect.

·
Registered
126 Posts
How much did that custom seat cost you? I'm 6'4"-6'5" (they don't measure me anymore at the doctor, just fill in the box with "lanky mfer") and I usually deal with the lack of leg room by complaining to my buddies and taking no decisive action.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it was actually very expensive, like 750 euros, but i did choose the most expensive leather. it could probably be done for a few hundred, and it's made a truly unbelievable difference. it feels like the bike was custom made for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts