Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I took my MTS off the battery tender and rolled it out of the garage for what I expected to be the first ride of the season. But it wouldn't start. It was frustrating and I spent hours working on it trying to figure it out. Finally, I had it towed to a dealership. Today they called me and told me that the reason the bike wouldn't start was that when I replaced the battery in my key fob, I failed to remove the plastic covering on the battery. They removed the little plastic covering, put the battery back in the key fob and the bike fired right up.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I never trust he fob and assume that's the problem if the bike won't start... use the near field (put the fob on the black plastic to the right of the dash) or use the code... if those don't work THEN start worrying. :)

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,882 Posts
Ever noticed how easy it is to be a dumb ass when you own a Ducati? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
26,460 Posts
It's not exclusive. I once took my MX bike (two stroke) to the racetrack with the motor not yet installed cause we ran out of time Saturday night. Got signed up, we put the bike together and it lasted three practice sessions and half the first moto before the transmission locked up.

We never put crankcase oil i it.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
So you solemnly swear that you will NEVER do this again?
For how long? As long as you live.
And this time you mean it! Right? :D

Sorry. I'll try not to do something like that myself.
Thanks for the lesson.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never trust he fob and assume that's the problem if the bike won't start... use the near field (put the fob on the black plastic to the right of the dash) or use the code... if those don't work THEN start worrying. :)
I could not get the pin code to even appear, nor did the battery show any juice, though it was topped off from being charged all winter. Apparently when the fob is out of commission, everything shuts down. Even the dealer could not get the dash to display anything at all, even the pin code, untilt the problem with the fob battery was discovered and fixed.

·
Excel Addict
5,245 Posts
Yes, most of us have probably done dumb things.
I sold a bike that I wish I never sold and still rue that after 15 years or so.
Young kids took it out for a test and deal was done.
Wheeled it out for the buyer to ride away and cash in my hand.
Then it would not start!
They used the kill switch after the test and purchase.
I never ever use that!
Finally wo5ked out what was wrong and deal done.
Bummer I worked out what was wrong!

·
Registered
443 Posts
My old art teacher from High School rode his bicycle down to the emissions testing place to renew his inspection sticker.......we all do dumb things from time to time

·
Registered
132 Posts
koplen
I hope this makes you feel human, my neighbour bought a new Amarok in December it has spent 5 weeks in the dealership with a tranny problem the dealership was about to replace the tranny in the final removal of the tranny they found that the plastic coating on one of the earth wires had not had the production protective film removed before installation. remove the coating reinstall tranny problem fixed.
If any number of checks on an assembly line cant stop it what hope have we mere mortals got

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did the same thing except it was the red dot sight for my crossbow. Put in new battery and nothing. After thinking about for a moment I wondered if I put the battery in upside down. Pulled the battery out and flipped it over and there's the sticker. Duh!

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,882 Posts
Ok, since we’re all be so honest and airing out our dirty laundry, I was once one a bike trip. Woke up in Tuscaloosa and headed out to The Dragon. Just got through Birmingham and THOUGHT I needed to fart.

Never do that again. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I could not get the pin code to even appear, nor did the battery show any juice, though it was topped off from being charged all winter. Apparently when the fob is out of commission, everything shuts down. Even the dealer could not get the dash to display anything at all, even the pin code, untilt the problem with the fob battery was discovered and fixed.
Hmm... no you should check into that more... the code and nearfield are there exactly FOR when the fob is out of commission (it's the only time I've needed to use them... dead fob batteries). Maybe something else was going wrong too?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts